Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrick_c

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I put an earlier build (about 5 builds back) on my 535. Used it but at the time the battery life was terrible. Tried to reset it but my phone got bricked. I'll just wait for the OTA update.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Just from my experience with w10m (Lumia 930):

In short, if you need your phone for work related stuff and you need ir to be reliable, just don't. Stay with 8.1, at this point, it is far superior, more fluid, fast, stable and reliable. Sure, some w10m features are nice and the design is a nice change but other rhan that, it's not worth it at this point, at least for me.

It created so many problems for me. My phone is laggy and slow, huge battery drain and overall it just feels like I am using a cheap Android device, not a former flagship. Constant wi-fi problems and need to manually turn wi-fi off and on again. I can't download keyboard predictions now because of some bug. No e-mail sound notifications. For some reason, some apps in the store are in different languages (mostly arabic or spannish). That is just to name a few.

Other things I dislike:

Edge - no swipe gestures or forward button (wtf???)

Mail - just horrible formatting when reading e-mails. Writting is even worse, slow and unresponsive and just pain to do.

Circular design of the People live tile (lol)

Hamburger menus (sigh)

I do realize that this is just and insider build (.36) and I really hopw it gets better as other thatn the things I mwntioned I like the system. It's just ... Yesterday I just got the feeling of using a cheap Android phone and not the awesome, fast and reliablw system I was used to and which I was proud of and would recommend to anybody. Now I just don't know, I really feel sorry for the people who bought the 950 & 950 xl with system at this state, it's so far from finished ... And yes ... I have done a "hard reset". Which is another thing I have a problem with. When on 8.1 I have never even heard about needing to do something like tha. How many people do develop the w10m? 5 people? Will we really be forced to "jump ships" in the future? There are so many people leaving the platform already. I am sad...

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Had all three of my phones (2 L635 + 1 L640) on W10M 10586.29, and none were still enrolled in the Insider Preview. I had unenrolled them then uninstalled the app.

They all were updated to .36 with no issues, so I'm on off the Insider builds, yet got the update through regular OTA. Loving it. One phone is an international unlocked Lumia 635, the other 635 and the 640 are both AT&T GoPhones. It just goes to show, there is no carrier intervention to block actual OS updates.

Firmware updates are another story, but at least we're getting the OS updates through okay. Of course, no firmware updates are due for these phones anyway, but it's great to know the OS will always be updated.

ghaikal

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930. Updated today from 8.1 to WP10 build .36 . Didn't reset soft or hard. No issues. It's great.

Last edited:

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my Icon to .29 two days ago. Found the instructions in another post on this website and it was easy peasy. Only a few issues to work through, but the resolutions are easily found by searching on this site. I set Windows Insider to slow ring and the next day had the update to .36. After another hard reset, my Icon is running wonderfully. It does take some time to get all of your apps and email set up again, but well worth the upgrade in my opinion.

augustin25

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I tried .36 on my 640 for a few days without a hard reset and had a lot of crashes and slow-loading/lagging apps (Edge was awful). I did a hard reset yesterday and it's so good now - haven't had a crash in the 36 hours since, and everything is faster and smooth.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I set Windows Insider to slow ring and the next day had the update to .36.

You can actually leave the Insider program on that phone, and will continue to get the updates that push out to the official Windows 10 models. I did that on a 640 and 635, and was not enrolled in the insider program for the upgrade to .36. Just an FYI.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I took the plunge yesterday on my 640. Some miner small problems for one I don?t get FB notifications on my tile it appears that it is not live as it doesn't flip. I will try a reinstall other then that not bad. Of Course the battery life is not as good but I expected that.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
It's good enough for me on my 640. Your mileage may vary.

I was pleased enough to put it on my wife's 635, and she hasn't put me in the doghouse, so she must think it's okay as well.

When I end up in the dog house both the wife and dog are mad at me LOL

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You should wait for a better "forthcoming" build .. This build have some serious issues...

Not at all. No issues on my end here. It may also depend on the phone model as to whether or not there are issues, but the same issues are usually present in 8.1, as most are due to bugs in the firmware of the device. That's why the 950 and 950 XL are receiving firmware updates. It's why the 535 has issues with the proximity sensor.

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Do you think automatic reboot, device freezing, accent color flashing on lock screen, apps running in background even after suspension of the particular app, fast draining battery, longer reboot time etc not issues with latest .39 update?
My device is having 1GB Ram.
Let me tell you , these are not happening with wp8.1.

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Not at all. No issues on my end here. It may also depend on the phone model as to whether or not there are issues, but the same issues are usually present in 8.1, as most are due to bugs in the firmware of the device. That's why the 950 and 950 XL are receiving firmware updates. It's why the 535 has issues with the proximity sensor.

Do you think automatic reboot, device freezing, accent color flashing on lock screen, apps running in background even after suspension of the particular app, fast draining battery, longer reboot time etc not issues with latest .39 update?
My device is having 1GB Ram.
Let me tell you , these are not happening with wp8.1.

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
If these are not a problem with w10 then why msft is not updating frimware of low end devices as well ? After all those are also msft loyal users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12