Outlook: Can I shrink a picture before I send it?

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
For slow connections or simply not to force my recipients from having to download a huge picture, is there a way to shrink a picture before sending it from Outlook? Or, even better, have it done this way by default (or a user selectable sticky option)? And of course, it should need saying but it should work with multiple picture attachments per message.

My previous Android phone couldn't do this by default but there was an app I used called ImageShrink that let me do that in a kludgy way.

Looking for a way to do this with Outlook on W10M. Thanks.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Nope. I just tested it. A back camera pic I just sent cost me 5.4 megabytes of bandwidth.

A front camera selfie, used up 1.4MB of bandwidth.

I looked around the menus and couldn't find a way to shrink it by default.

If Outlook in WP8(.1) shrinks by default, I'd be doubly mad at Microsoft for removing this feature from W10M.

Of course, I'd want the ability to over-ride and send images with the degree of compression selectable by me.

As an example of the bandwidth savings, on my Android phone, simply choosing to shrink the image from the default full-sized to 800x600 shrank the pic size from 4MB to 150K. That's a 97% shrink! And for many (most) situations, an 800x600 pic is sufficient. --or go "hog wild" and use 1280x1280 and still get it down to about 400K.

I should say that Android doesn't do this by default either (I had to buy an app) but I thought it unreasonable for Android to have this deficiency.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so the latest Outlook update (Dec 7, today), 17.6506.42002.0, still lacks this functionality.

And I confirmed from a user of a Lumia 830 running W8(.1)M that 8.1's Outlook does compress pics before sending. (Though it didn't offer the option of leaving them alone for those rare cases where a sender wants to transmit the full pic.)

So let me get this straight: The Microsoft Outlook team, each one presumably having a cell phone, not all of whom would have outlandish data plans with gigs of bandwith for free, decided to not just leave well enough alone but actually dramatically alter how Outlook in W10M handles picture attachments? i.e., took OUT the automatic compression of pics?

10 to 20 times (or more!) the amount of data for a picture is A LOT MORE DATA. Not only is it just a potential cost issue, it's also a time issue. Taking 10 or 20 times or more longer to transmit can be a HUGE deal. Imagine how long would it take to send a few 5+ MB pics if you had "only" 3G service.

Who thought this was good idea? Where were the milling mobs of disgruntled users who demanded that Microsoft leave their pics alone? Did the cellular companies pay Microsoft to make this change so that the could extract more money from users going over their monthly bandwith cap? What's the reasoning behind this change?

Even if a few users wanted a way of sending pics unaltered, Microsoft could have just provided it as an OPTION. They ALREADY HAD THE CODE IN PLACE TO COMPRESS PICS IN OUTLOOK 8.1. Why remove it? Just add the current method of only full-sized pics as an additional option!

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what happened with a W10M and an Outlook update yesterday, but today I took a selfie (front facing camera) and emailed it to someone.

Used up 3.1MB of cellular data!

With a compression app on Android, this would have taken 150K. 20 times the data and 20 times the time to send it using Outlook and W10M! No option provided to compress or shrink the image first.

Is no one else but me concerned about this?

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Get Shrinkit. It is very good - it allows you to maintain (or not maintain) the aspect ration when setting a new, reduced pixel width and height; or you can resize based on a goal file size.

https:// www. microsoft.com /en-us/store/apps/shrinkit/9nblggh0dbd4

Have to remove the space ^ before Microsoft!

Hey windows central... what is this tradedoubler SPAM garbage by the way that is breaking all of the links on this site?
2Fclkde.tradedoubler.com%2Fclick%3Fp%3D259740%26a%3D2542549%26g%3D0%26epi%3Dvb_wp%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.microsoft.com%252Fen-us%252Fstore%252Fapps%252Fshrinkit%252F9nblggh0dbd4

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what happened with a W10M and an Outlook update yesterday, but today I took a selfie (front facing camera) and emailed it to someone.

Used up 3.1MB of cellular data!

With a compression app on Android, this would have taken 150K. 20 times the data and 20 times the time to send it using Outlook and W10M! No option provided to compress or shrink the image first.

Is no one else but me concerned about this?

Just to follow up on this, I had reacted to what appeared to be a file size increase from 1.3MB to 3.3MB after the latest updates. Upon further inspection, the smaller selfie was just an "ordinary" selfie, i.e. a single image, and the bigger selfie was one of those fancy animated selfies, can't remember what it's called, where it seems to be a very short 1 second movie. Looks like the price for this little "motion picture" is nearly 3x the amount of data.

Could this be why Outlook doesn't downsize pics anymore???

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Get Shrinkit. It is very good - it allows you to maintain (or not maintain) the aspect ration when setting a new, reduced pixel width and height; or you can resize based on a goal file size.

https:// www. microsoft.com /en-us/store/apps/shrinkit/9nblggh0dbd4

Have to remove the space ^ before Microsoft!

Yes, I did see ShrinkIt and I have used it. It's free and it's like the free version of the Android app I was using in that it works only on 1 image at a time. I paid for the full app on Android and then in the Photo Gallery, I could check the ones I wanted and then it would batch-shrink them all and then offer to "share it" with another app, which would usally be my email app. Worked well.

I'm planning to write the author of Shrinkit to see if he can update it to give this functionality (I'm willing to pay for it).

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
PS: I tried on the Store webpage and even tried googling the author (Blake Hass) and there doesn't seem to be a way to contact him. Does anyone know how? Is providing feedback to his app the only way?

BVTrif

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution. I really regret moving to windows 10. Before it was so much easier to share pictures and videos, both were automaticaly compressed. Now I can only send 3 pictures or 10sec of vids....

Please Windows give us back the much better previous mail app

BVTrif

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
it is possible to go back to windows 8.1. That is what I did and I do not regret it, it even compress videos automaticly.
Windows mobile 10 had no significant advantages for me (the settings more simple, that is the only good point).
I hate outlook appearance and how stupid that it cannot compress pictures and video as in windows 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720