What happened to Windows 10 Mobile for Small Tablets?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
There used to be a lot of talk about the small tablets version of Windows 10 mobile but right now I see small tablets with full desktop Windows 10 getting released. Now that both the desktop and smartphone versions of Windows 10 have been fully released, what happened to the small tablets version of it? A few screenshots were released awhile back but since then there's been no mention of that version of Windows 10. Was it cancelled or something?

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Windows for small tablets is the same as the version for phones, Windows 10 Mobile, so I suspect it has not been canceled. I suspect that the reason we have not heard anything about it is because no manufactures want to put Windows 10 Mobile on a tablet.

WP8.1 only supported a few portrait screen resolutions with the highest being 1080p. Windows 10 Mobile supports many more resolutions meaning that it can also work on tablet sized screens. I think that is what Microsoft was getting at when they said it is for small tablets.

As for me, I will never by a tablet that has W10M on it, I would rather have the full version of Windows on a tablet.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Windows for small tablets is the same as the version for phones, Windows 10 Mobile, so I suspect it has not been canceled. I suspect that the reason we have not heard anything about it is because no manufactures want to put Windows 10 Mobile on a tablet.

WP8.1 only supported a few portrait screen resolutions with the highest being 1080p. Windows 10 Mobile supports many more resolutions meaning that it can also work on tablet sized screens. I think that is what Microsoft was getting at when they said it is for small tablets.

As for me, I will never by a tablet that has W10M on it, I would rather have the full version of Windows on a tablet.

I thought people have always been demanding a version of Windows that's similar to RT conceptually but without the desktop? But if Windows 10 for small tablets is just the same as the phone version, then that means it pretty just hit RTM. In which case, could we expect to see tablets with Windows 10 Mobile on them in the near future? Or are manufacturers really that hesitant about building those devices?

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
The devices that had Windows 8.1 with Bing (E.g. the Linx tablets) got an upgrade to W10 Home, I've got a Linx 7 connected to my TV and it works pretty well. Can't see that it would be better with W10M, the tablet mode works much better on W10 over 8.1.

Has W10M really been "fully" released though? I know that the 950/XL are out now but the rest of the phones are still on 8.1 unless you're an insider, so the focus from Microsoft is likely to be a full release to existing devices as promised before 3rd party devices in a new form factor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos