12-07-2015 01:11 AM
193 1234 ...
tools
    If Snapchat is peoples' reason to stay with iOS/Android, I'll choose AoE: Castle Siege. Not on Android, works terribly on iPhones, and it's on all my devices, ready for me to attack! Or see an embarrassing defeat... The app gap only exists depending on what apps you use. Maybe WM users should start claiming the competition has a feature gap, no glance, no continuum, no heavily integrated Cortana, no live tiles, not as secure, no keyboard/mouse support, no cursor on keyboard, etc... I prefer what I have now over what I used to use, thanks.
    Well put and glad to see someone thinking like me
    12-04-2015 04:20 AM
    I don't care much for this argument, but I'd just like to point out:

no keyboard/mouse support,
    Android has had keyboard and mouse support for years, whether you plug a usb mouse directly in, or connect via bluetooth, a mouse cursor appears on the screen as soon as you do. And keyboard? do you really believe Android doesn't support hardware keyboards?

The only thing I frequently plug into my Android phones when I use them is my XBox controller, and that's how I like to play games. I really wish this feature would come to Windows mobile, but there are hardly any controller enabled games for the platform compared to Android's huge catalog.
    N_LaRUE and gcyoung like this.
    12-04-2015 05:33 AM
    I'm glad the OP is happy with his Galaxy and hope it stays as good as he seems to think it is, but I can think of a reason to stay away from any Android device, even one running Cyanogen: security.

There is a long list of Android security flaws like Stagefright, which have plagued Android and with each one millions of users have been left out in the cold as only those with newer devices are patched to close the loopholes. That and the creeping laginess, which seems to be an accepted fact of life with Android, makes me think that this isn't well written code. It makes me wonder what other nasty surprises are around the corner for its billion plus users. Then of course, there is the issue of how trustworthy you think Google is - Android's biggest security flaw just doesn't seem to be fixable.

Then there is the issue of tomorrow and waiting for decent services. It isn't just a Windows issue, is it? I remember a discussion in these forums where an Android user extolled Lollipop and how it would solve all the problems in Android. A few weeks later, Android users were still complaining of lag and news reports were talking of Lollipop's penetration in the Android sector of about 1.5%. The grass doesn't seem any greener to me and there a triffids hiding in it. :)

I can't honestly say being treated like a second class customer is all that great, so I do think Microsoft need to get their collective finger out and solve some issues they have with their various services - the Onedrive sync client is driving me wild right now - but getting their apps up to speed with iOS/Android equivalents should be priority.

Right now. I'm sitting on enough cash to buy a Lumia 950XL. I'm waiting to see if these heating/battery drain issues manifest themselves, or whether Microsoft/exNokia engineers can weave enough magic to tame the Snapdragon 810, but part of me wonders if an iPhone isn't the way to go. Then again there is Surface or whatever can be done under the auspices of Panos Panay. At least I have options, but Android will never be one of them.
    realwarder and Ruster Kat like this.
    12-04-2015 06:24 AM
    ProShot is also not a Windows Phone exclusive. I have it on my iPhone 6S Plus and it's amazing...

I'll choose AoE: Castle Siege. Not on Android, works terribly on iPhones, and it's on all my devices, ready for me to attack! Or see an embarrassing defeat....
    "Works terribly on iPhones?"

I have AOE:CS on my 1520, as well as my iPhone 6S Plus, my iPad Air 2, and my desktop Windows 10 PC. The game runs perfectly, and exactly the same, both looks wise and performance wise, on both phones. I do prefer it on the iPad though.
    N_LaRUE, techiez and gcyoung like this.
    12-04-2015 06:42 AM
    Screw the app gap, I could care less about that. My point is that most of Microsoft's stuff is on Android and iOS and most of the time the experience is better.

I love MS hardware and I think it would be in their best interest to just ship a Surface Phone with Cyanogen and focus on making universal apps for the tablet and PC. The only other solution would be to just ship Surface Phone with the desktop Windows OS. I would be cool with that also.
    k12000lt likes this.
    12-04-2015 08:42 AM
    What I think is best for Microsoft is to give 100% focus on the software department. Get rid of every. Single. Bug.
    Polish the living **** out of this mobile OS, add a plethora of features.
    AND, partnership with other companies to make phones with their OS.
    Market share will increase and more apps will flow.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    SPS828 and TexasLabRat like this.
    12-04-2015 08:55 AM
    I came to a realization that Microsoft is going to be responsible for killing its own product.
    Growth for WP wasn't occuring when the core MS services/products didn't exist for iAndroid. That strategy failed. That's why they released EVERYTHING for EVERYWHERE. From a business perspective and as a shareholder myself, I agree, it is the right thing to do. Yeah, WP more-or-less got shafted, but this is more about MS preserving and growing MS, not about being anti-WP. As a WP fan, it sucks, yes, but you have to brake some eggs to make an omelet.
    gcyoung likes this.
    12-04-2015 09:36 AM
    What I think is best for Microsoft is to give 100% focus on the software department. Get rid of every. Single. Bug.
    Polish the living **** out of this mobile OS, add a plethora of features.
    AND, partnership with other companies to make phones with their OS.
    Market share will increase and more apps will flow.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Apps will anyways flow soon as W10 catches on laptops and PCs
    12-04-2015 09:41 AM
    12-04-2015 10:12 AM
    I wonder what phones the top brass at Microsoft use as their personal devices? Not the ones they show in public, but the phones they use when nobody else is looking at home at night in the bedroom? Seriously, they must see and understand the app gap. Though it does seem these uber-rich executives become so detached from the way most people live that they just can't relate. They never purchase coffee at Starbucks or have to deposit a check at the bank--some minion does it for them.
    Games Goblin likes this.
    12-04-2015 10:21 AM
    635 was great a year ago now, not so much. Time for a 640.
    12-04-2015 10:59 AM
    What are all these apps for?

Here's what I have on my lumia 1020 with wm10
    #1 toolkit
    6tag
    adobe reader
    battery app by Arthur Semenov
    Camcard
    Camscanner
    Excel
    Fantasia painter
    Here maps - - windows mobile exclusive
    Hyperlapse mobile- windows mobile exclusive
    Instagram beta
    Lumia camera - windows mobile exclusive
    Lumia cinemagraph - windows mobile exclusive
    Lumia creative studio- windows mobile exclusive
    Movie maker
    Opera mini
    Photosynth- windows mobile exclusive
    Picsketch free
    Powerpoint
    Proshot- windows mobile exclusive
    Scientific calculator
    Shazam
    Star chart
    Timelapse pro
    Tiny planets pro- windows mobile exclusive
    UC browser
    Whatsapp
    Word

The above apps and wordflow and backup and so many other features are reasons why I'll stay with windows mobile and not move to another platform because they have an app gap
    Weird flow is not what it is add cracked up to be. It takes me several edits to fix shredding I suppose. I don't know if the others are better since I never use them. Or keyboard though. And my experience on WM10 is worse with the keyboard than on wm8.

I just left ask the mistakes the keyboard has in the above. Of the apps you have listed above, I used to use photosynth and lumia camera until they were canned. Otherwise, it isn't just what is available, but what is missing.
    12-04-2015 11:32 AM
    Drama Queens: Took over Windows Central!
    Look man: Get over it: It is just a phone: Nobody cares for what you think: My opinion.
    12-04-2015 11:36 AM
    If Snapchat is peoples' reason to stay with iOS/Android, I'll choose AoE: Castle Siege. Not on Android, works terribly on iPhones, and it's on all my devices, ready for me to attack! Or see an embarrassing defeat... The app gap only exists depending on what apps you use. Maybe WM users should start claiming the competition has a feature gap, no glance, no continuum, no heavily integrated Cortana, no live tiles, not as secure, no keyboard/mouse support, no cursor on keyboard, etc... I prefer what I have now over what I used to use, thanks.
    So my glance never updates correctly. I end up having to turn on the phone, open weather several times a day to make it work on WM10. lived tiles are also less good about updating than they used to. Even the Windows Central app requires multiple logins to clear the unread number for me. And the way they implement them with the backgrounds now makes it hard to see your picture. I really wish they would solve this without me having to spend s bunch of time designing a home screen. I want to see my background and the live tile information.
    12-04-2015 11:36 AM
    They never purchase coffee at Starbucks or have to deposit a check at the bank--some minion does it for them.
    Paying with cash for a latte and going to the ATM, the horror of it all!!
    ajj3085, editguy and leonelfunes32 like this.
    12-04-2015 12:04 PM
    Hey, I don't like Starbucks coffee and I use the Ally Bank app on my Windows phone, but the app gap is the biggest reason WP is not more popular, and OP pointed out that even when we do have an official Microsoft app the quality is usually better on the other platforms.
    12-04-2015 12:19 PM
    Forbes Welcome: A Series Of Unfortunate Tech Predictions - Microsoft To Exit The Mobile Arms Race

glenada likes this.
    12-04-2015 12:54 PM
    Completely agree with the original posters comments. I too have been with Windows Phone since 2011. I couldn't wait anymore...the app gap just grew too large and even more so, the apps that are on Windows Phone are sorely, sorely outdated. I abandoned ship last night and got the Nexus 5X. I'm sorry Windows Phone, please forgive me.
    Clinton_O and Aresmay like this.
    12-04-2015 01:22 PM
    I'm a hardcore Windows fan. I make my living supporting Windows networks. I can't stand Android and I tolerate iOS. However, the Lumia 950/950 XL put me in a tough spot. My Verizon Lumia 928 was long in the tooth. On top of that I dropped it twice and cracked the screen. It was time for a new phone. My job pays for my mobile phone and it's a Verizon account so I had to hold my nose and get a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+. At least the phone is beautiful as can be.

After coming to grips with the gaudy-as-hell interface and the 3 copies of apps that all do the same damn thing, I quickly realized something: I can do everything I could do on my Windows Phone and more. And no, I'm not talking about capabilities, I'm talking about using core Microsoft services and apps. Here's what I'm talking about:

• I can access my One Notes
    • I can access my Office docs on One Drive
    • I can Skype
    • My pictures automatically sync to my One Drive with no extra configuration that I can remember except installing One Drive
    • Apps as far as the eye can see
    • Glance replaced by the Edge interface

I came to a realization that Microsoft is going to be responsible for killing its own product. A former Windows lifer was forced to go with a competitor and is not missing the experience at all. I must admit that I miss the clean, beautiful interface of WP, but with the app gap gone I can get away with things like not having to print insurance cards and I discovered the beauty of Samsung Pay which I can use at any store. The only big thing missing for me, and its on its way, is Cortana. Once I'm able to sync my reminders to my phone again, my experience will be complete. Right now, Android still has the old Bing widget. Once that's replaced by Cortana, I'll delete the Google widget and replace it with Cortana.

So Windows Phone is basically done from an OS level. However, Microsoft should not abandon the hardware. They should still have a platform that can act as a reference platform for their applications and services. They should still release the Surface Phone...but with one caveat.

Surface Phone should run Cyanogen. Microsoft should just purchase Cyanogen and tweak it to serve as a reference platform for its apps and services. If they want to skin it with the Modern UI that would be even better. The app gap will be instantly eliminated and MS can focus its efforts on supporting a platform neutral mobile payments platform. Because it's clear that no one needs Windows 10 Mobile, not even Windows 10 fans.
    I am in the same situation...Work pays for phone (for both work and personal use) and went with a Note 5. Yes, interface is nothing like our beloved Windows Phone but I had to move on, especially when we didn't get the 950 series.

And I used to be one of those who used to tell people to avoid Android like CRACGOR said "But it will have terrible lag, be slow, the apps are terrible, your battery will be terrible, live tiles rule, and google will control your life"
    But I am surprised how much this doesn't happen and how I love the Note 5. It was agonizing for the first few weeks because I felt guilty for leaving the Lumia ICON. But I honestly can do more with this phone and there are a lot more "cool" things I can do as well to please my geeky side.
    12-04-2015 01:33 PM
    Not all Microsoft services work well on Android, at least not for me. Cortana isn't well integrated and is buggy. Groove looks beta, is slow and just decides to stop playing mid song. Arrow launcher isn't as good as the competition. The is no Edge browser for Android, so if you use a PC and a Android phone you are probably using Chrome. I find Gmail works better on Android than Outlook, which has a problem with not always deleting emails. Yes, Office and OneDrive work but if I really want to take full advantage an Android device I would switch to Google services. Currently I'm switching back and forth between the Note Edge, 950 XL, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Surface Pro 4. I wish I could just settle on one ecosystem, preferably Microsoft services, but too many people are crying disaster for Windows Mobile.
    12-04-2015 01:34 PM
    Completely agree with the original posters comments. I too have been with Windows Phone since 2011. I couldn't wait anymore...the app gap just grew too large and even more so, the apps that are on Windows Phone are sorely, sorely outdated. I abandoned ship last night and got the Nexus 5X. I'm sorry Windows Phone, please forgive me.
    Yes...just because we leave the platform doesn't mean we are slamming it. It has become about the apps...and I am really having "fun" with Google Cardboard.
    12-04-2015 01:38 PM
    Not all Microsoft services work well on Android, at least not for me. Cortana isn't well integrated and is buggy. Groove looks beta, is slow and just decides to stop playing mid song. Arrow launcher isn't as good as the competition. The is no Edge browser for Android, so if you use a PC and a Android phone you are probably using Chrome. I find Gmail works better on Android than Outlook, which has a problem with not always deleting emails. Yes, Office and OneDrive work but if I really want to take full advantage an Android device I would switch to Google services. Currently I'm switching back and forth between the Note Edge, 950 XL, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Surface Pro 4. I wish I could just settle on one ecosystem, preferably Microsoft services, but too many people are crying disaster for Windows Mobile.
    Good Post...Yeah, I've sadly uninstalled Cortana and gone full in with Google Now. I didn't have many bugs with it but because I never quite got a good calendar/contact sync using Outlook, I went to stock email for sync contacts and calendar (now Google) and Cortana just doesn't sync with Google Calendar. I LOVED Outlook but just didn't get the full system integration with it.

I use Office on it and rely on OneNote for my IT notes, but since we got an Amazon Echo, been using Alexa for our family to-do and grocery list. Love it!

Groove...oh how I loved thee...on WINDOWS PHONE. On Android, it just feels orphaned and incomplete. I slowly moving over to Google Music or Amazon Music. Google Music has much larger "streaming" catalog over PRIME Music but I do like using Alexa for Prime Music.

I do wish I could stay in Microsoft Services but there is so much else out there and currently trying to grow with it and settle with what works the most.
    12-04-2015 02:01 PM
    The above apps and wordflow and backup and so many other features are reasons why I'll stay with windows mobile and not move to another platform because they have an app gap
    The "app gap" is the least of our worries. It's the "OS gap" that bothers me because It'll be abandoned by MS in 2 years.

Not the end of the world I suppose. Like the OP says... all of MS's apps are on other platforms and they'll continue to flourish.
    12-04-2015 03:28 PM
    I'm glad the OP is happy with his Galaxy and hope it stays as good as he seems to think it is, but I can think of a reason to stay away from any Android device, even one running Cyanogen: security.

There is a long list of Android security flaws like Stagefright, which have plagued Android and with each one millions of users have been left out in the cold as only those with newer devices are patched to close the loopholes. That and the creeping laginess, which seems to be an accepted fact of life with Android, makes me think that this isn't well written code. It makes me wonder what other nasty surprises are around the corner for its billion plus users. Then of course, there is the issue of how trustworthy you think Google is - Android's biggest security flaw just doesn't seem to be fixable.

Then there is the issue of tomorrow and waiting for decent services. It isn't just a Windows issue, is it? I remember a discussion in these forums where an Android user extolled Lollipop and how it would solve all the problems in Android. A few weeks later, Android users were still complaining of lag and news reports were talking of Lollipop's penetration in the Android sector of about 1.5%. The grass doesn't seem any greener to me and there a triffids hiding in it. :)

I can't honestly say being treated like a second class customer is all that great, so I do think Microsoft need to get their collective finger out and solve some issues they have with their various services - the Onedrive sync client is driving me wild right now - but getting their apps up to speed with iOS/Android equivalents should be priority.

Right now. I'm sitting on enough cash to buy a Lumia 950XL. I'm waiting to see if these heating/battery drain issues manifest themselves, or whether Microsoft/exNokia engineers can weave enough magic to tame the Snapdragon 810, but part of me wonders if an iPhone isn't the way to go. Then again there is Surface or whatever can be done under the auspices of Panos Panay. At least I have options, but Android will never be one of them.
    Honestly I've played some hours of games on that thing sometimes with the cable plugged in charging and it does get slightly warm but never hot. It actually spreads the heat very well so you get this nice warm feeling instead of a hot spot. It's not that noticeable without the charger. I mean I have felt it warm no doubt but not enough to notice and record what I was actually doing at the time. And the battery charging seems to be the only one I can think of right now where it gets warmer than I'm used to at least. I'll try to pay more attention now hehe.

And yah it sucks that android supports xbox one controller and windows 10 mobile doesn't. They probably need to rewrite the drivers from scratch for the arm platform. What I like about them bringing windows 10 to desktop is that unified games will likely be built around xbox as a first priority so gamepad support will be built in by default. This of course requires that developers start taking advantage of the universal platform.
    12-04-2015 05:30 PM
    ProShot is available for Android as well.
    12-04-2015 05:37 PM
193 1234 ...