Windows 10 Mobile version 1511 10.0.10586.29 made me a believer

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm still rocking Windows Phone 8.1 on my HTC One M8. I was wary of installing Windows 10 Mobile due to it's beta-like status.

However, I recently installed Windows 10 Mobile version 1511 10.0.10586.29 on a Lumia 640 as a Christmas gift for a friend who's Lumia 735 was starting to fail (she's dropped it so many times and is pretty abusive of phones).

And this version is NICE! It definitely can be a daily driver, and I'm surprised how well it runs on the 640. It's nearly the same hardware as the 735 in terms of CPU/GPU but it runs smoother on 10 than 8.1 ran on her 735.

I was pretty happy with 8.1 on my HTC. Some flaws here and there but it was a great phone for me.

But 10 on the lesser hardware of the 640 is really impressing me. And the art design of the UI is impressing me. Somehow they're making Metro looking even more sleek and modern.

Plus, the Windows 10 apps are better than the versions available for my 8.1 phone! GroupMe takes a huge step up compared to what the regular Windows Phone users get. The WP8.1 version really was as barebones as you could get (far below the other platforms) but the Windows 10 version is really good. FaceBook on WP8.1 is borderline broken. I haven't really had time to put the 10 version through its paces but it seems to be an improvement so far.

What I'm hoping is that with these tools to port iOS apps to Universal Windows Platform, finally Windows 10 Mobile will have near equivalent versions to what iOS users gets. I think apps like GroupMe, Crossy Road, Facebook, and Candy Crush are good examples (unconfirmed except for Candy Crush) of the porting tools effects.

Beta_Max

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
onlysublime, I share your experience with my lumia 640 lte, but the only problem that I have is video recording. It lagging while records video, which can be noticed on playback. I had the same problem with build 10586.11.
In Windows 8.1-update 2, video recording run very smooth.

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Good to hear your experience. As far as Facebook goes, just my personal experience, I like Facebook Black. I like the simplicity and the black background. I tried finding something like it for my G4 but there is nothing close for Android.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm a believer, again, as well. FYI for persons relying upon email encryption (S/MIME) with Exchange (and Office365)--10586.29 coupled with today's (7 Dec) Outlook Mail app update (17.6430.42252.0) significantly improves Windows' handing of certificates. I'm finding the exchange (pun intended :) of encrypted email is working and, as far as I can tell... CONSISTENTLY. Hallelujah!

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed a drastic drop in battery consumption as well. My main grief of the previous build was that my 1520 could never get past a day no matter how I used it. Yesterday after the update and moderate use, it lasted for a whooping 2 days. Woohoo!

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm running it on my Lumia 930 & the battery consumption is really improved, it's actually lasting longer then the last version of 8.1. There are still odd bugs: i Had to reboot phone twice so far due to total lock up while using Edge browser.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Compared to the borderline terrible IE, Edge is an improvement. I'm not a big fan of Edge on the desktop. On the phone, because of how bad IE was, Edge is a better option.

adigawi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have one question- you mentioned about the latest update and the outlook mail update as well. I'm continuously reverting to wp8.1 just because of the email app which always was far from expected. For me the major problem is with attachments which takes ages to upload or download from the mail app. Could you please check this for me and let me know how long it takes to upload/download let's say 1MB pdf/excel/word file? It would be really great if this issue was fixed with the latest update.... Cheers.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
onlysublime, I share your experience with my lumia 640 lte, but the only problem that I have is video recording. It lagging while records video, which can be noticed on playback. I had the same problem with build 10586.11.
In Windows 8.1-update 2, video recording run very smooth.

And if you go 1 step down in recording quality?
I had the same on my Lumia 925 when recording in HD (1080p) But in 720p, all is ok.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have one question- you mentioned about the latest update and the outlook mail update as well. I'm continuously reverting to wp8.1 just because of the email app which always was far from expected. For me the major problem is with attachments which takes ages to upload or download from the mail app. Could you please check this for me and let me know how long it takes to upload/download let's say 1MB pdf/excel/word file? It would be really great if this issue was fixed with the latest update.... Cheers.

The mail app is quite a bit slower uploading/sending attachments. Photos particularly, even after I realised I was attaching 16MB pics :) Have adjusted settings so that it take 5mp pictures instead now. Did the old mail app automatically shrink photos when attaching? If so, this would account for the extra time I'm seeing when sending photos. I send photos to my work email every day at work, as it's quicker to email them than it is to plug a cable in and do it that way!

code222

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm running it on my Lumia 930 & the battery consumption is really improved, it's actually lasting longer then the last version of 8.1. There are still odd bugs: i Had to reboot phone twice so far due to total lock up while using Edge browser.

I had an error while installation, on my 930. Any idea what's the problem?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I am very, very impressed with windows 10 mobile on my 640. it is like butter. Everything works, it is fluid, fast, and feels new! I was not liking the performance with earlier builds, but this beat my expectations by far. I am using it as my daily driver and I am very pleased. Outlook works very well now... At first I was mad that outlook was the only mail client. The upgrade was not as smooth as I wanted, but a factory restart and restore from the cloud was very nice... I did lose a lot of text messages, but that's ok.

I have been using a moto e while I allowed my 640 to update, and stabilize. I really liked the android OS in its current shape and felt like Microsoft was sleeping... I mean android has a guest and user mode... Kids corner/apps corner still not updated... Android on the cheap moto e was very smooth and has "OK Google"... With all the good, I really missed windows 8.1. I mean for me, windows is just more efficient in the user interface.

Windows mobile 10 is very fresh. After getting outlooked tamed, I have been set. I don't miss the moto e for much of anything... I don't miss it at all. I am back to my daily phone and it is better than ever. If you want to go to windows 10, now is the time. I am very impressed and think that the release will be a success.

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20151127_0002.jpg

I have this HUGE battery drain on my 1520 on .29 even more so on .11 build.
Especially when I am connected to my bluetooth (4.1) headphones, which I usually does.
Sometimes the phone dies on me at 30% T_T Tried hard reset twice, and once I go back from 8.1 then to 10 but still severe battery drain.

Does anyone else experience this? Are you paired with any bluetooth device? It's not my battery's fault because right now I revert back to 8.1 and the battery's back to normal..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans