Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
But I must say, I like the OP's logic, grabbing the milestone build before they muck it up ;)

I know there's a nice long W10 thread in the Icon forum, but are there any Icon owners here who want to say Yay or Nay to .29??

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Now have Windows 10 Mobile on my 830. No date and month on the glance screen.Stuck with one picture on my photos live tile. Microsoft photos add in app won't download. Small font everywhere. Glance screen not showing emails. Lock screen - swipe up and the text goes but the picture remains before switching. However...I know things will settle a little so I'll give it the 48 hour test. In favour of Windows 10, It is zippy and I've read that leaving the OS for a few hours after the upgrade will benefit the experience (why no date and month on the glance screen??????????)

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Now have Windows 10 Mobile on my 830. No date and month on the glance screen.Stuck with one picture on my photos live tile. Microsoft photos add in app won't download. Small font everywhere. Glance screen not showing emails. Lock screen - swipe up and the text goes but the picture remains before switching. However...I know things will settle a little so I'll give it the 48 hour test. In favour of Windows 10, It is zippy and I've read that leaving the OS for a few hours after the upgrade will benefit the experience (why no date and month on the glance screen??????????)

Try selecting detailed information/calendar for glance settings. Let us know how the build gets working on your 830. We have one in the family I was going to put on insider since I don't think it's going to get the actual win 10 mobile update.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Working good on my l1520. Having issues neither with apps nor with camera , although sometimes the screen just freezes and I need to lock and unlock to get it work again or give it 10-20 seconds to get working again. Since its not frequent I can more than just live with it.

Love the "show more tiles" of Win10. It looks very beautiful on big screen.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I'd say it's borderline, I upgraded my 1020 and so far it has been mainly frustrating. There is nothing that I have yet found that works better than WP8.1, except for perhaps some rendering in the browser. Generally everything is slower. Keyboard is noticeably slower. Apps launch more slowly.

There are a lot of weird scrolling artefacts in all apps, especially Edge. There are a lot of glitches with on screen keyboard, and swipe. Different apps seem to have different keyboard issues - in Edge, you can't delete a word that you swiped, you can only backspace by individual characters. In Store, you can't use swipe at all.

The photos app is much worse, slower and buggy. The email client (Outlook) is very poor and has numerous bugs. The messaging app is very slow to launch. Battery drain is about twice as fast as it was (can't get through a full day now).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

They've only had forever to get it right, it's not like some of these are complex apps.
that is why Ms said the W10M will be out if February for X20 series !!!!

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
The more I play around with Windows Mobile 10 the more I like it. And the more I think about it - like date and month being left of the glance screen - things aren't bugs but deliberate design choices. The ability to reply to texts when not in the text app is fantastic. Still want a "mark as read" function on text messages though. Perhaps it's here and I haven't found out how to access it yet....

TheFunMachine

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
A few months ago, I upgraded my Lumia 830 to W10M to downgrade back to 8.1 for the full Denim update, which I ended up not getting and having to flash manually. Anyway, when I updated, I decided to see how the OS looked on my L830, rather than on my W10M testing device, an L635. The problem was, I had too many apps on my start screen so it would just do the "loading..." forever, I haven't heard of it being fixed but can anyone here confirm if it is or not? It's the only thing stopping me from considering the upgrade.

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Will try to find the info/calendar settings. I can't find Quiet Hours as yet. I hope it is part of this build. So far Windows mobile 10 seems to be lacking all the basic features I came to like about 8.1. But it does have some very nice tricks - like the ability to answer an incoming text regardless of the app you're in. But it still doesn't compensate for the lack of the features I used most in 8.1. Should you update? Based on my short experience it's probably best to stick with 8.1 - unless you're like me and want to give it all a go :)

ea3dfx

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Will try to find the info/calendar settings. I can't find Quiet Hours as yet. I hope it is part of this build. So far Windows mobile 10 seems to be lacking all the basic features I came to like about 8.1. But it does have some very nice tricks - like the ability to answer an incoming text regardless of the app you're in. But it still doesn't compensate for the lack of the features I used most in 8.1. Should you update? Based on my short experience it's probably best to stick with 8.1 - unless you're like me and want to give it all a go :)
Expand the pull-down action center. Then you could set up Quiet Hours.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
A few months ago, I upgraded my Lumia 830 to W10M to downgrade back to 8.1 for the full Denim update, which I ended up not getting and having to flash manually. Anyway, when I updated, I decided to see how the OS looked on my L830, rather than on my W10M testing device, an L635. The problem was, I had too many apps on my start screen so it would just do the "loading..." forever, I haven't heard of it being fixed but can anyone here confirm if it is or not? It's the only thing stopping me from considering the upgrade.

Yes, that loading issue has been fixed as of 101586.11 I believe. Pretty much nothing that keeps me from using 10 as my daily driver now. I've even installed it on my wife's phone, and I have to have a lot of confidence in it to do that. She's the last person I want mad at me. ;)

Expand the pull-down action center. Then you could set up Quiet Hours.

Short tap on Quiet Hours in the action center will toggle it, long press brings up the Quiet Hours settings. Neat trick. Easy access.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
That is something I'd have to agree with from the comments I've seen around. It seems the drivers aren't quite there to properly drive the 1020 and 1520 cameras from what I've heard. I'm not sure about the 1320. I've heard little complaints from 520 and 920 users, but I may have missed them.

Phones like the 640 perform quite well, however.

yeah, and the 640 xl for me is working pretty well... even faster than the 8.1.... just wish my live account could be added to the mailing app

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I AM USING 640 XL. I updated my phone to win10 preview for about nearly a week. I honestly didn't even look at it as a preview. I wouldn't say it doesn't have bugs, but its bug that I can live with.

I have notice that Microsoft fans are more of productivity type of person with class. The animations works well for me, and also my apps. Only app I saw give me a hard time to refresh was my facebook app, but that's a minor for me cause normally I only browse fb when I am at home (on my laptop).

It resume apps much faster for me. I don't normally see the 'resuming' or 'loading' messages. Battery life incresse for me, I had the phone off charge from 4 am, made a skype call at 7:21am and end call at 9:40am and I had 71% battery life (was texting and sending email during call, and my phone was on wifi always).

The only issue I have with the phone is that....

it does not sync with live account even after it says successfully add

if you press the start button (at times) u will have a 2 seconds delay to the start menu...

photo quality seems to drop maybe a 10% (indoor photos) for me.....(haven't got the time to take an outdoor photo since lately because of the constant rain when traveling)

conclusion; Windows phone for me is mostly for productivity and to keep in contact with my friends and families. Those two purpose is working pretty well for me, I like the new features, and animations. So I think it is ready for 640 xl, but wouldn't know about the other phones.

sumanthsuresh

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
On windows preview 10586.29 with HTC one m8 .
Rare hangs phone becomes unresponsive , just need to lock the screen and unlock starts working again. Other wise very nice interface looks good. No major issues. Office works better. And I had severe ghost touches issues with 8.1 where the phone was so sensitive that while I am on a call phone would go on mute or place the call on hold and redial the same person on call with. All those issues are gone.
So far windows 10 holding up pretty good

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey I have a 640. Is the .29 build stable enough for a daily driver?
It's good enough for me on my 640. Your mileage may vary.

I was pleased enough to put it on my wife's 635, and she hasn't put me in the doghouse, so she must think it's okay as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99