My Opinion: The Death of Windows Phone: As a Windows Fan I Don't Need One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
....I came to a realization that Microsoft is going to be responsible for killing its own product. A former Windows lifer was forced to go with a competitor and is not missing the experience at all. I must admit that I miss the clean, beautiful interface of WP, but with the app gap gone I can get away with things like not having to print insurance cards and I discovered the beauty of Samsung Pay which I can use at any store. The only big thing missing for me, and its on its way, is Cortana. Once I'm able to sync my reminders to my phone again, my experience will be complete. Right now, Android still has the old Bing widget. Once that's replaced by Cortana, I'll delete the Google widget and replace it with Cortana.

So Windows Phone is basically done from an OS level. However, Microsoft should not abandon the hardware. They should still have a platform that can act as a reference platform for their applications and services. They should still release the Surface Phone...but with one caveat.
It's called hedging your bets. Yes, it makes the Windows OS less important for running Windows services, but they had no choice. The odds of Windows Mobile surviving, as a standalone platform, was rapidly approaching zero. If they didn't do this, they risked losing the entire Windows service (not just the phone) in less than 10 years. This was the best of the worst paths to take. At least they can save the Windows services and live to fight another day.

Said another way; Yes, Windows Mobile is effectively dead because of their latest actions. But it was already a dead man walking. This action, in itself, didn't kill it. This action is smart and may very well resurrect it as a key player in the future.

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
And too many people are comparing low end or mid to Android and Apple flagships like S6, Nexus, iPhone etc.. No **** Sherlock.. ;) :)

Just meant to say, even on my 1520 I would have to see the resuming screen when switching apps and that loading webpages doesn't work correctly so that often I have to just get on a computer (windows central and att to name two). I think it is unfair to say how everything is smooth in windows phone on low power processors. It may lag just as much on every OS and mobile web browsers may all suck, but I like many don't know because i made the switch 5 years ago and never looked back. That was my point.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Just meant to say, even on my 1520 I would have to see the resuming screen when switching apps and that loading webpages doesn't work correctly so that often I have to just get on a computer (windows central and att to name two). I think it is unfair to say how everything is smooth in windows phone on low power processors. It may lag just as much on every OS and mobile web browsers may all suck, but I like many don't know because i made the switch 5 years ago and never looked back. That was my point.

I know.. the problem is still in the apps not being well made. I noticed that when I met some new apps that are only for W10M or are Universal, where they had no resuming screen and were fast to load in the first place.

That of course doesn't help the OS to be any smoother if the majority of the apps are still not updated for for W10, which makes the whole Platform suffer..

I play with Android and iOS on daily basis and I don't know what to say.. There are problems on every OS.. I'd still probably go for Android if I needed apps that much. Chrome is just fine and I think Edge is catching up with every update.
I still think Windows is more simple for casual use. The problem occurs when a specific app is missing some feature that is present on Android or iOS.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
And guess which apps drives me crazy on WM10.. Messenger - stuck on 8.1 missing features, Skype 8.1 missing features, Viber 8.1 missing features, Windows Central 8.1 extra slow with bugs and crashes.. When will we enjoy new Universal apps? No one knows. New Skype in messaging app.. Missing features... Can't join a call, cant share files, photos not supported.. This is why I want Android..

mohit9206

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Its true Android can do everything WP can and much more. But i still bought my first Windows phone in 2013 because i like Nokia and i liked the unbeatable specs and features for the price Lumia 520 provided. It simply had no competition.
Now look at the mess that is Windows phone. Not one device has any standout feature. Lumia 430 and 435 are worse than the 2 year old Lumia 520. MS is putting exactly zero effort in making people want to buy Windows phone whether it be due to hardware or software.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site

I wasn't pointing you out - just in case :). It's just something popular people do on Windows Central.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Arsenic.... you are leaving a whole lot out though.
First of all, there only so much hardware you can throw at a bad OS before you have to give up on it and THAT is definitely Android. If it weren't for CPUs as fast as desktops and now almost 4 GB of ram.... Android would be hobbling along a feebly as Windows.
Also, its a security nightmare. The OS, the apps, even their play store is a mess. Now obviously no one is immune to hacking, but man.... why make it so easy? As a network admin you must know that the first rule of security is.... if no one knows where you are.... now obviously anonymity is in NO way security but... its an obvious step.
Microsoft is attempting to break into the mobile market ANY WAY IT CAN. They were the leaders in the space and are now suffering for resting on their laurels. They are making amazing gains in the cloud but their physical space is sorely lacking.
They can build apps for as may OS's as they want... and that may be smart seeing as how they have to keep their name on peoples mouths but.... unless they get the apps.... they might as well bring back windows mobile or buy Palm OS because it makes no matter.
Im a app dev manager, built windows services and .net apps for 15 years now. Had a Surface Pro 3, Lumia * (all of them) and umpteen tablets.... and now Im on a Macbook Pro/iPhone 6/iPad mini.... simply because .... the apps. As sad as that is.

Pastor0fMuppets

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Might've been said here before (I'm not reading through six+ pages to find out), but Cortana is already live on Android. I made the switch too, despite being with AT&T and having the 950 option, and went with the Edge +. After two plus years of hassling with Windows phones (950, 1520), I decided that having to deal with a Beta OS even on a "production ready" phone was just not worth it, especially given the Fintstones looking plastic beast they released as their flagship.

I quickly realized the main reasons for going Windows Phone to begin with, were no longer factors. Every Office app I need is on Android, as well as Xbox One Smartglass, OneDrive, OneNote, etc. as you had mentioned. I got a bug up my rear one day when reading about Cortana coming for Android so I Googled it, and found there was a "beta" program. The links in the Google Play store are broken, but with persistence I was able to find a link on Microsoft's own website with a link I emailed myself (to Outlook, on my Edge), and was able to install it. It has every piece of functionality it she had on my Windows phone. No need to "backup, restore, update OS, backup, replace all of my tiles, backup et. al" every month any more, just to figure out the one thing an update claimed to fix had broken two other things, or caused apps I had long since uninstalled to reappear and hang in the MS Store for all eternity.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure? I've been playing the same game; my same level 8 Keep on all my devices, Windows and Apple. Picks right up where I left off on the last device used.

So you haven't actually tried it yourself... but are just going by what your friends said?

I've never had any of those issues on either my 1520, my iPhone, my iPad, or my Win10 desktop. The game has always run perfectly on every device I've played it on.

Your friends probably didn't have their Microsoft/Xbox account set up correctly or something.

And you don't have to give up one to play another you know... I play Clash of Clans as well on my iOS devices.

Oh it keeps your data sync'ed between devices. And I play on desktop and mobile. And I'm sure it's still windows 8.1 universal, probably won't change till the update process goes through officially. The one on my phone does not support continuum. A true universal win 10 app should support it.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just because you decide to move on ... that does not mean the windows mobile platform is dead. There are still plenty of us out there that do not use windows mobile just for apps. Yeah I'm disappointed with the release of 950/950XL, but I'm still rocking on my Lumia 920 with latest windows 10 mobile. It still serves me with all my needs. I believe MS is heading to the correct direction now with windows 10 mobile.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
And guess which apps drives me crazy on WM10.. Messenger - stuck on 8.1 missing features, Skype 8.1 missing features, Viber 8.1 missing features, Windows Central 8.1 extra slow with bugs and crashes.. When will we enjoy new Universal apps? No one knows. New Skype in messaging app.. Missing features... Can't join a call, cant share files, photos not supported.. This is why I want Android..

I'm trying the v10 as soon as I can get it this week. Even though it has no wireless charging you can add it for $6. Even comes with extra battery and 64gb sd card until the 20th. If I don't like it, then I will try the nexus 6p, then maybe the note 5, but if I like none of those I will have to go apple...though I am more biased against them.

I know in theory android is less secure than the others, but a lot of these arguments are what mac users used to say about pcs. Pcs are slow, they have instability and blue screen, they are insecure and get viruses, they have features you don't need. Meanwhile Macs are rock solid and have less choice but everything just works. Back then I went windows/linux for versatility. I settled on windows because of ease and availability of mainstream software. I feel like this is pretty much exactly like that. The good news is Macs are on the rise thanks to the iPhone and iPod. Maybe if Microsoft invents some new products everyone needs like robot hands then they will bring windows phone out of the ashes. Until then...

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying the v10 as soon as I can get it this week. Even though it has no wireless charging you can add it for $6. Even comes with extra battery and 64gb sd card until the 20th. If I don't like it, then I will try the nexus 6p, then maybe the note 5, but if I like none of those I will have to go apple...though I am more biased against them.

I know in theory android is less secure than the others, but a lot of these arguments are what mac users used to say about pcs. Pcs are slow, they have instability and blue screen, they are insecure and get viruses, they have features you don't need. Meanwhile Macs are rock solid and have less choice but everything just works. Back then I went windows/linux for versatility. I settled on windows because of ease and availability of mainstream software. I feel like this is pretty much exactly like that. The good news is Macs are on the rise thanks to the iPhone and iPod. Maybe if Microsoft invents some new products everyone needs like robot hands then they will bring windows phone out of the ashes. Until then...
I hope you like V10 :)

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
My Opinion - Windows Central user Complain too much when 950 & 950xl + Win10 Mobile = Great

Being honest why do so many people whine about everything? Windows 8.1 was better than 10 mobile, that is under crap you couldn?t even have a background image now you have the choice for both. Glance screen back, SD card, wireless charging, removable battery, top notch camera. The list goes on and there are bugs, but Windows has actually upgraded more phones to windows 10 mobile than Marshmallow. They don?t need Android what they need is for people to give suggestion not say it?s dead. Windows 10 mobile based on Feedback from users and you all still complain. Honestly feels like some people are moles planted to try to take windows down. My opinion. The surface phone will happen, but I believe it?s going to be based off feedback from suggestions. Microsoft is too big to let Android run them. You want YouTube they could make their own with the money they have. Sorry for the rant. Plus I feel like people want everything cheap yet Iphone lower specs sells hand over foot for being so overprice. Seems like cheap people complaining about what they can't afford. Loving my 950!

Why is my post deleted for telling the truth?

Silent Patriot

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I gave up on WM/WP back with the Dell Venue Pro. Was pretty excited to get Mango on it, but the workaround to tether with it was pretty harsh. Does WP 10 allow a more seamless Network Adapter management style, like simply being able to share out the connection as you can with full Windows 10?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Opinion - Windows Central user Complain too much when 950 & 950xl + Win10 Mobile = Great

Well it's been awhile since I've seen a "positive rant"

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I gave up on WM/WP back with the Dell Venue Pro. Was pretty excited to get Mango on it, but the workaround to tether with it was pretty harsh. Does WP 10 allow a more seamless Network Adapter management style, like simply being able to share out the connection as you can with full Windows 10?
Yes, WP8.x and W10M both offer Wifi Hotspot functionality. It's pretty easy to set up and connect to.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: My Opinion - Windows Central user Complain too much when 950 & 950xl + Win10 Mobile = Great

Simply because people like to whine. :)

I much prefer W10M to 8.1 on my Lumia 925 and I may very well upgrade to a 950 when the time comes, but if I was to post a thread saying that it would sink without trace, as opposed to the naysayers (and I suspect more than a few trolls) who predict doom and gloom.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
It has to do with technology allowing us to communicate across the world for free. We have access to the internet, and a voice now. It is phenomenal how much our voice can be heard now, and some people love the sound of their voice. Haha. It happens to athletes. They are stronger, faster, and a lot more talented than ever before, but are also the most criticized in history. Companies, such as MS, and athletes just have to learn to only pay attention to comments that come from smart people...the ones that provide constructive criticism to help them improve.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
It is too bad that you have been influenced by this post. L950XL is nearing a perfect phablet. Hardwarewise, it is the best Lumia ever. The issue is that W10M is not quite there yet. We knew that Build 10586 was not quite done before L950XL was released. But it was good enough to launch and relying the subsequent updates to finish it up. Because users really don't want to see the release be pushed out to Spring. I fully understand this so I never expect the L950XL to be bug free. After 9 days of heavy use as a daily driver, I can honestly tell you that L950XL is definitely usable. There are some crashes and unexplained reboots. But noting is deal breaker. I'm quite happy with L950XL as is now. The display, camera and Continuum have given me real pleasant surprises. The Continuum experience with a Dock is a real treat that would make L950XL standout among the competitions. Some people are criticizing L950/L950XL hard in order to justify their plarform switching decision they already made. But if you plan to stay with W10M, L950XL is definitely ready for you now. The coming W10M updates will certainly iron out the quirks and become mature over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett