My Opinion: The Death of Windows Phone: As a Windows Fan I Don't Need One

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldAndBusted

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
"I miss the clean, beautiful interface of WP" For me, there's no such thing. Windows Phone is not attractive. Especially the Start screen. It is really just two-bag coyote ugly. I personally believe it's THE major factor why Windows Phone never took off.

That said, I still want it to succeed. I want that third OS. I'm tired of iOS and don't care for Google's business model.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes I already know they are cross platform :))
When (As in what did it take for) did BBM become cross platform? I apologize for the ambiguity
BBM would've gone cross-platform sooner if Jim Balsillie had his way. He wanted to do that when he was still one of the co-CEOs. I read that in "Losing the Signal", the book about BlackBerry. It didn't happen until Balsillie and Lazaridis were forced out. As for dates, it happened in September 2013 for Android and iOS. Windows Phone got BBM in 2014. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Messenger

Last edited:

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So Windows Phone is basically done from an OS level. However, Microsoft should not abandon the hardware. They should still have a platform that can act as a reference platform for their applications and services. They should still release the Surface Phone...but with one caveat.

WP8.1 is done but W10M is just starting. WP8.1 is just another standalone handsets with WP8.1 OS that is not even compatible with W7. W10M however will grow along with W10 ecosystem and UWP. W10M will have strong showing in the enterprises as demonstrated in UK (28%) and France (25%). App gap is much less an issue in the business and enterprise sectors. The security, management, intelligent Cloud and one-stop shop tech support mean substantial cost savings for the enterprises. W10M will be even more attractive to them with the new enterprise features W10 provides. The explosive growth of W10 will drive the growth of UW apps which will certainly benefit the W10M phones over time. W10M will grow with W10 in harmony. It can't die even it wants to. WP is certainly NOT done even you are done with it.

You will miss a few things when you leave:

1. If you are a W10 user, you would certainly miss the full synchronization, integration and unification with W10.
2. The most efficient and productive Live Tiles UI which is completely customizable.
3. The fantastic experience with the innovative Continuum.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Except for some of us Windows 10 Mobile is utter garbage compared to WP8. The direction Satya Nadella and his cronies are taking it is NOT where we wanted to go when we jumped on this bandwagon. It's not us who gave up. It's Microsoft.

Ben Wolgus

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Android is not a cure all. HTC, Sony, and LG are all failing to gain traction with Android. It's really Samsung made a beautiful phone over the operating system. Samsung is the real star, not android.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Android is not a cure all. HTC, Sony, and LG are all failing to gain traction with Android. It's really Samsung made a beautiful phone over the operating system. Samsung is the real star, not android.

Samsung just took advantage of Apple's stupidity (not making larger phones) and marketed well.

Ruster Kat

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
This post is really helpful to me right now. I'm still using my 920 and I really, really wanted to get a 950 or XL... but the reports of all the bugs and issues with W10m vs 8.1 has me back up on the fence. I'm so sick of waiting. I don't care at all for iOS, but realistically, for what I use my phone for it seems I could be more 'productive like a Boss' with an iPhone and banking apps, etc. than I can with a 950XL on W10m. Maybe I'll wait until after Xmas and see if things improve... I don't know. Sick of waiting. Sick sick sick of it. I don't think I can stick with WP just for the OS any longer...

Herb, someone above dealt with the camera on Android side. I'll address iPhone from my experience. I'm a long-time Microsoft "fan" and shareholder, and a software developer. I don't like Mac or Google, and own nothing but Windows machines (currently, Dell XPS desktop, Acer laptop, Dell Venue Pro 8 -- still a great little tablet -- and Surface Pro 3). I had Windows Phones (owned and loved the MotoQ and HTC Touch when they were released) until late 2010. Since then, iPhone 4 for four years and iPhone 6 for one year.

Especially with Nadella (wisely) putting Microsoft services and software everywhere, I can't think of a single reason to stay with Windows Phone right now, alas. The iPhone 6 is better on every count, and it kills me to say that. The build quality, the outstanding operating system, the availability of apps, and the excellent camera. (I am not a photographer enthusiast, I just use auto mode, but the photos are always great). I'm neither a gamer nor a social app user; the iPhone is just an outstanding device, and a very serious productivity tool.

I keep a 635 around both for development and to keep up with the Windows Mobile insider builds (disappointing quality and fit-and-finish, so far), and to occasionally play around with. I develop Windows Phone apps and have played around a bit with the UWP, which is a delight to code against. The phone is AT&T, which I'm no longer on, so I can't use it as a SIM-swap backup device, but would if I could. There is nothing that it does as well as the iPhone (again, I hate to admit that).

What I would recommend is to get the iPhone 6s for your carrier from the Apple store. I'm pretty sure there is a 30-day return policy, and you probably won't have an activation fee. Try it out for a few weeks. If you really miss your Windows Phone, you can go back at zero (or close to) cost.

On the topic of the state of Windows Phone/Mobile, it's very clear that the division has been poorly managed for many years, all the way up to the top. I think Nadella is doing the right thing for the company, and he's been very clear about what he's doing. Windows Mobile is in (yet another) transitional phase. Things are a bit bumpy right now. If Microsoft can ship a great piece of hardware in 12-18 months (and Panos' team seems like the right group to do this), and somehow address the horrendous app gap issue (whether UWP or bridges or something else), I would love to go back to Windows Phone then.

At this specific point in time, though, you really should give the iPhone a try. It's just so much better right now.

scanper

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I have had a similar experience.

I moved to iPhone a few months ago because of my job. The iPhone irritates me in a few places (the long list of apps on the start screen that absolutely must be left/top justified, the lack of useful info on the start screen, the crappy keyboards, etc). However, that is compensated for by a massive list of fully functional apps including all my MS Apps. OneNote is fine, OneDrive is fine, Office is there, Xbox is there (but i dont use it). The hardware is very nice. I was tempted by the idea of continuum, but my company has gone O365 so I can get my work email on just about any device.

Combine that with my dislike of the new lumias (I loved that design 4 years ago, but its been around for a long time and been cost optimised to hell) and a dislike of a lot of the changes in Win10 mobile and I find myself as increasingly happy iPhone user. I have no great love for the product, but it is a well functioning tool.

For MS to get me back to consider Windows phone they would need to create some really excellent hardware and solve the app problem. For me to buy they would also need to offer something compelling with SW and services on top of that. Somehow I dont see that happening as the MS apps and services are targetted cross platform, with the only limitation being what the iOS and Android SDKs allow.

Diego De Mauro

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I have my lumia "630" and I also dropped it not twice but thrice... for almost 6 ft. high and it fell off on a rock... But the screen is still totally fine! What's wrong with your phone?

Last edited:

dodi779

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm here since WP 6.2, I don't even know how long that is... feels like ages. I think what the most of us, real fans would like to see, is to finally kick android and ios out of the game. has not happened again (feel a bit of shame).really love the interface here on WP, love my windows on my PC, even more I do love my Xbox One.

I'm not commenting a lot, but I need to write this down now :) couple of points and my, short opinion.
1. for a surface phone it is simply not the right time, WP, our OS is still struggling
2. app gap..... I don't care about Facebook, don't even know what's snapchat :) i don't care.. but I do know that whatever accessory I'm looking at on the net, it always says android and ios. getting tired of this, for real... i can't get anything, because my phone is not supporting anything :) oh-oh....
3. i think i get myself the new lumia, but my stomach says, something is not ok. the phone looks ugly, wp10 is not ready, app gap still there.

this company has more money then any other in the world in this business, I'm pretty sure they invest more than any competitor. they will get it done properly, they just need more time.

still... if they don't get it done within the next 1-2 years. i will think about to sell everything, my windows pc with my xbox one and whatever wp phone...

the new lumias are cool, but holy sh^%t is that ugly! :D I will get one anyway, but let's face the truth. ugliest phone in 2015.

keep up the good work Microsoft, I still have faith in you, but that won't last forever.
i can feel the people, who are not willing to wait further, i dont care about the cam... im not a photographer... if they would have a phone without a cam, im the first buyer!

think i could sit here and write for hours :) the whole new tech war, phones, phablets, smart tvs, smart everything.... it is a huge and complex thing, and we want them all working together, but you need to think about it again, this whole era has only started a couple of years ago. think in 10-20 years things will finally work, at least standard things. one day i hope to have one device that can do work with everything, it doesnt have to be in a form of a phone... im ok with a microchip in the back of my head as well :D but it has to come. its not ok that im the fan of a brand or device, the brand or device should be my fan. they should support me, simple as that.

nice day to everyone!

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 is done but W10M is just starting. WP8.1 is just another standalone handsets with WP8.1 OS that is not even compatible with W7. W10M however will grow along with W10 ecosystem and UWP. W10M will have strong showing in the enterprises as demonstrated in UK (28%) and France (25%). App gap is much less an issue in the business and enterprise sectors.

Certainly not true in my case. Spiceworks, Connectwise, LogmeIn are all apps I NEED to do my job in IT. If Snapchat came to WP tomorrow it wouldn't help me get off IOS and back to WP. But that's just me, YMMV.

Chad Welsh

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I am sure most adults would agree that SnapChat is a app for the adolescent minded whether used by young or old.

I don't think my wife's iPhone battery is any worse than any I have on windows phone. She may use it more since switching on a consistent basis, but she does not have to charge it during the day.

I think calling SnapChat an app for teenagers shows how out of touch people are. All age groups use it. I don't understand it anymore than I understand why instagram, vine, or twitter took off, but it has.

Worldwide...no time to look up country by country.

IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Except for some of us Windows 10 Mobile is utter garbage compared to WP8. The direction Satya Nadella and his cronies are taking it is NOT where we wanted to go when we jumped on this bandwagon. It's not us who gave up. It's Microsoft.

I too have the same feeling. Its microsoft who gave up on us.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Certainly not true in my case. Spiceworks, Connectwise, LogmeIn are all apps I NEED to do my job in IT. If Snapchat came to WP tomorrow it wouldn't help me get off IOS and back to WP. But that's just me, YMMV.
"Try new apps. Try something new."
Maybe, try some new apps. It's a good idea to check out new apps, even if you don't change phones.

t8ntlikly

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Windows circa Windows 1, and you can make that a +1 I too after suffering through the fact that on Verizon there won't be a new phone coming from Redmond, and other problems, I just don't need the grievance. I don't need that many apps, so that is not the problem. The problem is inconsistency. Outlook.com, no groups? Windows phone and Windows 10 Mobile people groups... Limit 25? WTH? And those groups don't show up in Outlook, or Outlook.com because of the Exchange Active Sync..... Just sayin..It's the little things that Microsoft is taking away from the consumer, the average Joe, that eventually MAY lead to the phones demise....

Rishabh Shukla

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, No one needs Windows 10 Mobile, not even Windows 10 fans at least for this year.
I think I was the blind supporter for Windows phone (Lumia) till now but now even I am thinking about some replacement for my Lumia 830 within 5-6 Month. It`s good phone but market has already plenty of better and smarter phone than this. Here are some points which I have in my mind:
1. Why Microsoft is selling 950 XL on $740 in INDIA?? Especially when they have a not so good design with just one feature (Continuum) to compare.
2. No Need to mention for so called App-Gap.
3. They had so many better Lumias lineup but production/development has been cancelled especially when they can not deliver a perfect
4. Lumia/Windows Phone.... Why?
5. Even due to compatibility issue (As developer says) we are not getting many functions as compare to iOS or Android guys.
6. May be I`m jealous with android users because they have so many options with almost everything including Hardware and Software :eck: and may be my next phone could be an Android phone, here is one thing I don`t get it why Microsoft always sell their mid-range phones with the price of High-end phones. :angry:
7. No Doubt Microsoft Phone has a great Hardware but why just Hardware not software??? Experiences of Microsoft Apps are much better on other platforms than Windows Phone.
8. The worst part is that like any other companies even if Microsoft is releasing any new software, it releases first on Android and iOS and here users of Windows phone have to wait for few weeks/month. :angry:
9. Eagerly waiting for NOKIA`s comeback in 2017 it seems NOKIA can do a lot better in this case.
Anyway Thanks Arsynic for pointing it again.
I can Only hope for the best :asleep:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had a similar experience.

I moved to iPhone a few months ago because of my job. The iPhone irritates me in a few places (the long list of apps on the start screen that absolutely must be left/top justified, the lack of useful info on the start screen, the crappy keyboards, etc). However, that is compensated for by a massive list of fully functional apps including all my MS Apps. OneNote is fine, OneDrive is fine, Office is there, Xbox is there (but i dont use it). The hardware is very nice. I was tempted by the idea of continuum, but my company has gone O365 so I can get my work email on just about any device.

Combine that with my dislike of the new lumias (I loved that design 4 years ago, but its been around for a long time and been cost optimised to hell) and a dislike of a lot of the changes in Win10 mobile and I find myself as increasingly happy iPhone user. I have no great love for the product, but it is a well functioning tool.

For MS to get me back to consider Windows phone they would need to create some really excellent hardware and solve the app problem. For me to buy they would also need to offer something compelling with SW and services on top of that. Somehow I dont see that happening as the MS apps and services are targetted cross platform, with the only limitation being what the iOS and Android SDKs allow.

And as compelling as continuum is, it is really not that much harder to carry around a computer stick than it is the docking station. Continuum is awesome, but if miracast worked without the delay, it would be a true game changer. Whenever I cast something, it is really only useful for watching video, since the delay is only noticed when you try to interact -- move a mouse cursor, type, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss