Does W10M keyboard have DEL function to remove characters to the right of the cursor?

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I have not yet used W10M/Previews.

One of the things that most annoys me about everyday use of my phone in WP8.x is the inability to remove characters to the right of the cursor (as you would on a PC via the DEL key, which is absent from WP8.x's onscreen keyboard). The WP8.x workaround is you have to move the cursor ahead of the characters you want to remove then tap BACKSPACE to remove the unwanted character(s). This can be tricky to always get right on first attempt as sometimes a whole word gets unintentionally selected (double cursor) then you have to tap again somewhere else to get the single cursor that you can drag to reposition. Aagh!

Way back in WM2003/2005 days, the DEL function could be achieved by tapping the SHIFT key to change the BACKSPACE key into a DEL key... simple, efficient, beautiful!

Does W10M's onscreen keyboard have this?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. But please use the Windows Feedback app to request this feature, or upvote an existing item for the same issue. Microsoft tends to look at items with the most votes so upvoting has more weight.

I can't say I've ever missed the 'delete to right' feature. I normally just move the cursor to the right side of whatever I want to delete (or highlight the entire word and hit delete). I guess the old way might well be really confusing to people who like typing in caps.

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Has cursor insertion point placement improved from 8.x to 10? I borrowed an iPhone for a few weeks a few months ago and selecting text was like, "Wow, it's so easy!" compared to my WP.

re: "use the Windows Feedback app" - I can't access the W10M feedback app as I can't install W10M on my HTC 8X, even as an Insider. There are a few "mobile" feedbacks in the Windows Feedback app that I can access on my desktop, but they seem to be out of place. It's a separate app, right?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anyone that uses the delte key. And I personally use it only to delete files on my PC. It's like... so weird, just backspace it bruh!
Why do we even need deletion in both ways?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But yes, cursor placement is improved in Windows 10 Mobile. You have access to a cursor nub for fine tuning the position. It takes a little getting used to, but it works well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos