W10M is DoA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
This is coming from a hard-core windows phone fan. It's a pity Elop isn't around anymore because MS honestly has a burning platform.

It's 2015... We're never going to get any new apps. UWP won't change much in the way of big name developer support. It's been five years and still no YouTube? Instagram hasn't been really updated since 2013? The Tumblr app hasn't been touched since 2012. W10M is a huge step up from 8.1 in terms of basic functionality, and sure there's potential for some new apps but at this stage of the game it's pretty much DOA.

Nokia is dead. The crazy and colourful hardware that we loved is gone. The 640, 950 and 550 give a pretty solid indication of the design direction Microsoft is taking. They're all going to look the same: On screen keys, black and white shells and the same bland design.

Every Microsoft app is available on other devices, even Cortana.

Carrier support has evaporated. I hope you want to spend nearly $1000 to buy the 950 outright, otherwise you have no upgrade options. Unless you live in the US and you're on AT&T. Go figure.

OEM support has disappeared. LG, HTC, Samsung... I guarantee we won't see a single W10 flagship phone from any of them. At best we might be graced with your standard reference design budget handset.

Android apps aren't coming. This is a big one. Lumia's have some incredible hardware, that we can't even use to it's full potential. What's the point of this incredible camera and screen if I can't use any truly powerful photo editors? Where is VSCO? Adobe Lightroom? It's such a shame because android app support would have made living with a Microsoft device a lot easier. Local Apps, Bank apps, transit apps. Everything that never made it onto windows natively.

Sure, I love my 930 and as far as smartphone basics go... W10M functionally isn't bad. But I can honestly understand why MS now has a 1.7% market share, and why 80% of WP users jump ship when upgrading.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry, but how many of these threads do we really need? Everyday, there's at least 2 new threads saying the same thing essentially. It's okay to be upset but why not look for a similar thread to share your concerns. You being general you, and not just you. Sigh.

I also can't help but notice that every time, people speak in absolutes. :straight:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Not only do they speak in absolutes, they also have a working time machine, obviously because they have seen the future and come back to warn us about it. Seems more likely, if somebody had a working time machine, they'd use it for something more substantial like learning the winner of the world series for the next hundred years so they could get rich making bets. Or using it for what my avatar does, saving the earth from alien invasion every Saturday night.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The sun will come out tomorrow!

These are not the happiest of times on the Windows forums. It would be nice if we were seeing a preponderance of threads from people who are thrilled because WM10 is the best phone OS they?ve ever seen and they?re totally in love with their 950.

Instead we?re seeing at least three kinds of distress: (a) transition pain from assorted bugs and instability in Win10, WM10 and the 950; (b) deep disappointment and prophesies of doom from long-time fans of Windows phone who are losing hope that the platform has a future and are using this board as a vehicle to share their pain; (c) annoyance from loyalists who still believe in the platform and are tired of hearing Debbie Downer reports that the sky is falling.

My time machine tells me the mood on the forums will get better. MS will swat most of the bugs and get the operating systems working smoothly. The app gap isn?t going away any time soon, but the sunshine patriots who are really troubled about it will go away. With the doomsayers gone, the optimists will rule the forum and the mood will improve greatly.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: The sun will come out tomorrow!

These are not the happiest of times on the Windows forums. It would be nice if we were seeing a preponderance of threads from people who are thrilled because WM10 is the best phone OS they?ve ever seen and they?re totally in love with their 950.

Instead we?re seeing at least three kinds of distress: (a) transition pain from assorted bugs and instability in Win10, WM10 and the 950; (b) deep disappointment and prophesies of doom from long-time fans of Windows phone who are losing hope that the platform has a future and are using this board as a vehicle to share their pain; (c) annoyance from loyalists who still believe in the platform and are tired of hearing Debbie Downer reports that the sky is falling.

My time machine tells me the mood on the forums will get better. MS will swat most of the bugs and get the operating systems working smoothly. The app gap isn?t going away any time soon, but the sunshine patriots who are really troubled about it will go away. With the doomsayers gone, the optimists will rule the forum and the mood will improve greatly.
Totally agree. We can critique but the things I'm seeing look worse than the comments made people who don't own Windows Phones (ie Apple fanboys).

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
For crying out loud :p find a platform that works for you.. It is your money after all! I don't have a time machine but I think most network will be moving towards a no-contract policy at some point.. I think

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all for the thoughts on this subject.
The OPs frustrations are well covered throughout this forum.
Based on this another discussion is not needed or helpful.

Thread closed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa