How to re-download speech settings in Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and how to get Hey Cortana?

aroy27

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
How to re-download speech settings in Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and how to get "Hey Cortana"

I own a Lumia 930 (bought in India). Recently I upgraded it to the latest build 10586 directly from ver8.1 (Denim). Initially most of the OS behaved well with few minor hiccups but I couldn't get "Hey Cortana" to work as it kept saying that the Region and Speech settings had to match (which in reality it did). I had the phone set to Region: India and Speech: English(India). Cortana seemed to be working fine but not "Hey Cortana".
After reading some online posts I decided to soft reset the phone which didn't work and finally I did a hard reset. Since then "Hey Cortana" under Setting-->Extras is missing and Cortana will not work. With a bit of more troubleshooting I have narrowed down the issue to the speech settings. If I change the region to UK or US along with using its respective speech settings I can use Cortana but Hey Cortana irrespective is still missing. But if I set the phone to India settings then it Cortana's voice commands don't work. It keeps on waiting for a voice input from me. Also inspite of doing a hard reset my phone still retains English(India) speech without downloading it.
So here is my concern:
1. How do I re-download English(India) speech hoping to fix Cortana? Also how do I delete any downloaded speech settings as I don't seem to find any way to do it?
2. How to get Hey Cortana back for India region?

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had many issues with Cortana after upgrading from 8.1 to build 10586 too and what I've found is that it is not possible to delete or re-download speech settings.
Hey Cortana might be an app in the store you have to download but I'm not sure.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to re-download speech settings in Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and how to get "Hey Cortan

Try that. I have the Icon and it works on mine. I'm in the states but I heard 1520 had the same problem.

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
it seems like "hey cortana" is a feature only available in the us. It was already promised for W8.1denim. Here in Germany it never appeared and if i try to turn it on in W10.586 settings/extras it tells me it?s not possible im my region/language.
I think MS will never make "hey cortana" available here. They might even say its comming "soon", like they always do.
Of course i have a capable device, a L1520.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to re-download speech settings in Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and how to get "Hey Cortan

To delete the voice packs,the only way is to reset.

aroy27

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

To delete the voice packs,the only way is to reset.

I did try to hard reset couple of times to delete any installed language packs. But it seems that English (India) is preinstalled on mine.

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

You have to flash it with deferent rom, which doesn't have that language. Hey Cortana isn't present on my L930 too.
WM10 tapatalk

aroy27

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had many issues with Cortana after upgrading from 8.1 to build 10586 too and what I've found is that it is not possible to delete or re-download speech settings.
Hey Cortana might be an app in the store you have to download but I'm not sure.

I accidentally found the Hey Cortana app under Store-->My Library. It still doesn't work though with English (India) though. Maybe MS still has it exclusive to US.

aroy27

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

Will just to wait and watch for any fixes from MS about this. I wanted to re download the language pack but can't due to current OS limitation.

aroy27

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

Well last night I reverted to 8.1 and let it install all pending updates after which i upgraded to WP10. Now Cortana seems to be working but not Hey Cortana with Region - India and Speech set to English (India).

Also i noticed that my voice recorder volume is too low and if I place the call on speaker even the other person can't hear me. But voice commands in Cortana just work fine. Not sure what's the deal here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb