My Opinion: The Death of Windows Phone: As a Windows Fan I Don't Need One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Finally. Only reason I even consider android is snap chat, Kroger, publix, Starbucks, American airlines, amazon music, amazon video, yik yak, Lowe's, xfinity/home security, AMC, fxnow, dragon dictation software, medscape, lexicomp, and epic haiku. And basically I can do almost none of what these apps allows on my windows phone and have never been able to, so I'm never really missing anything. Plus I have excel.

What are all these apps for?

Here's what I have on my lumia 1020 with wm10
#1 toolkit
6tag
adobe reader
battery app by Arthur Semenov
Camcard
Camscanner
Excel
Fantasia painter
Here maps - - windows mobile exclusive
Hyperlapse mobile- windows mobile exclusive
Instagram beta
Lumia camera - windows mobile exclusive
Lumia cinemagraph - windows mobile exclusive
Lumia creative studio- windows mobile exclusive
Movie maker
Opera mini
Photosynth- windows mobile exclusive
Picsketch free
Powerpoint
Proshot- windows mobile exclusive
Scientific calculator
Shazam
Star chart
Timelapse pro
Tiny planets pro- windows mobile exclusive
UC browser
Whatsapp
Word

The above apps and wordflow and backup and so many other features are reasons why I'll stay with windows mobile and not move to another platform because they have an app gap

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
If Snapchat is peoples' reason to stay with iOS/Android, I'll choose AoE: Castle Siege. Not on Android, works terribly on iPhones, and it's on all my devices, ready for me to attack! Or see an embarrassing defeat... The app gap only exists depending on what apps you use. Maybe WM users should start claiming the competition has a feature gap, no glance, no continuum, no heavily integrated Cortana, no live tiles, not as secure, no keyboard/mouse support, no cursor on keyboard, etc... I prefer what I have now over what I used to use, thanks.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
If Snapchat is peoples' reason to stay with iOS/Android, I'll choose AoE: Castle Siege. Not on Android, works terribly on iPhones, and it's on all my devices, ready for me to attack! Or see an embarrassing defeat... The app gap only exists depending on what apps you use. Maybe WM users should start claiming the competition has a feature gap, no glance, no continuum, no heavily integrated Cortana, no live tiles, not as secure, no keyboard/mouse support, no cursor on keyboard, etc... I prefer what I have now over what I used to use, thanks.
You sure you willing to give up all those hot groin snaps?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

#1 toolkit
6tag
adobe reader
Camcard
Camscanner
Excel
Fantasia painter
Here maps - - windows mobile exclusive <- Nope, on Android and iOS and by far a better app too
Hyperlapse mobile- windows mobile exclusive <- On Android/iOS
Instagram beta <- The app is ages behind and hasn't left Beta in over a year.
Lumia camera - windows mobile exclusive <- Dead
Lumia cinemagraph - windows mobile exclusive < Dead
Lumia creative studio- windows mobile exclusive <-Dead
Movie maker
Opera mini
Photosynth- windows mobile exclusive <- being retired/dead I don't think it was exclusive either
Picsketch free
Powerpoint
Scientific calculator <- Really?
Shazam
Star chart
Timelapse pro
Tiny planets pro- windows mobile exclusive <nope it's not exclusive
UC browser
Whatsapp
Word

The above apps and wordflow and backup and so many other features are reasons why I'll stay with windows mobile and not move to another platform because they have an app gap

Except for some misinformation I'm glad you're happy with your choice. That's all that matters.

I think there's a misunderstanding in what the OP was getting at. But there's also the misunderstanding of a lot of Windows fans as well. If apps are important to you and the ability of 'choice' of apps is important than WP is not the ecosystem for you. We all know this. What the OP was making a point about is that giving all these apps to competitive ecosystems, making them great, does not entice people over to your platform. Which begs the question as to what does WP have to offer?

I'm not saying W10M is dead and I do hope universal apps help but there's a lot about the Windows ecosystem currently that doesn't make it very appealing for the average user. Not saying it won't get better but with the cancellation of Astoria there is a bit of a worry. From the few iOS devs I've talked to in the past a lot seem to hold contempt for MS most forget WP exists. So not sure relying fully on iOS devs to convert their apps to W10M will be the best way to go.

That's just opinion though.

Last edited:

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE beat me to it, but many of the Windows Phone exclusive apps were written by Nokia. And either they are no longer exclusive (HERE maps), or Microsoft has abandoned them.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Well put and glad to see someone thinking like me

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't care much for this argument, but I'd just like to point out:

no keyboard/mouse support,

Android has had keyboard and mouse support for years, whether you plug a usb mouse directly in, or connect via bluetooth, a mouse cursor appears on the screen as soon as you do. And keyboard? do you really believe Android doesn't support hardware keyboards?

The only thing I frequently plug into my Android phones when I use them is my XBox controller, and that's how I like to play games. I really wish this feature would come to Windows mobile, but there are hardly any controller enabled games for the platform compared to Android's huge catalog.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad the OP is happy with his Galaxy and hope it stays as good as he seems to think it is, but I can think of a reason to stay away from any Android device, even one running Cyanogen: security.

There is a long list of Android security flaws like Stagefright, which have plagued Android and with each one millions of users have been left out in the cold as only those with newer devices are patched to close the loopholes. That and the creeping laginess, which seems to be an accepted fact of life with Android, makes me think that this isn't well written code. It makes me wonder what other nasty surprises are around the corner for its billion plus users. Then of course, there is the issue of how trustworthy you think Google is - Android's biggest security flaw just doesn't seem to be fixable.

Then there is the issue of tomorrow and waiting for decent services. It isn't just a Windows issue, is it? I remember a discussion in these forums where an Android user extolled Lollipop and how it would solve all the problems in Android. A few weeks later, Android users were still complaining of lag and news reports were talking of Lollipop's penetration in the Android sector of about 1.5%. The grass doesn't seem any greener to me and there a triffids hiding in it. :)

I can't honestly say being treated like a second class customer is all that great, so I do think Microsoft need to get their collective finger out and solve some issues they have with their various services - the Onedrive sync client is driving me wild right now - but getting their apps up to speed with iOS/Android equivalents should be priority.

Right now. I'm sitting on enough cash to buy a Lumia 950XL. I'm waiting to see if these heating/battery drain issues manifest themselves, or whether Microsoft/exNokia engineers can weave enough magic to tame the Snapdragon 810, but part of me wonders if an iPhone isn't the way to go. Then again there is Surface or whatever can be done under the auspices of Panos Panay. At least I have options, but Android will never be one of them.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
ProShot is also not a Windows Phone exclusive. I have it on my iPhone 6S Plus and it's amazing...

I'll choose AoE: Castle Siege. Not on Android, works terribly on iPhones, and it's on all my devices, ready for me to attack! Or see an embarrassing defeat....
"Works terribly on iPhones?"

I have AOE:CS on my 1520, as well as my iPhone 6S Plus, my iPad Air 2, and my desktop Windows 10 PC. The game runs perfectly, and exactly the same, both looks wise and performance wise, on both phones. I do prefer it on the iPad though.

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Screw the app gap, I could care less about that. My point is that most of Microsoft's stuff is on Android and iOS and most of the time the experience is better.

I love MS hardware and I think it would be in their best interest to just ship a Surface Phone with Cyanogen and focus on making universal apps for the tablet and PC. The only other solution would be to just ship Surface Phone with the desktop Windows OS. I would be cool with that also.

RhinoFreak

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
What I think is best for Microsoft is to give 100% focus on the software department. Get rid of every. Single. Bug.
Polish the living **** out of this mobile OS, add a plethora of features.
AND, partnership with other companies to make phones with their OS.
Market share will increase and more apps will flow.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I came to a realization that Microsoft is going to be responsible for killing its own product.
Growth for WP wasn't occuring when the core MS services/products didn't exist for iAndroid. That strategy failed. That's why they released EVERYTHING for EVERYWHERE. From a business perspective and as a shareholder myself, I agree, it is the right thing to do. Yeah, WP more-or-less got shafted, but this is more about MS preserving and growing MS, not about being anti-WP. As a WP fan, it sucks, yes, but you have to brake some eggs to make an omelet.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
What I think is best for Microsoft is to give 100% focus on the software department. Get rid of every. Single. Bug.
Polish the living **** out of this mobile OS, add a plethora of features.
AND, partnership with other companies to make phones with their OS.
Market share will increase and more apps will flow.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Apps will anyways flow soon as W10 catches on laptops and PCs

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I wonder what phones the top brass at Microsoft use as their personal devices? Not the ones they show in public, but the phones they use when nobody else is looking at home at night in the bedroom? Seriously, they must see and understand the app gap. Though it does seem these uber-rich executives become so detached from the way most people live that they just can't relate. They never purchase coffee at Starbucks or have to deposit a check at the bank--some minion does it for them.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

#1 toolkit
6tag
adobe reader
Camcard
Camscanner
Excel
Fantasia painter
Here maps - - windows mobile exclusive
Hyperlapse mobile- windows mobile exclusive
Instagram beta
Lumia camera - windows mobile exclusive
Lumia cinemagraph - windows mobile exclusive
Lumia creative studio- windows mobile exclusive
Movie maker
Opera mini
Photosynth- windows mobile exclusive
Picsketch free
Powerpoint
Scientific calculator
Shazam
Star chart
Timelapse pro
Tiny planets pro- windows mobile exclusive
UC browser
Whatsapp
Word

Weird flow is not what it is add cracked up to be. It takes me several edits to fix shredding I suppose. I don't know if the others are better since I never use them. Or keyboard though. And my experience on WM10 is worse with the keyboard than on wm8.

I just left ask the mistakes the keyboard has in the above. Of the apps you have listed above, I used to use photosynth and lumia camera until they were canned. Otherwise, it isn't just what is available, but what is missing.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Drama Queens: Took over Windows Central!
Look man: Get over it: It is just a phone: Nobody cares for what you think: My opinion.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

So my glance never updates correctly. I end up having to turn on the phone, open weather several times a day to make it work on WM10. lived tiles are also less good about updating than they used to. Even the Windows Central app requires multiple logins to clear the unread number for me. And the way they implement them with the backgrounds now makes it hard to see your picture. I really wish they would solve this without me having to spend s bunch of time designing a home screen. I want to see my background and the live tile information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234