Only NOKIA can save windows phone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How can a name save something, the design teams have either been merged with Microsoft or let go. The Nokia as we knew it no longer exists, they will be entering the smartphone race again, will take them a long time to get to where they were and they certainly wont want to help Microsoft, when all is said and done the familes of the people at Nokia were affected negatively and that wont be forgotten any time soon. Windows 10 and Surface brand will do it for MS along with wide spread enterprise adoption which naturally filters into the mainstream.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Nokia is known for their designs but mostly their durability. I still know users of the Nokia 3310 even up to this day. Now that Microsoft have taken over, I really believe they have learn a lot from Nokia. I think its too early to judge Microsoft, I like their design so far, but their durability is to early to speak about. Lets give it some more years to see if our phone still functions just as first purchase and then we can give them a fair judgement.

Durahl

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
You do realize that the 950's, the most recent Phones, still carry the legacy of the Nokia design Philosophy which kind of makes you contradict yourself?

Personally I'm still waiting for an actual Microsoft designed Phone which still hasn't happened. If they'd make a Surface designed Phone without a Camera Lense sticking out on the back I'd be all set.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While Nokia will not save anything related to Windows phone, it is too early to write off the platform. Microsoft are playing the long game for Universal Windows. Let's see where it goes.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense that they should be Nokia pipeline designs, however that said, these phones seem to be lacking any of that Nokia design flair.
Whilst they're top end in terms of specs, these look more like those OEM designs that get rebadged.
One wonders if something had to give now that MS is outsourcing manufacturing.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I would say, slapping a custom intel pentium m3 on lumia or "surface phone" is the way to go and continuum will perform better, but I can't say about battery life.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Other people have said it as well, but it doesn't appear to register for some people. For all intents and purposes, Microsoft is Nokia. Microsoft bought all of the parts of Nokia that involved engineering and manufacturing mobile handsets. We may not know if it was Microsoft's push that caused the 950 to be such a conservative design, but it was designed largely by the same group that designed every other Lumia phone.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!

Tautology. Microsoft bought Nokia so Nokia is Microsoft; it follows therefore that Microsoft, the current maker of Windows Phones, will be the sole authority in "saving" Windows Mobile. So...

Has anyone heard of "thermoplastic elastomer silicone vulcanate"?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1. Source : Siilasmaa. The talks are not live yet. But it has been retweeted by the official SlushHQ account
2. no comment
3. I don't care if Nokia returns or not in the phone business, I was just reporting what I heard.

Until you can provide a source, you'll therefore understand if people doubt you. All I've read reported from Slush that he said was with concerns to a return to phone manufacturing. Which falls in line with what Nokia has been saying for ages. They're not interested in manufacturing phones.
Manufacturing is what makes companies lose the most money. So it's only natural that Nokia only wants to manufacture themselves things that they can make a profit on, such as the OZO.
None of that prevents Nokia to follow the normal current plan of returning to smartphones by outsourcing the manufacturing and distribution to a partner.

Other people have said it as well, but it doesn't appear to register for some people. For all intents and purposes, Microsoft is Nokia. Microsoft bought all of the parts of Nokia that involved engineering and manufacturing mobile handsets. We may not know if it was Microsoft's push that caused the 950 to be such a conservative design, but it was designed largely by the same group that designed every other Lumia phone.

Apparently what hasn't registered is that what you just said is completely false on several accounts ;)
1 - Microsoft is not Nokia. Neither in their corporate values, nor their modus operandi.
2 - Microsoft bought the manufacturing and distribution division of Nokia yes. However, it's completely false that the people working on designs etc moved to Microsoft. Actually, in case you're not aware, the "creator" of the fabula design that you saw on Nokia Lumias - Axel Meyer - remains at Nokia and is the current Head of Design at Nokia Technologies. And the creator of the Nokia 920 design from which a ton of subsequent Lumias derived - Marko Ahtisaari - left Nokia the month after they announced the acquisition of the D&S division by Microsoft.
3 - Many engineers actually remained at Nokia since the R&D teams were not part of the deal.

So what you have is a lot of people (including, yes, some engineers, specially from the PureView team) from manufacturing and distribution but not a lot from the design department. All the Microsoft Lumias on the market are using old designs which the engineers at Microsoft only tweaked to fit in or take out things. And that's because Nokia retained a lot of the design talent. That's why the only "patents" Microsoft got from Nokia aren't actually patents but copyrights for design portfolios. Microsoft bought the stock of designs Nokia had (including those that had been long rejected by Nokia) and has been using them.

So until the Surface team takes full control of the handsets (which is currently happening), you'll keep seeing reused and rehashed designs from the old Nokia portfolios. But that doesn't make those Lumias, Nokias in disguise. Nor does it mean those Lumias were designed by Nokia. They were designed at Nokia. But only those that Nokia would approve would get the right to become an official Nokia design.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Agreed with jmshub. And this debate is quite sterile because people praising Panay or Nokia are the ultimate saviour are quite desperate.

Some fans want a Nokia device by any means, even if it's a cheap Foxconn-manufactured/distribued/maintained iPhone clone.

Other fans (who didn't know Nokia when it was successful) want a "Surface Phone", because it's MS, because it's Panay, as if one guy woud behold the truth. A surface phone for the sake of it. Even if it took 3 iterations to have a mature Surface Pro (3).

Both groups are desperate, to my eyes. And are doomed to be disappointed. As Dan said, no surface phone in spring 2016. And if MS is working on a entreprise device which could be the surface phone, then *maybe* it's camera will be just OK, not Pureview, etc.

People tend to prefer ideology, principles, to facts.

And when it comes to choose a phone, my facts are : what are my needs. My needs are 80% satisfied by a 640 : I love the design, it doesn't feel cheap, only the camera is 'meh', as I'm a mobile photographer. If the 950 fills the gap, with a Pureview camera which could replace my 1020, then I don't need a Surfacephone (at least right now), nor a "Nokia phone saving WP".

The 950 is to the windows environment what the Nokia 808 was to Symbian: every technical specification to the max, no real compromise.

The (new) Nokia would have to redesign/engineer something, the Saint-Panay team would have also to issue a first phone. Take the 950/XL for what it is : the expression of mutual maturity between the MS and ex-Nokia teams.

I'm sure Panay and his team will release amazing devices, I'm not so sure the first device will be a keeper. Like the first iPhones. Like the MS band. Like the first Surfaces.

So back to the topic: enjoy what's on the shelves, instead of praying for saviours or heroes who can't exist, or by asking too much.

2015-2016 is not the timeframe for a Surface phone, nor a Nokia handset. But if you loved Nokia, if you love Microsoft, go and buy that 950.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'd still be happy if Nokia was the "architect" of their new phones. I liked them more than Microsoft Mobile in apps and custom features.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Until you can provide a source, you'll therefore understand if people doubt you. All I've read reported from Slush that he said was with concerns to a return to phone manufacturing. Which falls in line with what Nokia has been saying for ages. They're not interested in manufacturing phones.
Manufacturing is what makes companies lose the most money. So it's only natural that Nokia only wants to manufacture themselves things that they can make a profit on, such as the OZO.
None of that prevents Nokia to follow the normal current plan of returning to smartphones by outsourcing the manufacturing and distribution to a partner.

Of course I understand if people doubt me, but I don't care. I know what I've heard, and I've discussed this topic so many times with my Finnish friends.

30 sec of Google brought this: Nokia Chairman: If push disruptive new phone will return - Sunning View and again, when videos are live, you'll be able to listen to the (interesting) talk yourself.

As for the "new" strategy, it's brand-milking, and very profitable. Even without investing a lot into it, they know they are loved by a lot of people, and can generate a revenue out of their brand image. That's why they went Android, not because it was giving the finger to Microsoft (political statement), but as practical move (80% of the market).

And I admire Nokia for that. When the board decided to desinvest from manufacturing, they've succeeded in presenting themselves as "victims" of Elop and the naughty Americans. When it was only a capitalistic (and reasonable) move. It's not the first time they do that in their history: boots, rubber, etc., when a business was no longer profitable enough, they've sold them, closed them or created spin offs. That's how a company older than the Finnish Republic survives, evolves and moves forward.

But that's another topic (and it would be more pleasant to talk about it with a beer). The topic here is : only NOKIA can save WP, and clearly, it is not true. Only Microsoft (not the ex-Nokia part, but the software editor) can.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes they have been discontinued, but not because of their colourful design. But because it was still too costly for people who are not Apple fans.
and the fact that whatever cheap manufacturing processes were used lead the phone to literally fall apart... talk about an overpriced piece of crap....

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft makes amazing phones BUT they are not good in DESIGNING phones. MS is out of ideas. Lumias were unique for their design, the 930 and 830 used metal an year ago but the 950 and the 950xl use polycarbonate. Common people think that these phones are useless bcz of their boring design. SO ONLY NOKIA CAN SAVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!
After reading the title I just wanted to come in here and say LOL :grin:
Because if NOKIA was going to save anything, that time passed and @Moia has long moved on, the creator of the iconic N9 thus all the phones that came after it.
Even with the N9, they didnt do anything super special (except curved glass and no button UI) for the format, a larger battery and ruggedness would have been welcomed.
But it is good to see M$ is embracing some of Nokia's patents, atleast some of their feature in WM10. E.g. dialer that searches.

ArmandsFM

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
There is always a possibility to return to NOKIA roots by switching to Jolla phones with Sailfish OS. Jolla team is mostly made up from former NOKIA people. Interesting devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss