The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-07-2015 01:11 AM
193 ... 5678
tools
    Just because you decide to move on ... that does not mean the windows mobile platform is dead. There are still plenty of us out there that do not use windows mobile just for apps. Yeah I'm disappointed with the release of 950/950XL, but I'm still rocking on my Lumia 920 with latest windows 10 mobile. It still serves me with all my needs. I believe MS is heading to the correct direction now with windows 10 mobile.
    GrayW0lf and libra89 like this.
    12-06-2015 01:18 PM
    And guess which apps drives me crazy on WM10.. Messenger - stuck on 8.1 missing features, Skype 8.1 missing features, Viber 8.1 missing features, Windows Central 8.1 extra slow with bugs and crashes.. When will we enjoy new Universal apps? No one knows. New Skype in messaging app.. Missing features... Can't join a call, cant share files, photos not supported.. This is why I want Android..
    I'm trying the v10 as soon as I can get it this week. Even though it has no wireless charging you can add it for $6. Even comes with extra battery and 64gb sd card until the 20th. If I don't like it, then I will try the nexus 6p, then maybe the note 5, but if I like none of those I will have to go apple...though I am more biased against them.

I know in theory android is less secure than the others, but a lot of these arguments are what mac users used to say about pcs. Pcs are slow, they have instability and blue screen, they are insecure and get viruses, they have features you don't need. Meanwhile Macs are rock solid and have less choice but everything just works. Back then I went windows/linux for versatility. I settled on windows because of ease and availability of mainstream software. I feel like this is pretty much exactly like that. The good news is Macs are on the rise thanks to the iPhone and iPod. Maybe if Microsoft invents some new products everyone needs like robot hands then they will bring windows phone out of the ashes. Until then...
    12-06-2015 01:42 PM
    I'm trying the v10 as soon as I can get it this week. Even though it has no wireless charging you can add it for $6. Even comes with extra battery and 64gb sd card until the 20th. If I don't like it, then I will try the nexus 6p, then maybe the note 5, but if I like none of those I will have to go apple...though I am more biased against them.

I know in theory android is less secure than the others, but a lot of these arguments are what mac users used to say about pcs. Pcs are slow, they have instability and blue screen, they are insecure and get viruses, they have features you don't need. Meanwhile Macs are rock solid and have less choice but everything just works. Back then I went windows/linux for versatility. I settled on windows because of ease and availability of mainstream software. I feel like this is pretty much exactly like that. The good news is Macs are on the rise thanks to the iPhone and iPod. Maybe if Microsoft invents some new products everyone needs like robot hands then they will bring windows phone out of the ashes. Until then...
    I hope you like V10 :)
    12-06-2015 01:56 PM
    Being honest why do so many people whine about everything Windows 8.1 was better than 10 mobile, that is under crap you couldnt even have a background image now you have the choice for both. Glance screen back, SD card, wireless charging, removable battery, top notch camera. The list goes on and there are bugs, but Windows has actually upgraded more phones to windows 10 mobile than Marshmallow. They dont need Android what they need is for people to give suggestion not say its dead. Windows 10 mobile based on Feedback from users and you all still complain. Honestly feels like some people are moles planted to try to take windows down. My opinion. The surface phone will happen, but I believe its going to be based off feedback from suggestions. Microsoft is too big to let Android run them. You want YouTube they could make their own with the money they have. Sorry for the rant. Plus I feel like people want everything cheap yet Iphone lower specs sells hand over foot for being so overprice. Seems like cheap people complaining about what they can't afford. Loving my 950!

Why is my post deleted for telling the truth?
    ven07, Harrie-S, libra89 and 3 others like this.
    12-06-2015 02:34 PM
    I gave up on WM/WP back with the Dell Venue Pro. Was pretty excited to get Mango on it, but the workaround to tether with it was pretty harsh. Does WP 10 allow a more seamless Network Adapter management style, like simply being able to share out the connection as you can with full Windows 10?
    12-06-2015 02:38 PM
    Well it's been awhile since I've seen a "positive rant"
    12-06-2015 02:40 PM
    I gave up on WM/WP back with the Dell Venue Pro. Was pretty excited to get Mango on it, but the workaround to tether with it was pretty harsh. Does WP 10 allow a more seamless Network Adapter management style, like simply being able to share out the connection as you can with full Windows 10?
    Yes, WP8.x and W10M both offer Wifi Hotspot functionality. It's pretty easy to set up and connect to.
    Silent Patriot likes this.
    12-06-2015 02:45 PM
    Simply because people like to whine. :-)

I much prefer W10M to 8.1 on my Lumia 925 and I may very well upgrade to a 950 when the time comes, but if I was to post a thread saying that it would sink without trace, as opposed to the naysayers (and I suspect more than a few trolls) who predict doom and gloom.
    editguy and Nogitsune Micah like this.
    12-06-2015 02:56 PM
    It has to do with technology allowing us to communicate across the world for free. We have access to the internet, and a voice now. It is phenomenal how much our voice can be heard now, and some people love the sound of their voice. Haha. It happens to athletes. They are stronger, faster, and a lot more talented than ever before, but are also the most criticized in history. Companies, such as MS, and athletes just have to learn to only pay attention to comments that come from smart people...the ones that provide constructive criticism to help them improve.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-06-2015 02:59 PM
    It is too bad that you have been influenced by this post. L950XL is nearing a perfect phablet. Hardwarewise, it is the best Lumia ever. The issue is that W10M is not quite there yet. We knew that Build 10586 was not quite done before L950XL was released. But it was good enough to launch and relying the subsequent updates to finish it up. Because users really don't want to see the release be pushed out to Spring. I fully understand this so I never expect the L950XL to be bug free. After 9 days of heavy use as a daily driver, I can honestly tell you that L950XL is definitely usable. There are some crashes and unexplained reboots. But noting is deal breaker. I'm quite happy with L950XL as is now. The display, camera and Continuum have given me real pleasant surprises. The Continuum experience with a Dock is a real treat that would make L950XL standout among the competitions. Some people are criticizing L950/L950XL hard in order to justify their plarform switching decision they already made. But if you plan to stay with W10M, L950XL is definitely ready for you now. The coming W10M updates will certainly iron out the quirks and become mature over time.
    Last edited by Yangstax; 12-06-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    editguy likes this.
    12-06-2015 03:43 PM
    This is ridiculous. I love how people tell me that based on their criteria I don't need a windows phone and I only want it because I am a fanatic.

These types of post need to be locked for flaming but they get to stay open.

What baffles me is the fact that people feel the need to try and influence others to go android.

Android is a Crap Pos to me
    12-06-2015 03:48 PM
    Might sound crazy but I think some people work for Android or Apple. I myself have z3, s6, and my wife has Nexus 6. My daily driver is Lumia 930 since it gets Insider updates and my Lumia 950. I just can't see the appeal to Android or IOS I keep coming back to Windows. Maybe bluestack could make an app to please the Android crowd that complain about everything.
    Slovenix and editguy like this.
    12-06-2015 04:13 PM
    Left Android and my Samsung Vibrant 6 years ago for Windows Phone.

Guess what? Back then there wasn't a 'gap' it was a frickin ABYSS - but I never looked back.

People say - sure WP has a better UI, but...

To me UI is EVERYTHING. Someone had actually made a WP7 launcher back then for Android - and me who was changing launchers and skins 2-3 times a week suddenly found that I had left the WP launcher alone for 2 months and I STILL wasn't tired of it!

Over the years, I have been completely satisfied with WP and absolutely love the latest iteration on my new Lumia 950.

Things I hated about Android (besides drag and drain)

GMail - I use it online and still hate it. Hate contacts as well. Hated Picassa.
    The last is a bit rectified - my nephew has Google Photos and looks like it's caught up pretty well with Flickr.
    While I love Cyanogen Mod - I hated having to install it in order to make Android work the way I wanted!

What I hate about WP - Msft making premium versions for anything but their own OS!!!

My Gap from Android has narrowed to three critical items:

Rocket Bunnies - O man I STILL miss that horrid little game.

CyanogenMod - able to turn the entire UI monochromatic - would love to see this. With AMOLED, you could turn your device interface to deep blue and set to lowest dim setting and you could text from any dark environement without anyone else being able to see anything.

Samsung Pay - have seen people use it and even Paul Thurott loves it - so who am I to argue? Never did use, so don't miss it.

Against all of these, to me the overall experience of the Lumias coupled with kickass Photo and Video shooting still IMO set WP far far above AOSP or iOS no matter the app gap is.

Shows how personal these things are. I disagree Msft is 'killing' the platform - up to now they just haven't done a good job developing or promoting it - but to me it's still the best.
    Guytronic and editguy like this.
    12-06-2015 04:21 PM
    In all fairness, the OP has a point here and is entitled to express it. And here is my opinion! I am a strong MS fan for several reasons:
    1) I appreciate the beauty and engineering of the hardware (Surface Book, SP4, 950xl)
    2) I support the business philosophy of the company (giving us options for making us more productive and improving our communication)
    MS is, of course, a big company that needs to show its shareholders a return on their investment. While by no means "open source", MS products tend to be more inclusive and cooperative with other companies' products and services, creating multiple "win-win" situations. It is my opinion that Apple and Google are more focused on simply generating maximum profit, while restricting their customers' options.

I feel like a pioneer with MS software now; so much is changing, and it is exciting to experience; but there are frustrations as well when bugs pop up. I can still be as productive as I need to be with my Surfaces and Windows phone. I do not feel I lack for anything, but I can understand that other people who want shiny things that "just work" will look to Apple and Android. So for me, I will continue to support and root for the team that is willing to try bold new initiatives.
    12-06-2015 04:33 PM
    You know what I love about my 2 year old Samsung S4? Me neither so I bought the 950XL and it has at least 4 times the battery life, memory to add apps and does everything I need.

I can still throw a 64gb card in the S4 and use it as an MP3 player instead of an overpriced iPod.
    12-06-2015 04:49 PM
    Yea im with you OP, I switched over completely to an iPhone + s at the begining of last week after being with windows phone since 2011. There was plenty of reasons why but its safe to say stuff like constantly rebooting and losing features/beauty each time did me in. And the fact that mircsoft cares more about iOs/android then their own platform.
    12-06-2015 04:55 PM
    I have to admit, I'm coming to a similar view. Like the op, I've championed Windows Phone since day dot. I've had the HTC Trophy, 8X, 920 and now the 1020 as my daily drivers. But with Microsoft abandoning its plans to get Android apps working on Windows Mobile, I just can't justify a Windows Mobile as my next purchase. The app gap is a problem and without plans for android apps, it seems worse than ever.

Lots of the things that have kept me from Android in the past just aren't an issue anymore. The UI is much better than it was and there's still some big UI problems in Windows Mobile.

And despite thinking that the Galaxy line was some of the ugliest phones ever made, the 6 edge is absolutely stunning.

All that said, it'll probably be a few months before I get my next phone, so maybe something will change that will keep me.

I really hope Windows Mobile does improve, and that I will move back. I love live tiles, and I know that I'll miss them.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-06-2015 05:06 PM
    Sharing has come a long way since you had your Venue Pro and Mango. Very easy and usable for a long time now and has stepped up again with Win10M. :-)
    editguy likes this.
    12-06-2015 05:14 PM
    Might sound crazy but I think some people work for Android or Apple. I myself have z3, s6, and my wife has Nexus 6. My daily driver is Lumia 930 since it gets Insider updates and my Lumia 950. I just can't see the appeal to Android or IOS I keep coming back to Windows. Maybe bluestack could make an app to please the Android crowd that complain about everything.
    Yep Windows just has that something...
    12-06-2015 05:37 PM
    The one thing that will keep me is the BT interaction. Android and iOs still don't have it completely and Samsung has gotten rid of it on their latest phones. This video is 3 years old and it has gotten better. I love that I don't ever have to touch my phone while on BT in the car.
    dgr_874, editguy and Steve WWW like this.
    12-06-2015 05:52 PM
    It is too bad that you have been influenced by this post. L950XL is nearing a perfect phablet. Hardwarewise, it is the best Lumia ever. The issue is that W10M is not quite there yet. We knew that Build 10586 was not quite done before L950XL was released. But it was good enough to launch and relying the subsequent updates to finish it up. Because users really don't want to see the release be pushed out to Spring. I fully understand this so I never expect the L950XL to be bug free. After 9 days of heavy use as a daily driver, I can honestly tell you that L950XL is definitely usable. There are some crashes and unexplained reboots. But noting is deal breaker. I'm quite happy with L950XL as is now. The display, camera and Continuum have given me real pleasant surprises. The Continuum experience with a Dock is a real treat that would make L950XL standout among the competitions. Some people are criticizing L950/L950XL hard in order to justify their plarform switching decision they already made. But if you plan to stay with W10M, L950XL is definitely ready for you now. The coming W10M updates will certainly iron out the quirks and become mature over time.
    Well my reason was simple. I bought the phone expecting to move it. I had a horrible experience. I was stuck in a reboot cycle I couldn't stop for an hour or two. It crashed enough to make it unreliable to take phone calls. And it was missing visual voicemail. This dissatisfaction put in light ask of the workarounds I was using to stay with windows mobile and convinced me to try a different phone. Not just the breast Lumia available. As to continuum. I'm still waiting on the display dock to arrive.

Oh, and 5 years of waiting to see a break out year and only seeing the gap get bigger finally broke me.
    12-06-2015 06:09 PM
    You know what, I become MS mobile fan only for 2 months. Then done... Please, the apps gaps is the serious problem!
    12-06-2015 06:16 PM
    The one thing that will keep me is the BT interaction. Android and iOs still don't have it completely and Samsung has gotten rid of it on their latest phones. This video is 3 years old and it has gotten better. I love that I don't ever have to touch my phone while on BT in the car.
    Sigh... This is not safer than texting and driving. Even driving mode on windows phone is there so you can shut down text and phone calls. Maybe other companies are just more responsible. Before you say you're special and do this safely. Just research the actual statistics... Our just going the phrase "hands free texting".
    12-06-2015 06:18 PM
    Guys Windows mobile 10 is ok OS. But i believe Microsoft killing this operation System.
    Sorry BUT nothing special and without apps i believe it's over.
    Shame Microsoft, because this OS is more powerful than android or iOS (but without apps and customization).
    SHAME.
    NOW the option is awful iOS or LAgdroid???? F...k
    12-06-2015 06:33 PM
    Guys Windows mobile 10 is ok OS. But i believe Microsoft killing this operation System.
    Sorry BUT nothing special and without apps i believe it's over.
    Shame Microsoft, because this OS is more powerful than android or iOS (but without apps and customization).
    SHAME.
    NOW the option is awful iOS or LAgdroid???? F...k
    They are not killing Windows 10. And to them the phone is just another Windows 10.
    12-06-2015 06:40 PM
193 ... 5678