12-07-2015 01:11 AM
193 12345 ...
tools
    ProShot is also not a Windows Phone exclusive. I have it on my iPhone 6S Plus and it's amazing...

"Works terribly on iPhones?"

I have AOE:CS on my 1520, as well as my iPhone 6S Plus, my iPad Air 2, and my desktop Windows 10 PC. The game runs perfectly, and exactly the same, both looks wise and performance wise, on both phones. I do prefer it on the iPad though.
    I prefer using continuum on my tv. Oh wait, AOE:CS isn't universal.
    7a2eer likes this.
    12-04-2015 06:27 PM
    But it will have terrible lag, be slow, the apps are terrible, your battery will be terrible, live tiles rule, and google will control your life...are all things you can expect to hear.
    I have a Galaxy S6 edge and let me say something, The battery life is absolutely terrible, touchwiz is absolutely terrible, the phone slows down very quickly, way to much bloat that you can not uninstall, edge screen is very gimmicky( I don't use it as its kind of pointless). The design of the phone looked cool when I first purchased but now is a pain in the *** with constant glare no matter how you look at the screen. Now apps, yes android has many apps but most of them run like crap. So I use my 950XL as my daily driver, and as it dual sim I have my business and personal mobile in one phone. I absolutely hate android its terrible compared to Windows 10 Mobile, maybe the will change with android 6 when its released by Samsung but they will probably **** it up with touchwiz. No I will not root a phone just to make it run as a flagship phone should run.
    editguy likes this.
    12-04-2015 06:29 PM
    Get Cortana Beta! Can replace Google Now as the home assistant.

I've been wanting Microsoft to ditch WP but keep WinRT. Imagine Microsoft had their own store (Like Amazon) on Android. Android and Windows developers can have their apps in the store, and Microsoft can provide incentive by decreasing rates.

Now, assuming Microsoft wins over companies like Samsung and LG, Microsoft would have effectively stolen Android from Google! Microsoft Store, Outlook, Office, Groove, etc...

Seriously, how isn't this a good idea? XD
    12-04-2015 07:53 PM
    Just want to chime in that Cortana for Android is available as well.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-04-2015 07:53 PM
    No.

Microsoft should, and will, stick with the Windows OS on phones... or just get out of the phone hardware business completely.

Why produce hardware that doesn't run Windows when they could, and are, achieving the same results on iOS & Android devices with Microsoft apps? It makes zero sense.
    Its about owning the platform. When did BBM become cross platform? ;)))
    12-04-2015 07:56 PM
    So my glance never updates correctly. I end up having to turn on the phone, open weather several times a day to make it work on WM10. lived tiles are also less good about updating than they used to. Even the Windows Central app requires multiple logins to clear the unread number for me. And the way they implement them with the backgrounds now makes it hard to see your picture. I really wish they would solve this without me having to spend s bunch of time designing a home screen. I want to see my background and the live tile information.
    Then move on to another phone and OS and quit posting your garbage here. I can't take you seriously because everything you say about WP is negative. And it's clear that's why you're here. You just want a forum for bashing WP. The internet is loaded with them. I came here to get away from that garbage.
    12-04-2015 07:57 PM
    I actually almost left Windows Phone for some of the same reasons as the op. I only decided to stay because of the promise of Windows 10. I would hate to jump ship right when things are at least moving in a new direction. I am not opposed to Microsoft services on other platforms but I would like to see them have exclusive features for Windows Phone. Get them hooked on Android and IOS and then lure them in with exclusives.
    12-04-2015 08:13 PM
    You sure you willing to give up all those hot groin snaps?
    I was willing, can't speak for everyone though...

"Works terribly on iPhones?"

I have AOE:CS on my 1520, as well as my iPhone 6S Plus, my iPad Air 2, and my desktop Windows 10 PC. The game runs perfectly, and exactly the same, both looks wise and performance wise, on both phones. I do prefer it on the iPad though.
    Yeah, it works terribly...

A few iPhone-owning friends gave it a shot and gave up on it because it keeps saying it lost connection to the server, or checksum error, or unresponsive troops. So they gave it up and went back to Clash of Clans. I agree that the experience is much better on a bigger screen!
    12-04-2015 08:24 PM
    Growth for WP wasn't occuring when the core MS services/products didn't exist for iAndroid. That strategy failed. That's why they released EVERYTHING for EVERYWHERE. From a business perspective and as a shareholder myself, I agree, it is the right thing to do. Yeah, WP more-or-less got shafted, but this is more about MS preserving and growing MS, not about being anti-WP. As a WP fan, it sucks, yes, but you have to brake some eggs to make an omelet.
    Agree with you on the need for MS to port to other platforms. But Outlook/Office on IOS/Android shouldn't be clearly superior to what is on windows phone/mobile.
    12-04-2015 08:53 PM
    But it will have terrible lag, be slow, the apps are terrible, your battery will be terrible, live tiles rule, and google will control your life...are all things you can expect to hear.
    Ya know, I have been around here for a while, a Windows Phone like the OP, I make my living off supporting Microsoft stuff, servers, computers, etc. As I am a HUGE Windows Phone fan... I always followed the group here (instead of a iSheep, a Microsheep ?), and claimed Android was a laggy mess as other people keep saying.

When it comes down to it, I picked up a LG G3 for almost nothing. I did a test and used it for over a week, taking my ICON and just leaving it on a charger.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/and...d-project.html

I was EXEPECTING a laggy mess and performance that sucked completely. You know what ? I noticed no major lag over the week, performance was over all pretty good, Battery life was what I expected in 8.1, about a day and ad the end maybe 25-40% left. But you know what the ONE thing I did notice ?

Apps, OMG apps, Bank of America ? Got it, NATIVE Pebble support ? Got it, How about Dish Network's sling app ? GOT IT, How about the newest games ? Yep ! How about my Local Radio and TV stations ? Yep, Got it. Tap to pay ? Yep they are there too. Microsoft apps ? Oh yea, they are there too, even Outlook is there.

Yea, the OS, not too crazy about it. Android is a mess... so I was going to sell my LG G3 in white but, I still have it because I am on the fence. I love Windows Phone, the OS is smooth, easy to use, live tiles ROCK. Windows Phone 10, on the other hand, looks good but, still is very buggy but, 8.1 is solid as a rock. The lack of apps are the biggest problem, The OS can only go so far, in a app controlled world that we are in, no matter how you look at it, it is a MAJOR problem.

I'm just lost now....Do I stay with Windows Phone, that the lack of apps are causing me issues.... Issues you say ? How about Bank of America app ? When we had it, I used to be able to deposit checks with the SWEET camera on my ICON, then it got pulled, so If I get a check, I need to drive about 10 miles (nearest BOA) to deposit the check. Tap to Pay was sweet when we had it, It was so easy, just slide out my phone, open a app, and tap to pay, cant do that any more because I have a Windows Phone... Or do I move on...

As a Microsoft person who has used HPCS, PocketPC, WIndows Mobile devices from 1.0 (PDAs then Smartphones)to 4 Windows Phone devices...I just don't know what to do now...

Maybe I should not of given Android a shot in the first place....The OS sucks but, the apps are beyond wonderful and I cant see Windows Phone ever getting to the level of Android or iOS.

Like a lot of things Microsoft does, a day late and a dollar short.... If Windows Phone came out right after the iPhone before Android, we would be right where we want to be with it...
    12-04-2015 09:18 PM
    Ya know, I have been around here for a while, a Windows Phone like the OP, I make my living off supporting Microsoft stuff, servers, computers, etc. As I am a HUGE Windows Phone fan... I always followed the group here (instead of a iSheep, a Microsheep ?), and claimed Android was a laggy mess as other people keep saying.

When it comes down to it, I picked up a LG G3 for almost nothing. I did a test and used it for over a week, taking my ICON and just leaving it on a charger.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/and...d-project.html

I was EXEPECTING a laggy mess and performance that sucked completely. You know what ? I noticed no major lag over the week, performance was over all pretty good, Battery life was what I expected in 8.1, about a day and ad the end maybe 25-40% left. But you know what the ONE thing I did notice ?

Apps, OMG apps, Bank of America ? Got it, NATIVE Pebble support ? Got it, How about Dish Network's sling app ? GOT IT, How about the newest games ? Yep ! How about my Local Radio and TV stations ? Yep, Got it. Tap to pay ? Yep they are there too. Microsoft apps ? Oh yea, they are there too, even Outlook is there.

Yea, the OS, not too crazy about it. Android is a mess... so I was going to sell my LG G3 in white but, I still have it because I am on the fence. I love Windows Phone, the OS is smooth, easy to use, live tiles ROCK. Windows Phone 10, on the other hand, looks good but, still is very buggy but, 8.1 is solid as a rock. The lack of apps are the biggest problem, The OS can only go so far, in a app controlled world that we are in, no matter how you look at it, it is a MAJOR problem.

I'm just lost now....Do I stay with Windows Phone, that the lack of apps are causing me issues.... Issues you say ? How about Bank of America app ? When we had it, I used to be able to deposit checks with the SWEET camera on my ICON, then it got pulled, so If I get a check, I need to drive about 10 miles (nearest BOA) to deposit the check. Tap to Pay was sweet when we had it, It was so easy, just slide out my phone, open a app, and tap to pay, cant do that any more because I have a Windows Phone... Or do I move on...

As a Microsoft person who has used HPCS, PocketPC, WIndows Mobile devices from 1.0 (PDAs then Smartphones)to 4 Windows Phone devices...I just don't know what to do now...

Maybe I should not of given Android a shot in the first place....The OS sucks but, the apps are beyond wonderful and I cant see Windows Phone ever getting to the level of Android or iOS.

Like a lot of things Microsoft does, a day late and a dollar short.... If Windows Phone came out right after the iPhone before Android, we would be right where we want to be with it...
    And so would have been Blackberry if they had come out with BB 10 right after IOS.
    12-04-2015 09:39 PM
    Except that MS was in the phone business and had sold millions of Windows Mobile phones before Apple launched the first iPhone.When Apple entered the market, MS was confident that the iPhone was the wrong device at the wrong price. In the years since, MS has tried hard and spent a lot of money in an effort to be a major player in the smartphone space. But they have struggled to put together an offer (hardware, software and ecosystem) that appeals to more than a limited segment of consumers. The many threads on this board debating whether the chronic app gap means it's time to give up on WP suggest pretty strongly that MS still hasn't solved that problem.

MS has lost a lot of money on Windows Phone -- the kind of money that only a big company with deep pockets could afford. But they don't want to keep doing that indefinitely. If the 950 series had debuted to lots of rave reviews from both tech writers and consumers, I'd be feeling more optimistic. But the response has been mixed at best. MS has already taken a big write-down on the Lumia phone business. It may not be so long before they do the same for the rest of the phone operation.
    12-04-2015 10:13 PM
    Like you say. No one needs apps, but they do have the ability to make life easier. Is hard to understand when you, like most of us, live in a windows household
    12-04-2015 11:07 PM
    I prefer using continuum on my tv. Oh wait, AOE:CS isn't universal.
    Are you sure? I've been playing the same game; my same level 8 Keep on all my devices, Windows and Apple. Picks right up where I left off on the last device used.

Yeah, it works terribly...

A few iPhone-owning friends gave it a shot and gave up on it because it keeps saying it lost connection to the server, or checksum error, or unresponsive troops. So they gave it up and went back to Clash of Clans.
    So you haven't actually tried it yourself... but are just going by what your friends said?

I've never had any of those issues on either my 1520, my iPhone, my iPad, or my Win10 desktop. The game has always run perfectly on every device I've played it on.

Your friends probably didn't have their Microsoft/Xbox account set up correctly or something.

And you don't have to give up one to play another you know... I play Clash of Clans as well on my iOS devices.
    12-04-2015 11:16 PM
    So you haven't actually tried it yourself... but are just going by what your friends said?

I've never had any of those issues on either my 1520, my iPhone, my iPad, or my Win10 desktop. The game has always run perfectly on every device I've played it on.

Your friends probably didn't have their Microsoft/Xbox account set up correctly or something.

And you don't have to give up one to play another you know... I play Clash of Clans as well on my iOS devices.
    I've tried it, that's why I believe them. Not a great experience. They logged in to their Xbox accounts, no success. And they would've given up on CoC since apparently only one game of that genre is more than enough... To me there's no such thing as too much of one genre!
    Laura Knotek and Ed Boland like this.
    12-05-2015 12:38 AM
    I tend to agree with you on this. For those of us living in Europe, Cortana isn't available unless you change the regional settings, and even then it's fairly useless. Apps are better on Android, including Windows apps. Microsoft shot itself in the foot when it bought the phone business from Nokia: they simply didn't know what they were doing, which is why they've gone from about 10% smartphone market share to below 3%. My favourite phone will always be my Lumia 920, but I'm only keeping it as a spare now, and I'm doing everything I need to on my Samsung Galaxy Edge. It's a shame: I always preferred the WP experience
    DavidinCT likes this.
    12-05-2015 01:56 AM
    I've been wanting Microsoft to ditch WP but keep WinRT. Imagine Microsoft had their own store (Like Amazon) on Android. Android and Windows developers can have their apps in the store, and Microsoft can provide incentive by decreasing rates.
    That's the road Nokia was going down (Nokia X) before Microsoft bought them. As far as I know, Microsoft is still operating this Android app store!

Now, assuming Microsoft wins over companies like Samsung and LG, Microsoft would have effectively stolen Android from Google! Microsoft Store, Outlook, Office, Groove, etc...

Seriously, how isn't this a good idea? XD
    It's not that easy, you have to entice the user with something. You can't just take away features.
    12-05-2015 02:35 AM
    Its about owning the platform. When did BBM become cross platform? ;)))
    BlackBerry Messenger is available for Windows Phone, Android, and iOS in addition to BlackBerry. BBM for Android & iPhone iOS - Download Free Instant Messaging - US

I've used BBM on Windows Phone and Android.
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    12-05-2015 03:08 AM
    I get exactly what you're saying in your post, I often wonder why those who attend the conferences never ask MS why do the make their own apps 10X better on rival platforms compared to those found on their own. Never ? really how will they get consumers to take notice when the app makers neglect to entertain WP knowing they don't even have a finished OS to at least sign up for a race vs IOS and Android.

Finish the damn OS for mobile!!! Stop announcing OS updates, upgrades and then having consumers waiting over a year for it. So faqn stupid the top brass and those who run these development departments as MS.
    12-05-2015 06:05 AM
    How can anyone be surprised by posts like this. The market share of Windows Phone has been slipping and slipping while the race to close the app gap just keeps getting wider. I don't think this is a case of people complaining to complain - these are legitimate points. This is years of wanting a platform to succeed and watching it fail.

Microsoft already has a backup plan - that is make all the services for the other platforms....first and better. Accept it or not that is simply the reality.
    gcyoung and mariusmuntean like this.
    12-05-2015 06:19 AM
    I've tried it, that's why I believe them. Not a great experience. They logged in to their Xbox accounts, no success. And they would've given up on CoC since apparently only one game of that genre is more than enough... To me there's no such thing as too much of one genre!
    Unfortunately for a lot of iPhone users, apps like AOE and Skype are betamax to their VHS.
    12-05-2015 06:59 AM
    The market share where? In Europe Microsoft holds 10-15% and growing Apple only average 20-25% in a android dominated market. With android being only trusted with spotty teenagers who like happysnappychat apps etc from a security point of view Android is a complete no no. We can count out Apple as their phones battery is horrendously rubbish and gives you no more than happysnappychat app quality. People who work, who have a PC, Who have a surface or even a xbox are the target for Microsoft. When Enterprise start the port to win 10 next year it is almost a certainty that these companies will upgrade their phones to the win 10 family. The question you have to ask yourself is 'Do I really need to use my phone as a spirit level'?
    920Walker likes this.
    12-05-2015 07:04 AM
    The market share where? In Europe Microsoft holds 10-15% and growing Apple only average 20-25% in a android dominated market. With android being only trusted with spotty teenagers who like happysnappychat apps etc from a security point of view Android is a complete no no. We can count out Apple as their phones battery is horrendously rubbish and gives you no more than happysnappychat app quality. People who work, who have a PC, Who have a surface or even a xbox are the target for Microsoft. When Enterprise start the port to win 10 next year it is almost a certainty that these companies will upgrade their phones to the win 10 family. The question you have to ask yourself is 'Do I really need to use my phone as a spirit level'?
    I don't think my wife's iPhone battery is any worse than any I have on windows phone. She may use it more since switching on a consistent basis, but she does not have to charge it during the day.

I think calling SnapChat an app for teenagers shows how out of touch people are. All age groups use it. I don't understand it anymore than I understand why instagram, vine, or twitter took off, but it has.

Worldwide...no time to look up country by country.

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartpho...rket-share.jsp
    gcyoung likes this.
    12-05-2015 07:23 AM
    Except that MS was in the phone business and had sold millions of Windows Mobile phones before Apple launched the first iPhone.When Apple entered the market, MS was confident that the iPhone was the wrong device at the wrong price.
    And so would have been Blackberry if they had come out with BB 10 right after IOS.
    Nah, blackberry 10 ? The OS that emulates Android apps ? Talk about a day late and a dollar short... Delay and delay even worse than Microsoft.

Pre-iPhone, there was Black Berry and Windows Mobile. Black Berry was boring and was really limited to corporate use if you wanted to take full advantage of the feature set, if you wanted email on the road, this is one of the most accepted option at the time (requiring a BLACK BERRY server in the corporate world). Windows Mobile was a buggy mess because of all the 3rd party themes for it. One you dumped in HTC sense or one of the other front ends, it took a good phone and slowed it down to a crawl.

Truth is, if you got a custom rom on a Windows Mobile 6.5.3 device, and just did the OS, no 3rd party front ends, it was an impressive phone, It did most things that a modern smart phone today does (dated TODAY), email, texts, web browser, TONS of 3rd party apps and games (store and downloadable), there was even an app store. The Problem is was all the front ends for it, No one could get the Windows Mobile experience because of this, and ONE of the reasons when Windows Phone 7 came out, No OEM could make front ends for it (Microsoft was VERY CLEAR ABOUT THIS)

If Microsoft could of released 6.5 devices with NO OEM front ends, There might of been a higher acceptance of the phone at the time. It was very easy to use, very slick, full featured and performed VERY well on mid line hardware (with NO FRONT ENDS)

The iPhone was the phone at the right time, Android was always known as a poor mans iPhone... it was cheap, not everyone could afford an iPhone or carried it (AT&T lock for years), so by nature, someone who wanted a new phone and could not access or afford a iDevice, got an Android device.

There is no going back from it, for both phones, WP and BB, They needed to redesign from the ground up, for apps and a solid device, Apple just did it first and Android followed up...where WP SHOULD of been.
    12-05-2015 09:58 AM
    Plus windows mobile in the day was seen as cumbersome and a small PC that didn't work as well. Maybe because of the onlays. That's my reason for not getting one before and going for BlackBerry. Blackberry's appeal in the day was that the interface was pretty much the same as the phone's. I remember seeing windows mobile hand sets with a tiny start menu and stylus and I wasn't really interested. It is kind of an interesting analogy though because one of the things I thought would Save the platform is bringing in a pen and continuum which makes the phone into a PC. Granted it is a different interface, but still funny to come full circle.
    12-05-2015 10:06 AM
193 12345 ...