After 1 week with the 950 - Is Microsoft really comitted to a mobile OS?

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I understand Nokia was really obsessed about exploring different materials and manufacturing process... But hey, as now Microsoft has decided to stick with the Lumia branding, at least try to show us some efforts in making it a "Lumia"...

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I hope the battery life will see some improvement in the newer updates, not that Im excusing it. I had similar battery life in my previous phone, an 830 that had a 2200mah battery compared to a 3000mah battery in my 950.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So your main gripe is how it looks and feels? You don't really provide any substantive data to show how iSight is better than Pure View optics, or how your 830 has a better screen. Ok. We get it. The screens not as bright as some of the new android or iPhones out there. But when does this really matter outside of direct sunlight? I get the app issues with w10, and I'm honestly missing 8.1 myself but really? Your main issue is how the phone look?

Were you the one spending pocket load of money on buying the device, the OP has right to express his disagreement for paying premium for a mediocre device.

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I can't talk about the 950 as I don't own one yet, but I've been using W10M for about 2 months as my daily driver and I have to say. I'm worried.

App stability is very shaky, edge has had some WEIRD bugs (keys 'u' and 's' would not work in the search bar) and overall the level of polish is just nowhere near that of WP8.1 or even W10.

Still waiting and hoping...

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I can't talk about the 950 as I don't own one yet, but I've been using W10M for about 2 months as my daily driver and I have to say. I'm worried.

App stability is very shaky, edge has had some WEIRD bugs (keys 'u' and 's' would not work in the search bar) and overall the level of polish is just nowhere near that of WP8.1 or even W10.

Still waiting and hoping...

Seems to be issues depending on the devices. Some have stability problems, others not. On my L830 I have no such problems.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I really have to ask myself, if Apple released an iPhone with all of these issues the media and these forums would be all over them. Instead we tend to be too nice in our assessments. I like a lot of stuff, but I've been beta testing windows for 5 or so years now on phones, since an HTC Trophy. I like a lot of stuff about the 950 and 950xl, but I don't think either are worth the price tag in the hopes that they get an upgrade to fix the problems. I mean honestly fixing problems is not a guarantee, and I'm still waiting for some things to get tidied up in Windows Phone 8.1.

Anyone else remember these commercials?
https://youtu.be/_elqLDSt36k

Who is the real beta tester?

Wow seems as Windows is still in beta but those commercials were from like years ago! What happened?

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so why would you discount the look and feel as being at least part of a valid opinion of the device? The 920 and 1020 were gorgeous devices that DID feel and look premium. I own both. I also broke down and (stupidly) bought a 950. What a HUGE disappointment, on every level. It looks and feels as cheap as the 635 and 640 (which I ALSO own). I've done side by side camera comparisons and my 1020 consistently beats the 950. The 1020, running WP8.1, looks better and is faster than my 950 running W10M. So, what would you have us SAY?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I haven't been to the ATT store to look at check out the 950. I have 10581 on my 1520 and it runs well on WM10. I like the polycarbonate body of the 1520. I like the size of it and wish that the new 950 XL was 6.0 inches. That being said I'm going to eventually go the ATT store and check it out but I suspect that I'll probably wait and see if the Juggernaut Alpha actually appears and if I like it.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
While in Best Buy today I got the chance to play around with their display model. I had planned to upgrade to one but since Verizon nixed them I went iPhone instead. After having the chance to see one in real life today, I'm kind of glad I didn't get one. I know the looks are more important to some then others but I was not impressed. Then I tried opening different apps and wow, what a delay. Every app I opened had the little wait turning thing. Not impressed with that either. All in all, It didn't leave a very favorable impression on me.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, MSFT has played well i guess, in terms of how they made the device, there may be flaws but, they said it was for the fans who wanted a newer and faster device, for me the looks of it are OKAY! not mind blowing but c'mon guys look at the price if they had made the device metal and shiny like Iphone or M8 etc im sure then we would have People whining that its over priced, and i am sure once they have more audience to please their devices will be more elegant, i mean look at the surface pro 4, that i think is truly an awesome device, in term of specs and built. with these two they focused on ppl who wud buy the phone even if they havent seen an Advertisment on TV of the phone, I know i had been typing Lumia 950XL release date/info every day on the search, sadly where i live we wont see it maybe for another month, which i feel VERY bad about.

Now the post is you can all about how he didnt like the built of it. but man when he said that W10M didnt impress you, im like WHAT! i wud never go to 8.1 after W10M, and the Galaxy S6 Edge that couple of my friends have, the OS just doesnt impress me, AT ALL! but the new UI of windows 10 is like heaven, though i want some more tweaks but c'mon, you will go to Android OS!! just because it has snapchat.
I guess i should tell you Good luck with going to Galaxy with that crappy memory management issue that it had, which Samsung never acknowledged, thought it to be a feature, LOL. So thanks to insider program we know what the flaws are and we know they are working on it, Im being patient, as W10M seems way too much promising to me than 8.1. I can go on and on, final touch is try installing the higer android OS ver on a lower end device and then talk abt OS,. as compared to Windows if you spend $100 or $500 apart from features you wud hardly feel the performance issue. End of story is that its your money, so you may spend it on iphone 6 or galaxy s6, and then a couple month later wish you had waited and get the galaxy s7, and on and on, all that changes is the Glittery shell, inside its the LAGDROID.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
While in Best Buy today I got the chance to play around with their display model. I had planned to upgrade to one but since Verizon nixed them I went iPhone instead. After having the chance to see one in real life today, I'm kind of glad I didn't get one. I know the looks are more important to some then others but I was not impressed. Then I tried opening different apps and wow, what a delay. Every app I opened had the little wait turning thing. Not impressed with that either. All in all, It didn't leave a very favorable impression on me.

I guess you should have also read at apple forums the type of issues ppl are having with touchscreen, battery like, apps crashing, on iPhone 6. i dont know if iOS 9 has been any better.

Changaizee

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I haven't been to the ATT store to look at check out the 950. I have 10581 on my 1520 and it runs well on WM10. I like the polycarbonate body of the 1520. I like the size of it and wish that the new 950 XL was 6.0 inches. That being said I'm going to eventually go the ATT store and check it out but I suspect that I'll probably wait and see if the Juggernaut Alpha actually appears and if I like it.

Why you didnt update to 10586.11, its doing great for me actually on my 1520, i like the battery improvement, smoother than before. and when you said that you like the poly-carbonate body that exactly what i meant that these two phones are mainly focused on the Fans. But yea i wil have to wait for the 950 XL anyway as i am in Pakistan. :(

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Now the post is you can all about how he didnt like the built of it. but man when he said that W10M didnt impress you, im like WHAT! i wud never go to 8.1 after W10M, and the Galaxy S6 Edge that couple of my friends have, the OS just doesnt impress me, AT ALL! but the new UI of windows 10 is like heaven, though i want some more tweaks but c'mon, you will go to Android OS!! just because it has snapchat.

I have issues with W10M but I still like it. Im not trying to bash W10 or the 950, please dont take this personally but I expect improvements with new devices and new operating systems. Sorry if you are related to someone that built the 950 or developed the W10M OS. Why do so many people have a hard time with that? Im not an Apple ****** or an Android ****** or a Windows ******, I just want a great device with a great OS. Im calling it like I see it.

I know not everyone is having the same issues but here are some that i have experienced and many of them have been reported by others.
-Attaching photos in email or messaging doesnt always allow you to select the picture correctly in the photos app.
-Camera has a handful of issues even when storing on the local storage. Snapping multiple photos quickly with Rich Capture on tends to slow down the camera, sometimes you watch the camera save for almost a minute before you can snap the next photo, this is not acceptable. Video quality is hot or miss, literally, sometimes the video skips frames. I have also experienced some audio clicking during the video. Focus hunting and color changing on the video camera is unacceptable
-Slow motion video would be nice rather than teasing it with an icon...C'mon.
-Start screen sometimes gets stuck on resuming....
-Battery life is not much better than my 830 with a 2200mah battery
-Skype and Messaging doesnt seem like a marriage made in heaven, hard to explain exactly what is wrong with it other than dual skype apps, doubling up on contacts in the pick screen when you start typing a contact.
-Scrolling through photos is not always smooth and sometimes crashes.
-Lets see some real improvements to sound profiles like the blackberry used to have 7 years ago. They had great granularity.
-Lets see some filtering options in email

To everyone that may disagree with me - Feel free to discredit me in any way you see fit.

Last edited:

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I guess you should have also read at apple forums the type of issues ppl are having with touchscreen, battery like, apps crashing, on iPhone 6. i dont know if iOS 9 has been any better.

I've had the iPhone for about a month now and have not had a single issue with it. The battery is way better then my 928's ever was, I've never had an app crash, and they run very well. I also have a wide assortment of apps to choose from and there are daily deals on apps. I gave Windows phone a chance but in the end it didn't live up to what I wanted... sorry if that offends you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget the teething pains Apple experienced with 8.0 and the nightmare Android had with 5.0. We shouldn't hold Microsoft to a higher standard because of their market position. The 950 complaints are legit from those who actually own them. Complaints about W10 from people on the TP are misplacing their gripes. You are running an Alpha experiment not optimized for any particular device, send your feedback to Microsoft, not a forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05