My Opinion: The Death of Windows Phone: As a Windows Fan I Don't Need One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I don't like Starbucks coffee and I use the Ally Bank app on my Windows phone, but the app gap is the biggest reason WP is not more popular, and OP pointed out that even when we do have an official Microsoft app the quality is usually better on the other platforms.

wariscoming

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree with the original posters comments. I too have been with Windows Phone since 2011. I couldn't wait anymore...the app gap just grew too large and even more so, the apps that are on Windows Phone are sorely, sorely outdated. I abandoned ship last night and got the Nexus 5X. I'm sorry Windows Phone, please forgive me.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm a hardcore Windows fan. I make my living supporting Windows networks. I can't stand Android and I tolerate iOS. However, the Lumia 950/950 XL put me in a tough spot. My Verizon Lumia 928 was long in the tooth. On top of that I dropped it twice and cracked the screen. It was time for a new phone. My job pays for my mobile phone and it's a Verizon account so I had to hold my nose and get a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+. At least the phone is beautiful as can be.

After coming to grips with the gaudy-as-hell interface and the 3 copies of apps that all do the same damn thing, I quickly realized something: I can do everything I could do on my Windows Phone and more. And no, I'm not talking about capabilities, I'm talking about using core Microsoft services and apps. Here's what I'm talking about:

• I can access my One Notes
  • I can access my Office docs on One Drive
  • I can Skype
  • My pictures automatically sync to my One Drive with no extra configuration that I can remember except installing One Drive
  • Apps as far as the eye can see
  • Glance replaced by the Edge interface

I came to a realization that Microsoft is going to be responsible for killing its own product. A former Windows lifer was forced to go with a competitor and is not missing the experience at all. I must admit that I miss the clean, beautiful interface of WP, but with the app gap gone I can get away with things like not having to print insurance cards and I discovered the beauty of Samsung Pay which I can use at any store. The only big thing missing for me, and its on its way, is Cortana. Once I'm able to sync my reminders to my phone again, my experience will be complete. Right now, Android still has the old Bing widget. Once that's replaced by Cortana, I'll delete the Google widget and replace it with Cortana.

So Windows Phone is basically done from an OS level. However, Microsoft should not abandon the hardware. They should still have a platform that can act as a reference platform for their applications and services. They should still release the Surface Phone...but with one caveat.

Surface Phone should run Cyanogen. Microsoft should just purchase Cyanogen and tweak it to serve as a reference platform for its apps and services. If they want to skin it with the Modern UI that would be even better. The app gap will be instantly eliminated and MS can focus its efforts on supporting a platform neutral mobile payments platform. Because it's clear that no one needs Windows 10 Mobile, not even Windows 10 fans.

I am in the same situation...Work pays for phone (for both work and personal use) and went with a Note 5. Yes, interface is nothing like our beloved Windows Phone but I had to move on, especially when we didn't get the 950 series.

And I used to be one of those who used to tell people to avoid Android like CRACGOR said "But it will have terrible lag, be slow, the apps are terrible, your battery will be terrible, live tiles rule, and google will control your life"
But I am surprised how much this doesn't happen and how I love the Note 5. It was agonizing for the first few weeks because I felt guilty for leaving the Lumia ICON. But I honestly can do more with this phone and there are a lot more "cool" things I can do as well to please my geeky side.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Not all Microsoft services work well on Android, at least not for me. Cortana isn't well integrated and is buggy. Groove looks beta, is slow and just decides to stop playing mid song. Arrow launcher isn't as good as the competition. The is no Edge browser for Android, so if you use a PC and a Android phone you are probably using Chrome. I find Gmail works better on Android than Outlook, which has a problem with not always deleting emails. Yes, Office and OneDrive work but if I really want to take full advantage an Android device I would switch to Google services. Currently I'm switching back and forth between the Note Edge, 950 XL, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Surface Pro 4. I wish I could just settle on one ecosystem, preferably Microsoft services, but too many people are crying disaster for Windows Mobile.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Completely agree with the original posters comments. I too have been with Windows Phone since 2011. I couldn't wait anymore...the app gap just grew too large and even more so, the apps that are on Windows Phone are sorely, sorely outdated. I abandoned ship last night and got the Nexus 5X. I'm sorry Windows Phone, please forgive me.

Yes...just because we leave the platform doesn't mean we are slamming it. It has become about the apps...and I am really having "fun" with Google Cardboard.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Not all Microsoft services work well on Android, at least not for me. Cortana isn't well integrated and is buggy. Groove looks beta, is slow and just decides to stop playing mid song. Arrow launcher isn't as good as the competition. The is no Edge browser for Android, so if you use a PC and a Android phone you are probably using Chrome. I find Gmail works better on Android than Outlook, which has a problem with not always deleting emails. Yes, Office and OneDrive work but if I really want to take full advantage an Android device I would switch to Google services. Currently I'm switching back and forth between the Note Edge, 950 XL, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Surface Pro 4. I wish I could just settle on one ecosystem, preferably Microsoft services, but too many people are crying disaster for Windows Mobile.

Good Post...Yeah, I've sadly uninstalled Cortana and gone full in with Google Now. I didn't have many bugs with it but because I never quite got a good calendar/contact sync using Outlook, I went to stock email for sync contacts and calendar (now Google) and Cortana just doesn't sync with Google Calendar. I LOVED Outlook but just didn't get the full system integration with it.

I use Office on it and rely on OneNote for my IT notes, but since we got an Amazon Echo, been using Alexa for our family to-do and grocery list. Love it!

Groove...oh how I loved thee...on WINDOWS PHONE. On Android, it just feels orphaned and incomplete. I slowly moving over to Google Music or Amazon Music. Google Music has much larger "streaming" catalog over PRIME Music but I do like using Alexa for Prime Music.

I do wish I could stay in Microsoft Services but there is so much else out there and currently trying to grow with it and settle with what works the most.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The above apps and wordflow and backup and so many other features are reasons why I'll stay with windows mobile and not move to another platform because they have an app gap
The "app gap" is the least of our worries. It's the "OS gap" that bothers me because It'll be abandoned by MS in 2 years.

Not the end of the world I suppose. Like the OP says... all of MS's apps are on other platforms and they'll continue to flourish.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad the OP is happy with his Galaxy and hope it stays as good as he seems to think it is, but I can think of a reason to stay away from any Android device, even one running Cyanogen: security.

There is a long list of Android security flaws like Stagefright, which have plagued Android and with each one millions of users have been left out in the cold as only those with newer devices are patched to close the loopholes. That and the creeping laginess, which seems to be an accepted fact of life with Android, makes me think that this isn't well written code. It makes me wonder what other nasty surprises are around the corner for its billion plus users. Then of course, there is the issue of how trustworthy you think Google is - Android's biggest security flaw just doesn't seem to be fixable.

Then there is the issue of tomorrow and waiting for decent services. It isn't just a Windows issue, is it? I remember a discussion in these forums where an Android user extolled Lollipop and how it would solve all the problems in Android. A few weeks later, Android users were still complaining of lag and news reports were talking of Lollipop's penetration in the Android sector of about 1.5%. The grass doesn't seem any greener to me and there a triffids hiding in it. :)

I can't honestly say being treated like a second class customer is all that great, so I do think Microsoft need to get their collective finger out and solve some issues they have with their various services - the Onedrive sync client is driving me wild right now - but getting their apps up to speed with iOS/Android equivalents should be priority.

Right now. I'm sitting on enough cash to buy a Lumia 950XL. I'm waiting to see if these heating/battery drain issues manifest themselves, or whether Microsoft/exNokia engineers can weave enough magic to tame the Snapdragon 810, but part of me wonders if an iPhone isn't the way to go. Then again there is Surface or whatever can be done under the auspices of Panos Panay. At least I have options, but Android will never be one of them.

Honestly I've played some hours of games on that thing sometimes with the cable plugged in charging and it does get slightly warm but never hot. It actually spreads the heat very well so you get this nice warm feeling instead of a hot spot. It's not that noticeable without the charger. I mean I have felt it warm no doubt but not enough to notice and record what I was actually doing at the time. And the battery charging seems to be the only one I can think of right now where it gets warmer than I'm used to at least. I'll try to pay more attention now hehe.

And yah it sucks that android supports xbox one controller and windows 10 mobile doesn't. They probably need to rewrite the drivers from scratch for the arm platform. What I like about them bringing windows 10 to desktop is that unified games will likely be built around xbox as a first priority so gamepad support will be built in by default. This of course requires that developers start taking advantage of the universal platform.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ProShot is available for Android as well.
41e454e27f3b42b4b3391826e2c73ee5.jpg

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
ProShot is also not a Windows Phone exclusive. I have it on my iPhone 6S Plus and it's amazing...

"Works terribly on iPhones?"

I have AOE:CS on my 1520, as well as my iPhone 6S Plus, my iPad Air 2, and my desktop Windows 10 PC. The game runs perfectly, and exactly the same, both looks wise and performance wise, on both phones. I do prefer it on the iPad though.

I prefer using continuum on my tv. Oh wait, AOE:CS isn't universal.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
But it will have terrible lag, be slow, the apps are terrible, your battery will be terrible, live tiles rule, and google will control your life...are all things you can expect to hear.
I have a Galaxy S6 edge and let me say something, The battery life is absolutely terrible, touchwiz is absolutely terrible, the phone slows down very quickly, way to much bloat that you can not uninstall, edge screen is very gimmicky( I don't use it as its kind of pointless). The design of the phone looked cool when I first purchased but now is a pain in the *** with constant glare no matter how you look at the screen. Now apps, yes android has many apps but most of them run like crap. So I use my 950XL as my daily driver, and as it dual sim I have my business and personal mobile in one phone. I absolutely hate android its terrible compared to Windows 10 Mobile, maybe the will change with android 6 when its released by Samsung but they will probably **** it up with touchwiz. No I will not root a phone just to make it run as a flagship phone should run.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Get Cortana Beta! Can replace Google Now as the home assistant.

I've been wanting Microsoft to ditch WP but keep WinRT. Imagine Microsoft had their own store (Like Amazon) on Android. Android and Windows developers can have their apps in the store, and Microsoft can provide incentive by decreasing rates.

Now, assuming Microsoft wins over companies like Samsung and LG, Microsoft would have effectively stolen Android from Google! Microsoft Store, Outlook, Office, Groove, etc...

Seriously, how isn't this a good idea? XD

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
No.

Microsoft should, and will, stick with the Windows OS on phones... or just get out of the phone hardware business completely.

Why produce hardware that doesn't run Windows when they could, and are, achieving the same results on iOS & Android devices with Microsoft apps? It makes zero sense.

Its about owning the platform. When did BBM become cross platform? ;)))

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
So my glance never updates correctly. I end up having to turn on the phone, open weather several times a day to make it work on WM10. lived tiles are also less good about updating than they used to. Even the Windows Central app requires multiple logins to clear the unread number for me. And the way they implement them with the backgrounds now makes it hard to see your picture. I really wish they would solve this without me having to spend s bunch of time designing a home screen. I want to see my background and the live tile information.
Then move on to another phone and OS and quit posting your garbage here. I can't take you seriously because everything you say about WP is negative. And it's clear that's why you're here. You just want a forum for bashing WP. The internet is loaded with them. I came here to get away from that garbage.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I actually almost left Windows Phone for some of the same reasons as the op. I only decided to stay because of the promise of Windows 10. I would hate to jump ship right when things are at least moving in a new direction. I am not opposed to Microsoft services on other platforms but I would like to see them have exclusive features for Windows Phone. Get them hooked on Android and IOS and then lure them in with exclusives.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
You sure you willing to give up all those hot groin snaps?

I was willing, can't speak for everyone though...

"Works terribly on iPhones?"

I have AOE:CS on my 1520, as well as my iPhone 6S Plus, my iPad Air 2, and my desktop Windows 10 PC. The game runs perfectly, and exactly the same, both looks wise and performance wise, on both phones. I do prefer it on the iPad though.

Yeah, it works terribly...

A few iPhone-owning friends gave it a shot and gave up on it because it keeps saying it lost connection to the server, or checksum error, or unresponsive troops. So they gave it up and went back to Clash of Clans. I agree that the experience is much better on a bigger screen!

jhmoxl

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Growth for WP wasn't occuring when the core MS services/products didn't exist for iAndroid. That strategy failed. That's why they released EVERYTHING for EVERYWHERE. From a business perspective and as a shareholder myself, I agree, it is the right thing to do. Yeah, WP more-or-less got shafted, but this is more about MS preserving and growing MS, not about being anti-WP. As a WP fan, it sucks, yes, but you have to brake some eggs to make an omelet.

Agree with you on the need for MS to port to other platforms. But Outlook/Office on IOS/Android shouldn't be clearly superior to what is on windows phone/mobile.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
But it will have terrible lag, be slow, the apps are terrible, your battery will be terrible, live tiles rule, and google will control your life...are all things you can expect to hear.

Ya know, I have been around here for a while, a Windows Phone like the OP, I make my living off supporting Microsoft stuff, servers, computers, etc. As I am a HUGE Windows Phone fan... I always followed the group here (instead of a iSheep, a Microsheep ?), and claimed Android was a laggy mess as other people keep saying.

When it comes down to it, I picked up a LG G3 for almost nothing. I did a test and used it for over a week, taking my ICON and just leaving it on a charger.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/android/385134-my-one-week-android-project.html

I was EXEPECTING a laggy mess and performance that sucked completely. You know what ? I noticed no major lag over the week, performance was over all pretty good, Battery life was what I expected in 8.1, about a day and ad the end maybe 25-40% left. But you know what the ONE thing I did notice ?

Apps, OMG apps, Bank of America ? Got it, NATIVE Pebble support ? Got it, How about Dish Network's sling app ? GOT IT, How about the newest games ? Yep ! How about my Local Radio and TV stations ? Yep, Got it. Tap to pay ? Yep they are there too. Microsoft apps ? Oh yea, they are there too, even Outlook is there.

Yea, the OS, not too crazy about it. Android is a mess... so I was going to sell my LG G3 in white but, I still have it because I am on the fence. I love Windows Phone, the OS is smooth, easy to use, live tiles ROCK. Windows Phone 10, on the other hand, looks good but, still is very buggy but, 8.1 is solid as a rock. The lack of apps are the biggest problem, The OS can only go so far, in a app controlled world that we are in, no matter how you look at it, it is a MAJOR problem.

I'm just lost now....Do I stay with Windows Phone, that the lack of apps are causing me issues.... Issues you say ? How about Bank of America app ? When we had it, I used to be able to deposit checks with the SWEET camera on my ICON, then it got pulled, so If I get a check, I need to drive about 10 miles (nearest BOA) to deposit the check. Tap to Pay was sweet when we had it, It was so easy, just slide out my phone, open a app, and tap to pay, cant do that any more because I have a Windows Phone... Or do I move on...

As a Microsoft person who has used HPCS, PocketPC, WIndows Mobile devices from 1.0 (PDAs then Smartphones)to 4 Windows Phone devices...I just don't know what to do now...

Maybe I should not of given Android a shot in the first place....The OS sucks but, the apps are beyond wonderful and I cant see Windows Phone ever getting to the level of Android or iOS.

Like a lot of things Microsoft does, a day late and a dollar short.... If Windows Phone came out right after the iPhone before Android, we would be right where we want to be with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077