dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I plan to buy the 950xl but right now I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I've never really used Windows Phone so I'm not sure what it does in every case. For directions and GPS I use Google Maps and that works out really well. What does Windows Phone and Windows Phone 10 have for gps? Also, I use Chrome as my browser. Will I still be able to do that with a Windows Phone or do I have to use Bing? Finally is there any way to backup and SYNC your contacts on your phone with your contacts in Outlook without having to go into the cloud, like the old ActiveSync?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
1. What does Windows Phone and Windows Phone 10 have for gps?
If you're referring to navigation instead of just GPS, then the default Maps app is available in Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile. Availability of traffic information depends on location. Alternatively, you may download Waze or Inrix traffic depending on which is more compatible for your area.

2. Will I still be able to do that (use Chrome as my browser) with a Windows Phone or do I have to use Bing?
No, and no (because Bing is not a browser). Windows 10 Mobile comes with Microsoft Edge. Of course you can download a third party browser, but Chrome isn't one of those that can be downloaded at the moment.

3. Finally, is there any way to backup and SYNC your contacts on your phone... without having to [use] the cloud?
This doesn't seem to be possible at the moment.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so how are the Micorosoft navigation maps compared to Google Maps navigation?

I have not used Google Maps navigation so I can't give you a detailed comparison. However, occasionally, my Uber drivers use it and every time they use it I get the shortest route even if it is the most congested one (since there is no traffic information in Google Maps in my area yet). The same is true for (Bing) Maps... but Bing Maps offers at least four different routes which can be chosen from. In other cities where traffic information is available, (when I was in Bangkok for example) (Bing) Maps seemed to adjust the route based on traffic.

As for "resolution", Google Maps is currently ahead - with more POIs (although a lot of it are also wrong - where I'm in), more accurate/complete addresses and more updated roads (even roads that aren't there yet but are currently under construction are already there).

Of course, these are based on my location - experience and quality will vary across regions. But if you would let me choose between Google Maps or (Bing) Maps, I'll choose Bing for two reasons:
1. it is the default of Windows Phones - who knows what those third party apps for Google Maps would do, especially just after the recent news on the fake Tweetium app that steals passwords, although nothing can be stolen out of location data alone
2. it is the same as Google Maps in terms of navigation routing (not because I'm a fan).

But if you add Waze into the choices, I'll choose Waze (for traffic).

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft maps for windows 10 works pretty well. It has traffic info and routing time estimation. It's been pretty accurate for me. It does not have real time traffic like Google. This means it checks traffic the first time you initiate a route but won't continually check traffic like Google. This hasn't proven to be an issue for me as of yet. It works pretty well with Cortana. If you ask Cortana to take you to the mall for example it'll find it and offer directions. You can set up favorites that also work with Cortana. I have a few places set up as favorites so I can ask Cortana to take me to work, the coffee shop, the gym etc. and it knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's not quite as nice as Google maps but not too far off.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
It's worth noting that HERE is the underlying data provider for Bing, Amazon and a bunch of other companies, and their maps are generally of high quality, more so outside the United States.

As for apps, the built-in Maps app on Windows 10 is a huge improvement from the one on WP8.1 and now includes turn-by-turn voice navigation (don't really need a separate HERE Drive app anymore). Also you can download entire state/country maps for offline use, which is pretty neat.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Just installed win10 on my L925. I still have HERE maps and it works very well. I have used HERE maps and google maps and google has the edge. Google actually tells you what side of the street the address is on. Great for night driving.
You won't go wrong with either mapping system.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
It's weird. When I hard reset my Lumia 925 for the denim update, I lost my HERE maps. I was using the map replacement which was more inconvenient.
After getting the new win10 update I have my HERE navigation back.

mihnat

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I too lost my HERE maps with the last set of jammed up app updates from the store. It updated HERE maps then told me to use Microsoft (bing) maps when I clicked on the icon. I went back to HERE maps in my app library and it said that it was no longer compatible with this version of WP10. Blah! Any ideas of how to get a working version of HERE maps back?!

On the good side,my HERE Drive+ is locking up less than it has been so still using it.

To answer the initial person's question and to concur with others - windows maps does route OK in general but the UI has some weird stuff going on (see reviews on app store), less POIs than Google and is just plumb ugly compared to HERE and Google maps. Kinda back to Justin Long and John Hodgman after a brief time of inspired design.

RkNguyen

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Don't update to the lastest HERE maps, it will stop working after update from store for build 10586.11.

Just installed win10 on my L925. I still have HERE maps and it works very well. I have used HERE maps and google maps and google has the edge. Google actually tells you what side of the street the address is on. Great for night driving.
You won't go wrong with either mapping system.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I traded my 925 in for the 950 4 days ago and am really liking the 950. The Microsoft maps on the 950 have the same voice navigator as HERE did. The 950 also displays what side of the street the address is on also. Great for when you drive at night and can't see addresses.
Overall i really don't care if HERE comes back or not. So far the Microsoft maps are as good or better.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Don't update to the lastest HERE maps, it will stop working after update from store for build 10586.11.

I actually had HERE maps after I installed build 10586.11 on my L640. Worked well enough. I didn't keep it long though.

Have the Lumia 950 now without HERE maps and find the Microsoft maps to be as good or better for my purposes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss