New to W10m, couple of questions about the new OS

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Need some help with setting up W10m. I came from WP8 Denim.

1. How do I get my Me Tile back?
  2. Is there a setting to download custom navigation voices?
  3. Is there a way to have the phone give directions via built - in speakers rather than BT? (only worked in wp 7.8 :p)
  4. Is there an equivalent of Here Transit?
  5. Is there an equivalent of Here Commute? - The tile that shows how long it takes to go home/work?
  6. How to remove the Tiles and icons relating to the 2nd SIM (Not occupied)? Kinda bugs me
  7. How to get back Merged Mail box? Right now they are all lumped together, kinda miss it now.......
  8. How to turn on Night mode? The mode where Cortana intercepts unwelcome calls/text?
  9. Where is Cortana's find Song ability?
  10. Has anyone noticed that if you place the phone down face up on a flat surface, the USB 3.0 connector strain relief will disconnect the data lines? Power lines are still connected.
  11. Is there a way to rearrange the toggles on the Pull down Notification list? There are a lot of functions I really dont need. Too much clutter...
  12. Can anyone recommend a Modern (minimalist) RSS reader? I used to use Wave (I think?) till the servers closed.
  13. How to add my Linkedin feed to my Peoples Tile?
  14. what else??? Have Cortana tell me I'm awesome would be nice ♥??

Other things related to T-Mo US.
Can someone share their T-mo cellular settings?
I am not getting full signal strength (3 bars instead of 5), like on my L925... Just want to check to see if I have a defective antenna.
I presume, VVM is still not ready and not available?

I do want to say the this phone ROCKS ♥♥♥♥, need to get used to the larger size screen though. (There is a "that's what she ..." joke somewhere...)

Thanks all in advance!

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi there and welcome to Windows 10 Mobile.

1. You can't. You'll need to do whatever you did with the Me tile the normal, slightly longer way
2. Nope. Unless you use a third part navigation app
3. No idea, sorry
4. Yes. The Maps app has a choice for public transport when giving directions.
5. Yes. After a while, Cortana will learn when you leave for/from work and give you a prompt. You can also ask "How long to get home?" or something similar and you'll get a map and ETA. You'll need to define your Home and Work locations though (Cortana will guess these after a few days)
6. Sorry, don't know.
7. Not currently possible. We did have this option, but there were some bugs, so Microsoft has pulled the feature until it's fixed.
8. Hit the search button, then hamburger, then Notebook, then "Quiet hours"
9. Yep, it's not there any more, no idea why that feature was removed
10. Nope.
11. Settings->System->Notifications & Actions. Here you can choose icons for the short list in the notification centre

navierstokez

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi thanks for you prompt reply.

For 11. I found the option to change the short list, but what about the larger list? I want to remove some icons.

12. Going to try Fedora.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

3. Is there a way to have the phone give directions via built - in speakers rather than BT? (only worked in wp 7.8 :p)
  5. Is there an equivalent of Here Commute? - The tile that shows how long it takes to go home/work?
  6. How to remove the Tiles and icons relating to the 2nd SIM (Not occupied)? Kinda bugs me
  7. How to get back Merged Mail box? Right now they are all lumped together, kinda miss it now.......
  8. How to turn on Night mode? The mode where Cortana intercepts unwelcome calls/text?
  10. Has anyone noticed that if you place the phone down face up on a flat surface, the USB 3.0 connector strain relief will disconnect the data lines? Power lines are still connected.
  11. Is there a way to rearrange the toggles on the Pull down Notification list? There are a lot of functions I really dont need. Too much clutter...
  12. Can anyone recommend a Modern (minimalist) RSS reader? I used to use Wave (I think?) till the servers closed.

I am not getting full signal strength (3 bars instead of 5), like on my L925... Just want to check to see if I have a defective antenna.

I do want to say the this phone ROCKS ♥♥♥♥, need to get used to the larger size screen though. (There is a "that's what she ..." joke somewhere...)

Thanks all in advance!

Merged mailbox is now called linked inbox. Pulled while they fix bugs.

Music search is in Cortana: Launch search in dictation mode, press the musical notes symbol in the upper right corner.

No vvm according to other threads.

Signal strength is different from phone to phone. AIDA64 reports 100% signal strength he but i only have three bars too. My speed reports compared to the ones from the Nexus 5 have been the same. Unfortunately I don't see a way to see the signal strength in dB on Windows mobile.

I had no idea directions only worked via BT. That's weird.

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks all in advance!

For the 9. It's not removed. It's hidden

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Music search is in Cortana: Launch search in dictation mode, press the musical notes symbol in the upper right corner.
Before Cortana "search" (the button on the right bottom under/on your screen) already offered this on WM 8.1, it even included a QR code / barcode scanner... unfortunately they removed QR code / barcode with Cortana... now you need an extra app for that... :-(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes