Only NOKIA can save windows phone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis Amar Singh

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Nah, the phones are fine, Nothing to do with that. Sure the 950/950XL are not the fanciest looking phones in the world but, the hold their own in a basic design and allowing 3rd parties to make back covers that completely re-designs how the phone looks. Nice covers so far...

What Microsoft needs to do is get the budget to start a marketing campaign again, KILL every layout they had promoting the phone and change the pattern of it. Apple did this a while ago with the PC thing, Microsoft should go towards the "Think Different" type of marketing commercials.

Everyone has a iOS or Android device, so why not go down this marketing road....If anything you can get people looking into the phone, and just maybe they will buy one, the more that buy it, the more apps that come out and that will make us all happy...
I agree with you on microsoft should market their devices but when they make new models every 18 to 24 months market what????

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was at Slush last week, in Helsinki. I heard the CEO of Nokia (of the board) during a "how do you make a century-old company" (Slush is startup centric). Well, he was asked about phones and he said "Nokia is out of the handset business. If we return to the mobile business, it's certainly not at handset level, as there's no longer room for innovation. Always a touchscreen, 500+ Android manufacturers, if we Nokia are to return on the mobile business, it will be under a more disruptive way".

The short version is "Nokia is out of the smartphone business".

1 - Source. Also..."CEO of Nokia (of the Board)" means what? The CEO of Nokia - Rajeev Suri - the CEO of Nokia Technologies - Haidamus - or Nokia's Chairman - Risto Siilasmaa?
2 - Nokia has already officially spoke about that. No, they will not return to the manufacturing of phones. That doesn't mean they won't return to phones. Furthermore, the last statutory change to Nokia Technologies core objectives not only includes mobile devices, it also includes health and smart-wearables.
3 - If you're one of those rooting for the non-return of Nokia phones, you will be disappointed ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!

Well, the 950/950XL are the result of the use of designs Nokia had previously rejected. These phones were developed completely under Microsoft. Microsoft simply wanted to cut costs as much as possible and designers are a cost (which is understandable given how much money WP makes them lose). Also, it doesn't help that a lot of talented designers stayed at Nokia ;)

That said...leave Nokia out of this. WP already took them to the brink of extinction once. They don't need to try it again to know it's poisonous. And at this point, even if Microsoft licensed the Nokia designs, marketing and brand (which is the way Nokia will tackle the smartphone business in the future), WP is already beyond saving.
Microsoft simply took too long to take it seriously (and I'm being generous assuming they're taking it seriously now, which is something that isn't really clear...).
Now it's too late.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!

Weird lol.. MS has already said that these designs were part of the nokia acquisition so this is what your savior would've given you in the end. Let's wait till next year before claiming that the MS design team has run out of creative juices

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
1. Source : Siilasmaa. The talks are not live yet. But it has been retweeted by the official SlushHQ account
2. no comment
3. I don't care if Nokia returns or not in the phone business, I was just reporting what I heard.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

The so called unique Lumia-design didn't sell. Very few people liked the design with all the bright colors. At a time when the phone-market was still open Nokia failed with a narrow design only liked by the few.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The so called unique Lumia-design didn't sell. Very few people liked the design with all the bright colors. At a time when the phone-market was still open Nokia failed with a narrow design only liked by the few.

That's why even Apple tried to copy that when they launched colorful iPhone 5C.
The truth is that Lumia designs were bold and beautiful. Whether you liked it or not is your personal choice. But many people liked that. And so even the people with black and white Android phones started using colourful covers for their phones. It was a trend setter!

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Obviously, sentiments vary according to region. Nokia for Indians is what Blackberry is for West. When everybody were busy with flagships, only one company thought about people who could not afford flagships. And it was Nokia. Their goal was to connect every people on this planet irrespective of the money they had in their pocket and so, they launched phones across all the budget lines and with awesome design and specs. At least pay some respect to that vision. They were the first to bring OIS to smartphones, they discovered clear black tech and supersensitive touch. Still they get 0 recognition. What a world. Wow!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The truth is that Lumia designs were bold and beautiful. Whether you liked it or not is your personal choice. But many people liked that. And so even the people with black and white Android phones started using colourful covers for their phones. It was a trend setter!
The iPhone 5C has been discontinued.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

I'm just saying it didn't sell... and it seems the iphone 5c didn't sell either. I have never seen a person with a 5c.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
. At least pay some respect to that vision. They were the first to bring OIS to smartphones, they discovered clear black tech and supersensitive touch. Still they get 0 recognition. What a world. Wow!

I have mad respect for what Nokia did. They were market leaders for a long time and made great tech(still do). I have owned many Nokias over the years, and I actually loved my 5110 symbian phone. It was better than the IPhone at that time. But the the Lumias design didn't go with the masses. That's a fact.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Oh please. As if a generic black or white slab would've won anyone over. The bright colors and unique designs undoubtable helped with more than a few sales because people actually noticed them. If MS hadn't dropped the ball with marketing and other decisions things might've been different.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Oh please. As if a generic black or white slab would've won anyone over. The bright colors and unique designs undoubtable helped with more than a few sales because people actually noticed them. If MS hadn't dropped the ball with marketing and other decisions things might've been different.

Why did they not sell then? People knew about the phones. Why did they buy Samsungs over Lumias? The app-gap wasn't too serious back then. It's because most people don't want bold design that distance them from the masses. They want to have the same as the next guy.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Why did they not sell then? People knew about the phones. Why did they buy Samsungs over Lumias? The app-gap wasn't too serious back then. It's because most people don't want bold design that distance them from the masses. They want to have the same as the next guy.

The app gap wasn't too serious? How's that?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

950 & 950 XL are Nokia designs. Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte