Windows 10 mobile release date please... It's already December 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan678

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: It's already December! How long until Windows 10 Mobile arrives on my "Windows 10 ready" Lumia 6

Before Christmas ! I think.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: It's already December! How long until Windows 10 Mobile arrives on my "Windows 10 ready" Lumia 6

Join the Windows Insider Program, download the app, and then download the exact same software that the 950's are running.

I went to the MS store over the weekend to check out the 950, liked the OS, and came home and installed it on the 640. It runs like a champ.

Again - it is exactly the same as the 950 - no reason not to download it and give it a try if you're anxious for it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell us in details.
Like which device get first update.

Earlier this year, Microsoft said Windows 10 for Mobile would begin to roll out for free to handsets "when available". It also confirmed the first smartphones to get Windows 10 for Mobile will be:
Lumia 430, Lumia 435, Lumia 532, Lumia 535, Lumia 540, Lumia 640, Lumia 640 XL, Lumia 735, Lumia 830, and Lumia 930

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Join the Windows Insider Program, download the app, and then download the exact same software that the 950's are running.

I went to the MS store over the weekend to check out the 950, liked the OS, and came home and installed it on the 640. It runs like a champ.

Again - it is exactly the same as the 950 - no reason not to download it and give it a try if you're anxious for it.
Actually, isn't it an updated build of what the 950's are running? I think my 640 is running more smoothly on 10 than it did on 8.1 with the latest build.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Actually, isn't it an updated build of what the 950's are running? I think my 640 is running more smoothly on 10 than it did on 8.1 with the latest build.

I don't think it's smoother, my 535 is just a bit faster on 8.1 than my 640 on 10, but it's really not something that you will notice every time you take your phone.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I am not positive; but if I remember the first phones to get the upgrade from W8.1 to W10 would be phones that have Denim installed. Its the main reason I replaced my 820 with a 640. (that and the battery life and the screen). Aside from those two things the two phones perform about the same. The 820 is now my backup.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I never used the 640 on 8.1, so I can't compare them. I did use the HTC One M8 on 8.1.2. I am not sure that either one was smoother - I think they both worked fine. Like I've said, I didn't expect to like 10, because I was very accustomed to 8.1.2. Now that I'm using it, I like it quite a bit.

I believe the 950 is running the same version as what is available through Preview (100586.011 I think). The issue is that ATT will take 150 years to certify the new OS for its phones - look what happened with the 830. Many of us who were using ATT branded 830's sold them to get unbranded ones so we could update to Denim. ATT was one of the last carriers, literally in the WORLD, to approve the OS.

That is where the preview program comes in. You sign up, and you can download it right away. Even if MS says tomorrow that it's the official version, it might be May before ATT authorizes updates to their branded phones.

Technically, the Preview program is just that - experimental OS to provide feedback. However, now that the exact same software is available through the preview that lives on the latest MS flagship phones, I figured it was safe to go ahead and install it on the daily driver, which it is.

If you are holding a carrier branded phone, your ire is misplaced if you are angry at MS for no software updates, because they come from the carrier. That is why you can now safely upgrade through that program, and bypass your carrier.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Well Microsoft never gave an exac.t release date.
You'll just have to be patient

It doesn't matter what MS says, because carriers control updates to their branded devices. If you have a direct from MS unbranded version, MS will control it. Otherwise, your carrier will.

ATT is THE WORST carrier, literally in the world, for releasing the updates. On the 830, it was ATT and one local carrier in South America who were in a race to be last to update to Denim. They were 6 months behind every other North American carrier.

Use the Preview program - it is the exact same software now on the 950.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't matter what MS says, because carriers control updates to their branded devices
Yes carriers control the updates, but it still relies on MS saying when a release date is. ATT may be the worst, but the OP never mentioned their carrier and not all carriers will be as bad.
The main thing I was trying to get across to the OP, was that no date was given for W10M release, so they shouldn't be getting impatient because of it.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Good enough, but it's available today, at this very moment, is my point.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Use the Preview program - it is the exact same software now on the 950.

Actually, it's a more recent build than the 950 was released with. The 950 was released with 10586.0 and the preview is 10586.11. I agree with you, if you want it now there's no reason not to do the preview. It's been running flawlessly on my 640. I'm very happy with it.

9sag9

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
It's everywhere my friend.... First wave consist of Microsoft branded device ..followed by Nokia branded devices which is wave 2 .. Gap between this to may wary from 1 to 60days .. In between the second wave may hit ... As per the rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs