12-04-2015 07:01 PM
49 12
tools
    Returning it does nothing....the new one has the same problem....
    Returning for a refund means to get your money back, not a replacement. If it was me, I'd stick with it until just before the return period ends and hope for the best (updates), unless the problems affected the ability to conduct business with the phone. I'd probably cave and try a hard reset too and be happy if bugs were fixed after. I don't blame anyone for returns, it's an investment in one's sanity after all.
    11-30-2015 12:29 PM
    Returning for a refund means to get your money back, not a replacement. If it was me, I'd stick with it until just before the return period ends and hope for the best (updates), unless the problems affected the ability to conduct business with the phone. I'd probably cave and try a hard reset too and be happy if bugs were fixed after. I don't blame anyone for returns, it's an investment in one's sanity after all.
    Say you drop it and the covet gets bent or the screen cracks, then you cant even return it. Good luck.
    11-30-2015 12:46 PM
    It cant take that much to fix this on MS's part. C'mon guys.....Windows Mobile 10 yrs ago could do this......how hard is it?
    11-30-2015 02:05 PM
    Has anyone tried creating a back up before doing the hard reset. Then restoring your phone with the back up afterwards, to see if it still fixed the issue but then also able to not lose all the time spent setting up your new device?
    11-30-2015 06:31 PM
    Even with a backup you still lose a lot of things, passwords, apps settings, game progress, etc...
    11-30-2015 06:59 PM
    It's an incredibly annoying. Email worked when I first got my 950xl, but now, nothing. And for a lot of the emails you can't even tell what it's about without pressing ask over the screen to find the link.
    11-30-2015 08:20 PM
    It's an incredibly annoying. Email worked when I first got my 950xl, but now, nothing. And for a lot of the emails you can't even tell what it's about without pressing ask over the screen to find the link.
    Its exactly this sort of basic functionality that was broken out of the box that made me send it back. I bought the phone hoping to show my support. I found out how little affection there was for me.
    11-30-2015 08:25 PM
    I think you guys are overreacting to such a minor bug that will surely be fixed.
    11-30-2015 08:56 PM
    It is not an over reaction. It is simply by reaction based on the idea that I have 30 days to return the phone and right now it is not good enough to function as a daily phone. If it is never fixed we are screwed. Microsoft could decide tomorrow to stop producing Windows Mobile and it would only affect a tiny portion of the population. The OS is not worth the entrance fee Microsoft is charging for this phone. Maybe when that changes, I'll buy another; but right now you saying my reaction is too great is like me telling you that you are too forgiving.
    11-30-2015 09:04 PM
    I don't think it is an overreaction if you need the pictures to be working to use your phone how you need to use it. Otherwise I would have given it at least a week, after reporting/up-voting the problem via Windows Feedback, to give Microsoft a chance to fix it. You didn't even given them a chance. (Though personally I don't think 10586.0 is good enough for a normal person that just buys a phone, it is still beta in my opinion. Late stage beta, but still beta.)
    cracgor likes this.
    11-30-2015 09:13 PM
    People, there is an easy fix.

First, backup your phone settings, apps, texts, etc. Then do a hard reset. This will wipe it. Then restore from the backup. Outlook emails will show the images. Honestly, it is not that time consuming. Since you are restoring from a very recent backup, apps and most settings should get downloaded within a few hours. Just leave you phone alone while it gets back all the apps.

I did this with my 950 XL and the process wasn't as bad as you people seem to think.
    11-30-2015 09:21 PM
    We should not have to hard reset to fix MS inability to deliver a useable OS
    cracgor and 920Walker like this.
    11-30-2015 09:24 PM
    Especially for a premium device that is supposed to give us something to be proud of.
    11-30-2015 09:37 PM
    Definitely an overreaction.
    11-30-2015 10:11 PM
    People, there is an easy fix.

First, backup your phone settings, apps, texts, etc. Then do a hard reset. This will wipe it. Then restore from the backup. Outlook emails will show the images. Honestly, it is not that time consuming. Since you are restoring from a very recent backup, apps and most settings should get downloaded within a few hours. Just leave you phone alone while it gets back all the apps.
    It really isn't that easy, it takes about 5 hours, then you loose app settings, passwords, game progress, etc.

I think the biggest mistake Microsoft made was not to automatically backup all app settings. They made it something the app developers have to support, and most don't, or do so very poorly.
    11-30-2015 10:54 PM
    I had the same issue when I started using the 950 XL. I posted in the other thread as well and hard reset my phone. As mentioned in the other thread, I setup the phone with a fresh install, no backup. Took me all of two hours to complete.

I was not worried about pictures or texts or emails as they are all backed up and resync after a hard reset. Apps, no big deal, I just go into the store and reinstall from the list of apps in "my library". Music syncs automatically from Groove, all I had to do was download all of the songs so I was not streaming all of the time.

Not a major headache as others say/think it is, to me.

The problem seems to be on the initial setup (or the out of box experience as some call it). When the phone asks for a restore file or fresh install, most people opt for a restore because of all the data that they feel they cannot live without.

I believe that the restore from a windows phone 8.1 OS or the Windows 10 phone insider build adds some bad links to cache folders or files that do not exist on the windows 10 phone build 10586.0 released with the phones (these files and/or folders could be residing somewhere else in the OS). This would cause things like failed email graphics if the OS is looking in the wrong place for the cached data.

The hard reset and fresh install would theoretically clear up the issues as the links to the proper cache files and folders would be written instead of the possible erroneous ones from the other OS builds.

I saw the other thread a week or so ago and opted for the hard reset as I was frustrated about the email graphic issue as well. It worked for me as well as apparently stabilizing the Groove app for me.
    11-30-2015 11:04 PM
    I had the same issue when I started using the 950 XL. I posted in the other thread as well and hard reset my phone. As mentioned in the other thread, I setup the phone with a fresh install, no backup. Took me all of two hours to complete.

I was not worried about pictures or texts or emails as they are all backed up and resync after a hard reset. Apps, no big deal, I just go into the store and reinstall from the list of apps in "my library". Music syncs automatically from Groove, all I had to do was download all of the songs so I was not streaming all of the time.

Not a major headache as others say/think it is, to me.

The problem seems to be on the initial setup (or the out of box experience as some call it). When the phone asks for a restore file or fresh install, most people opt for a restore because of all the data that they feel they cannot live without.

I believe that the restore from a windows phone 8.1 OS or the Windows 10 phone insider build adds some bad links to cache folders or files that do not exist on the windows 10 phone build 10586.0 released with the phones (these files and/or folders could be residing somewhere else in the OS). This would cause things like failed email graphics if the OS is looking in the wrong place for the cached data.

The hard reset and fresh install would theoretically clear up the issues as the links to the proper cache files and folders would be written instead of the possible erroneous ones from the other OS builds.

I saw the other thread a week or so ago and opted for the hard reset as I was frustrated about the email graphic issue as well. It worked for me as well as apparently stabilizing the Groove app for me.
    I did a fresh install and had all of these problems. I refuse to factory reset on day 2. That is Microsoft's problem to deal with.
    11-30-2015 11:07 PM
    After no changes or updates, it's working for me now. Anyone else?
    12-03-2015 06:17 PM
    Nope....same....but the retarded article on WC really p****me off...are we stupid?????
    12-03-2015 09:44 PM
    Nope....same....but the retarded article on WC really p****me off...are we stupid?????
    LOL I hear ya.

I wish Windows Central was able to investigate more of the issues in the forum and that we tip them on, while being an advocate for us with their Microsoft contacts and respected position.
    12-03-2015 11:19 PM
    I don't really think it's minor when you can't interpret the email from your phone. I think it's a major functional flaw. If it's something that is important, I have to access it from the browser or another computer entirely.
    I absolutely want Windows to succeed, but it does get frustrating after a while. I've been trying to keep positive since my Focus that I got when it first came out. I'm going to stick it out, but I have a much more difficult time advocating the platform when asked.
    12-04-2015 02:08 AM
    Csb.
    12-04-2015 06:35 AM
    It would be NICE if MS actually acknowledged that there is a problem and told us that a fix is on its way BEFORE Dec 26, so that we can RETURN these damn phones. AS long as we know a fix is on its way, I would keep this. But knowing MS, it might be 2018 before there is a fix.....Very frustrating....I have been the biggest advocate for Windows Phones and the platform....My company of 120 employees are all on Windows Phones. I will make sure we move on to something else if there is not a fix in place by the end of the year.
    12-04-2015 10:26 AM
    Ok I spoke too soon. Particular photos still don't display or load at all.

I've yet to figure out the exact circumstance that prevents some photos.
    12-04-2015 07:01 PM
49 12