12-06-2015 10:05 AM
54 123
tools
    I am not positive; but if I remember the first phones to get the upgrade from W8.1 to W10 would be phones that have Denim installed. Its the main reason I replaced my 820 with a 640. (that and the battery life and the screen). Aside from those two things the two phones perform about the same. The 820 is now my backup.
    12-03-2015 07:54 AM
    I never used the 640 on 8.1, so I can't compare them. I did use the HTC One M8 on 8.1.2. I am not sure that either one was smoother - I think they both worked fine. Like I've said, I didn't expect to like 10, because I was very accustomed to 8.1.2. Now that I'm using it, I like it quite a bit.

I believe the 950 is running the same version as what is available through Preview (100586.011 I think). The issue is that ATT will take 150 years to certify the new OS for its phones - look what happened with the 830. Many of us who were using ATT branded 830's sold them to get unbranded ones so we could update to Denim. ATT was one of the last carriers, literally in the WORLD, to approve the OS.

That is where the preview program comes in. You sign up, and you can download it right away. Even if MS says tomorrow that it's the official version, it might be May before ATT authorizes updates to their branded phones.

Technically, the Preview program is just that - experimental OS to provide feedback. However, now that the exact same software is available through the preview that lives on the latest MS flagship phones, I figured it was safe to go ahead and install it on the daily driver, which it is.

If you are holding a carrier branded phone, your ire is misplaced if you are angry at MS for no software updates, because they come from the carrier. That is why you can now safely upgrade through that program, and bypass your carrier.
    12-03-2015 08:22 AM
    Well Microsoft never gave an exac.t release date.
    You'll just have to be patient
    It doesn't matter what MS says, because carriers control updates to their branded devices. If you have a direct from MS unbranded version, MS will control it. Otherwise, your carrier will.

ATT is THE WORST carrier, literally in the world, for releasing the updates. On the 830, it was ATT and one local carrier in South America who were in a race to be last to update to Denim. They were 6 months behind every other North American carrier.

Use the Preview program - it is the exact same software now on the 950.
    libra89 and editguy like this.
    12-03-2015 08:27 AM
    It doesn't matter what MS says, because carriers control updates to their branded devices
    Yes carriers control the updates, but it still relies on MS saying when a release date is. ATT may be the worst, but the OP never mentioned their carrier and not all carriers will be as bad.
    The main thing I was trying to get across to the OP, was that no date was given for W10M release, so they shouldn't be getting impatient because of it.
    12-03-2015 08:37 AM
    Good enough, but it's available today, at this very moment, is my point.
    editguy likes this.
    12-03-2015 08:39 AM
    Why wait, just get the same release that is already on the market in the 950/XL...
    12-03-2015 09:41 AM
    The first wave devices will most likely get it on 14th
    12-03-2015 11:07 AM

Actually, it's a more recent build than the 950 was released with. The 950 was released with 10586.0 and the preview is 10586.11. I agree with you, if you want it now there's no reason not to do the preview. It's been running flawlessly on my 640. I'm very happy with it.
    12-03-2015 11:46 AM
    The first wave devices will most likely get it on 14th
    Seriously??? Not seen anywhere in Google ....
    12-03-2015 11:56 AM
    It's everywhere my friend.... First wave consist of Microsoft branded device ..followed by Nokia branded devices which is wave 2 .. Gap between this to may wary from 1 to 60days .. In between the second wave may hit ... As per the rumors
    12-03-2015 12:10 PM
    12-03-2015 02:37 PM
    LOL if we knew dates we could make a fortune selling them...

Stay tuned to our News Blog. They will shout out all OTA rollouts as they happen by model and country. Our members are great, many spotters will report in on conditions.

http://www.windowscentral.com
    12-03-2015 04:32 PM
    12-03-2015 04:55 PM
    will it be possible to update from current insider build?
    12-04-2015 06:48 AM
    will it be possible to update from current insider build?
    I bet yes
    12-04-2015 07:45 AM
    Why blame the carriers? IF there is a RTM then we should have it available on the insider program, right? But I don't see any of that showing up to insiders yet. And why would MSFT hold it back (to insiders) when it is available already? For sure there is a delay due to carrier approval and rollout but you can bypass that if you become an insider. But the carriers cannot test, approve and rollout something that does not even exist.
    More likely we will see the older Lumias stuck in insiders-only status forever with slowly dripping updates fixing some bugs. But no new features or device specific firmware anymore. I doubt 950 / 950XL will receive more attention. If MSFT already dare to release the flagship phones with a flaky preview build that literally needs a hardreset out of the box we know where we are. Too bad if you activated bitlocker prior to the hardreset
    More effort will be put in a Surface phone, x86-based, running a "normal" Windows with some GUI modifications. I think we are riding a dead horse now with our Lumias.
    12-04-2015 08:42 AM
    Insider program on my Lumina Icon still has difficulties
    1. Ms Maps don't open
    2. Here Drive gone
    3. Lumina Camera gone
    4. MS Camera poor quality and no close focus (compared to Lumin aCmaera
    5. Cortana doesn't work

Otherwise I like W10M preview
    12-04-2015 11:19 AM
    Before Christmas ! I think.
    Which year?
    Bokisa4444, ttsoldier and xandros9 like this.
    12-04-2015 12:30 PM
    It doesn't matter what MS says, because carriers control updates to their branded devices. If you have a direct from MS unbranded version, MS will control it. Otherwise, your carrier will.

ATT is THE WORST carrier, literally in the world, for releasing the updates. On the 830, it was ATT and one local carrier in South America who were in a race to be last to update to Denim. They were 6 months behind every other North American carrier.

So I bit the bullet and upgraded one of my two son's 640s last night. Seemed to go well, until I couldn't get his e-mail, contacts, and calendar to sync. Keeps asking me to "Add an Account" - even though in the Phone Settings his account is already linked to the phone. He can log into OneDrive, Maps, Groove - everything that requires an account on the phone - just not the important stuff.

Is there a way to reinstall JUST the Outlook/People/Calendar apps? You can't Uninstall it. Interestingly - his People tile has all the pictures of his contacts in the circles, but they don't show up when you open the app.

I found this thread which seems to be related, BUT I don't want to have to Hard Reset his phone if I don't have to because of games that don't upload your progress status to the Cloud:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...d-10572-a.html

I don't want to upgrade my other kids' W8.1 phones until I know there's a fix for this...

Advice?

ENV
    12-05-2015 10:43 AM
    I feel badly - I don't know. I will see what I can research - I didn't have that issue. W10 does give you an option to backup game status and data. You may want to do that, just in case.
    12-05-2015 12:20 PM
    In India we don't have this career locked concepts thankfully, so should receive by December 14th !
    r2SN likes this.
    12-05-2015 01:50 PM
    I feel badly - I don't know. I will see what I can research - I didn't have that issue. W10 does give you an option to backup game status and data. You may want to do that, just in case.
    Don't feel bad - I knew the risks. Luckily my son said he's OK with a reset if necessary.

Does anyone know if I do a reset from the Settings menu - will that take me back to the 640 factory default and WP8.1, or just back to WP10 with a wiped profile?

Is there a way to do just that - wipe the profile and start fresh but already at WP10?

ENV
    12-05-2015 02:42 PM
    Don't feel bad - I knew the risks. Luckily my son said he's OK with a reset if necessary.

Does anyone know if I do a reset from the Settings menu - will that take me back to the 640 factory default and WP8.1, or just back to WP10 with a wiped profile?

Is there a way to do just that - wipe the profile and start fresh but already at WP10?

ENV
    With the reset from the settings menu you wipe the profile and start fresh with W10.
    (And during the fresh setup you could restore a backup)

Good luck
    12-05-2015 02:57 PM
    14/15 Dec.
    12-05-2015 03:07 PM
    You would have to use the Windows Recovery Tool to go back to 8.1.

A factory reset may fix your issues though on W10. Some people need to do that for some reason. You can back up all of the apps, photos, and texts to the cloud first though.
    12-05-2015 04:06 PM
54 123