So this is Windows 10 Mobile

rocktauber

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I left WM and my 1520 because my Company's Phone Policy does not support Windows Phone. Surprise (insert sarcasm here).

I still had my old 1020 so I signed up for the Preview.

Maybe I don't get it, or maybe I was looking for more, but nothing about this new OS is inspiring. No amazing features that show anyone why they should switch.

It feels very disjointed and a bunch of okay ideas completed in a half baked, hurried way.

I know a 1020 is not the best device to judge WM10 on, but really? This is what they are hanging their hopes on?

It's time to forget the Mobile OS and concentrate on taking the best Microsoft Software and optimizing it for the masses and that is definitely not Windows Phone.

I get the hate for the lack of Design on the new Lumias, I don't want Metal, but I don't want Fisher Price either. Utility has its place, but so does style.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile, as it is now, isn't about making people switch - as discussed numerous times elsewhere. That would be similar to opening up a mall that is still under construction, although almost complete - imagine people walking by the halls where construction workers are still hammering, drilling, welding... and there's the danger of falling debris that may seriously injure the customer, i.e. bricked phones.

That's Windows 10 Mobile now. It is still under construction. We, in the Technical Preview, are supposed to be diligent in providing feedback to Microsoft so they would know what to do, what to fix, what to improve on... so that when the mall finally opens it would be ready for both their long-time customers and potentially new, first-time customers.

missylob

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile, as it is now, isn't about making people switch - as discussed numerous times elsewhere. That would be similar to opening up a mall that is still under construction, although almost complete - imagine people walking by the halls where construction workers are still hammering, drilling, welding... and there's the danger of falling debris that may seriously injure the customer, i.e. bricked phones.

That's Windows 10 Mobile now. It is still under construction. We, in the Technical Preview, are supposed to be diligent in providing feedback to Microsoft so they would know what to do, what to fix, what to improve on... so that when the mall finally opens it would be ready for both their long-time customers and potentially new, first-time customers.

GREAT, SPOT ON analogy!! I think there's alot of confusion between the past preview for developers program & insiders. PforD worked great for those of us, me include, that don't know much about software, phones etc, the kind of people that dont want to check out the mall till the engineers at less knew what needed to still be done to make the building safe. Insiders is for people that know what their doing, know the risks & are willing to take them cuz they understand the concept better. I dont know how to fix my phone or hv time to make my way through all the updates alas I dont have 10 on it. Insiders 10 never was meant as something for the normal Joe blow to use as his reliable everyday phone, it was meant for the people that kinda know what their doing to report back to Microsoft what was wrong & needed fixed yet before us that dont wanta or cant do that use 10 on our everyday phones. Exactly like you said, 10 right now is a construction site that is being built & problems being worked out so that the rest of us can enjoy the working, amazing product in the end. Thanks for the great analogy!!

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

now lets wait for it, it might take a while... most likely SOON...

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Good post mate! Windows 10 Mobile, as the name suggested, it's a Windows 10 running on your mobile. With all the similarity between your workstation and your phone, everyone should be able to pick it up with ease....... (Hang on! I believe this had been mentioned when Microsoft first released Windows CE 1.0 back in 1996....)

Anyway, coming from WP7/8 I notice almost every friendly gestures were gone, we all go back to the good old swipe and click... Well, I guess it's because most of these "universal" apps were still designed with the keyboard and mouse in mind.... Rather then aiming for the touch screen.....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

That's the PROBLEM, the 950 and 950XL (the FLAGSHIP DEVICES) and Windows 10 Mobile is a buggy mess, sure some parts are good but, there are HUGE amount of bugs, and this is not just a preview player talking here...

THIS IS A RELEASED RTM PRODUCT, NOT A PREVIEW OR BETA

See I would not even suggest a 950 or 950XL to a friend at this point... Wait 6 months, after about 20 updates and it FINALLY would be a solid OS...

Just the Microsoft way....release a buggy product (clearly has issues, same with 10 PC on release), and fix it with updates... LOTS OF updates...

So, if you wanted to get a new phone, wait till the Surface phone hits next year, by then W10m will be solid OS...

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

If people are not switching, then when is the good time? 5 years down the road?? Or another "coming soon" thing?

Under construction you saying? Microsoft already released 2 new flagship RUNNING Windows 10 mobile. No more technical preview, dude. Is already RTM real thing. Of course if you are arguing about future patches, then yes because we are expecting windows 10 to be evolving. But as of now, it is already the real thing. A real thing in a mess I suppose.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

All of what you said was valid a few months ago when Windows 10 Mobile was a technical preview and not ready for prime time. Now it's prime time and Windows 10 Mobile is still a work in progress but is in stores on 2 "flagship" devices for sale now. If that isn't a huge and embarrassing fail that deserves to crash and burn I don't know what is.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
GREAT, SPOT ON analogy!! I think there's alot of confusion between the past preview for developers program & insiders. PforD worked great for those of us, me include, that don't know much about software, phones etc, the kind of people that dont want to check out the mall till the engineers at less knew what needed to still be done to make the building safe. Insiders is for people that know what their doing, know the risks & are willing to take them cuz they understand the concept better. I dont know how to fix my phone or hv time to make my way through all the updates alas I dont have 10 on it. Insiders 10 never was meant as something for the normal Joe blow to use as his reliable everyday phone, it was meant for the people that kinda know what their doing to report back to Microsoft what was wrong & needed fixed yet before us that dont wanta or cant do that use 10 on our everyday phones. Exactly like you said, 10 right now is a construction site that is being built & problems being worked out so that the rest of us can enjoy the working, amazing product in the end. Thanks for the great analogy!!

Exactly, but I am using windows 10 mobile on my lumia 925, which is my only phone and daily Driver, we see bugs we report it, we see improvement we tell Microsoft, we see suggestions we tell Microsoft, windows 10 has and is still fun, though it needs a lot of polishing to get there, but I like what ms is doing, not all tech company would have such programs, allowing people test there software before releasing it, so is a privilege

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, no more excuses that W10M is a "preview", nowhere on the box of the 950 or XL does it say you are paying Microsoft hunderds of dollars, pounds sterling or whatever currency for the privilege of signing up to be a beta tester. The OS is done and it sucks, thats the sad reality.

I think more people on this site need to read this http://www.neowin.net/news/editorial-its-time-to-stop-making-excuses-for-microsofts-mobile-efforts instead of just lapping up the ****** fodder thats regularly served up here.....

Last edited:

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Bahhh, pour yourselves a shot of whiskey and kick your feet up. This phone is for fans as repeated many times before..... not much is expected in the way of converts or breakthroughs. It's more of a waystation while things align..... you guys are more dramatic than my favorite mistress. X-D

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft had a fundamental and simple choice regarding the future of Windows Phone

1) Can it and give up
2) Innovate and do something new

It's been repeated often enough that Microsoft are no longer aggressively chasing market share in terms of mobile (Nokia tried that with producing countless variants and it was never going to work). Instead, we have Windows 10 across all of our devices. Microsoft are delivering a well-respected version of Windows 10 on desktop and giving people the same experience across multiple hardware form-factors and this is where MS wants to pitch.

Lots of people are complaining about the change in design language, obvious features missing, things not working as well as they could etc. If Microsoft simply jazzed up WP8.1 a little, there would be even more complaints (look at how we jibe at Apple/Android for basically re-skinning the same thing over and over again).

Some people seem to hate change, and fear individuality.

I'm all in for Windows 10. I don't really care if I'm labelled as a ******, this does what I want from it and I'm happy not blindly following the crowd.

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
This is a very interesting topic. I am using W10M on a Nokia Lumia 1520. So far my overall view is that it is definitely a big step up up from WP8.1 Update 2 which is what I was using previously. Some of that, I think, is because there is more to scale the UI/UX for a larger screen. I also think that the Calendar, Email client and Office Apps are all significantly better than WM8.1. My only gripes so far are slight stability issues and that apps use more battery than they did on WP8.1. Interestingly, the phone has better standby battery life than before loosing only 1% of charge every 80 minutes or so on cellular network. This suggests that the OS is battery optimised but not the app engine.
However, I can't easily compare the system to Android or iOS as I've never had those devices so I can't comment on the OP's assertion that W10M will not draw anyone from different ecosystems.
My only comparative comment is that I use a WP8.1 U1 device for work which my employer chose for me and I am fairly convinced that I would be more productive out of the office if I had a W10M device instead. I note with interest that the enterprise version of W10M is already out and I can see this being a good platform for businesses when combined with universal apps for their in house company service portals (e.g. customer databases).

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Perfect analogy! I'll ride with it and expand upon...

The mall is looking great. Architecturally, is has that "modern art" vibe going for it, with a nice "Zen" courtyard/garden, and maybe even a small waterfall amongst the glass elevators. It has all the amenities of a new mall; a food court and a movie theatre. There's also restrooms (gotta have those!), and an area for kids to play (playground), and a kiosk to rent baby strollers.

The public is excited to see this new mall coming soon in their town, however, when looking at the sign that shows all the stores that will be at this new mall, they get disappointed. Yes, all the big anchor stores are there; JCPenny, Sears, and Belk, but all the little "cool" stores that make going to the mall fun are not (Spencer's Gifts, Hot Topic, Pac Sun, Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie, Journeys, KB Toys etc). Two people saw a sign in one of the windows that read 'Hot Topic - Coming Soon', but later that sign was removed.. and two years after the mall has been open it's still not there, nor has anyone heard anything.

Still, there are some people who will go to the new mall. They enjoy relaxing in the courtyard, marveling at the architecture of the marble pillars and glass ceiling. They're content with shopping at Sears and 'Emo Gifts' (which is kinda like a Hot Topic or Spencers, but not really). Most people though, would rather drive the extra couple miles across town, to the "old mall". The one that has the stores they love.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa