Why can't I setup my Hotmail account in Windows 10 mobile?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I recently installed Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 640, and now suddenly I can't set up my Hotmail account. My gmail account works just fine, but the one tied to my Microsoft account doesn't. Every time I try to set it up, I'm told that it's "done" but it doesn't show up. I then get a text from Microsoft with a 7 digit code, but no instructions on what to do with it.

If I go into settings, it shows my Hotmail account as being there, but it doesn't show up in the Outlook app. Any ideas?

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I recently installed Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 640, and now suddenly I can't set up my Hotmail account. My gmail account works just fine, but the one tied to my Microsoft account doesn't. Every time I try to set it up, I'm told that it's "done" but it doesn't show up. I then get a text from Microsoft with a 7 digit code, but no instructions on what to do with it.

If I go into settings, it shows my Hotmail account as being there, but it doesn't show up in the Outlook app. Any ideas?
You skipped the sign in while set up.. right? The only fix is hard reset.. And sign in during the set up..

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
You skipped the sign in while set up.. right? The only fix is hard reset.. And sign in during the set up..

No it isn't, the only time you have do to hard reset is when you want to change your MS account, not add one.

@topic Go to the Windows Store and try to download stuff, then you'll be prompted to enter your MS account sing in details, once you do that you'll have to enter your backup email adress on whic they will send you an activation code. Then you'll have to copy it, go back to store, paste it, and everything should work fine.

You could also try adding your account in Settings -> Accounts -> Your email account and add it there.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
No it isn't, the only time you have do to hard reset is when you want to change your MS account, not add one.

@topic Go to the Windows Store and try to download stuff, then you'll be prompted to enter your MS account sing in details, once you do that you'll have to enter your backup email adress on whic they will send you an activation code. Then you'll have to copy it, go back to store, paste it, and everything should work fine.

You could also try adding your account in Settings -> Accounts -> Your email account and add it there.

Nope.. I had the same issue when i skipped sign in while setting up, tried everything which you said but still wasn't able to add MS account to mail app.. The phone is actually signed in so while downloading from store it wont prompt to sign in to MS account.. And even in settings>accounts the MS account exists.. Even in people app.. The problem is with mail app..

ShadyLn

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this same issue (running 10586.11 with the latest Mail & Calendar app updates on my 640). Signed into the phone with my MS account, store works fine, Outlook.com account shows up in Settings under Email and Accounts but not in the Mail, Calendar, or People apps. Tried adding it thru the Mail app and got the same as above, saying it worked but it didn't. Added a Gmail account just fine.

Trying to avoid having to do a hard reset if I can help it. Any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb