Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Do you think automatic reboot, device freezing, accent color flashing on lock screen, apps running in background even after suspension of the particular app, fast draining battery, longer reboot time etc not issues with latest .39 update?
My device is having 1GB Ram.
Let me tell you , these are not happening with wp8.1.

If these are not a problem with w10 then why msft is not updating frimware of low end devices as well ? After all those are also msft loyal users

Like I said, I don't have any of these issues with my device, except how background apps work has changed in Windows 10 Mobile to allow easier multi-tasking. Suspending an app only suspends it if the app behaves properly. Some apps need to be able to continue running so that tasks can be done, like downloading in the background, etc. Microsoft finally delivers the feature that is one of the top most requested features and you are calling it a bug.

My battery doesn't drain any faster or last any longer. As far as the reboot times, I had tested that on .39 with 2 Lumia 635s, one on 8.1 and one on 10 .39, and there was barely a noticeable difference on that particular device.

Microsoft isn't updating firmware on the older devices right now because they have already released updates for the firmware for all the older devices to address hardware bugs. Remember Cyan? Denim? Yeah, those are still firmware for those older devices that didn't come pre-installed except on a very few devices. As far as the 535, I expect a firmware update at some point, but it takes time and Microsoft is busy concentrating on those devices that are already officially on 10.

I am in no way stating that there are no bugs in the OS, but it isn't something that is affecting every device and Microsoft is working on it and releasing regular updates. Some of the bugs you mentioned could also have to do with software drivers for the hardware that the OS needs to access. Another reason why it will affect one device, but not another.

Problems with a phone freezing up when other phones of the same model are not freezing up could also be an indication of a possible hardware fault in the system.

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thus, from your point of view, it's all about mistakes of a single phone. And I don't think that an app which has already been suspended by end user still running in the background and when opening again, started from start over is not a bug. May be I'm wrong but those other thousands of insiders who are using this preview can't be proved wrong.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thus, from your point of view, it's all about mistakes of a single phone. And I don't think that an app which has already been suspended by end user still running in the background and when opening again, started from start over is not a bug. May be I'm wrong but those other thousands of insiders who are using this preview can't be proved wrong.

Yeah, that's an API issue with the app in question. There are quite a few apps like that, and they need to be fixed/updated. Just because an app behaves badly, doesn't mean it's the fault of the OS.

iamharish15

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I have been using Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 630 DS and it's not yet reached the Windows 8.1 stability and battery life levels. Not sure it is because of my mobile's hardware limitations or of the OS's but the experience is certainly not that great and I would not recommend it to anyone at this moment. But I hope that in near future, the OS will stabilize further and be more ready for everyone not just the Windows enthusiasts and testers.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I too unenrolled from the technical preview on my L640XL on build .29 only to be greeted with an update issue notification saying I was low on space for my update to .36....

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
For me running a Lumia 640 I have very few issues I like the look of Windows 10 even my son who saw it today likes it and he one of those fruity type phones. Having said that I am on the slow ring not sure if the OS is ready for the big release but I am happy.

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm enjoying my 640 on 8.1 and have been ever so tempted to take the leap after reading so many positive things from other 640 owners but I just can't shake the fact that Microsoft pushed back the release for some particular reason. After getting a little singed from updating my laptop to W10 in July and not receiving fixes for basic functions until the November release; I feel that if MS actually recognize that W10m isn't ready for prime time, I'm inclined to believe them.

Akkaler

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I have been using Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 630 DS and it's not yet reached the Windows 8.1 stability and battery life levels. Not sure it is because of my mobile's hardware limitations or of the OS's but the experience is certainly not that great and I would not recommend it to anyone at this moment. But I hope that in near future, the OS will stabilize further and be more ready for everyone not just the Windows enthusiasts and testers.
Of course it requires another one or two major updates just to improve stability of the current OS . At least, first of all msft should workaround to improve the basic level of the os then after they should think to add new features. Without establishing os, features are just useless

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Of course it requires another one or two major updates just to improve stability of the current OS . At least, first of all msft should workaround to improve the basic level of the os then after they should think to add new features. Without establishing os, features are just useless

Alternatively, you can mail your phone to me @Akkaler and I will post a video of your phone running perfectly. Then I can send it back to you. lol

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Made the jump twice with my 920 and rolled back both times, beacause of different issues. Waiting for better builds, what we have now seems not yet ready for me. :)

abulafia53

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
"I upgraded my Icon to .29 two days ago. Found the instructions in another post on this website and it was easy peasy"

can you provide a link to these instructions?

Mandymoo11

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I did:
1. Took screenshots of my start screen so I would know which apps I had pinned and how they were arranged.
2. Did the same for the All Apps list, so I would remember which apps I had installed. (My screenshots upload to onedrive). You will be wiping your phone and NOT restoring from a backup, so it's best to have a guide for when you are setting your phone up after the update.
3. Hard reset your phone, sign in and install ONLY the Windows Insider app from the store. Choose Fast Ring, install WM10 and then hard reset again.
4. Sign in and using your saved screenshots as a guide, reinstall your apps from the store. Do not restore from a backup or you will have issues.

I also reinstalled the Windows Insider app and set it to slow ring so I will continue to get new builds. I received the update to .36 the next day. There is a learning curve with WM10 and admittedly the battery life is not as good as 8.1, but there are many posts on this forum that can help you work through any issues you may encounter. Just search for what you are having issues with.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I did:
1. Took screenshots of my start screen so I would know which apps I had pinned and how they were arranged.
2. Did the same for the All Apps list, so I would remember which apps I had installed. (My screenshots upload to onedrive). You will be wiping your phone and NOT restoring from a backup, so it's best to have a guide for when you are setting your phone up after the update.
3. Hard reset your phone, sign in and install ONLY the Windows Insider app from the store. Choose Fast Ring, install WM10 and then hard reset again.
4. Sign in and using your saved screenshots as a guide, reinstall your apps from the store. Do not restore from a backup or you will have issues.

I also reinstalled the Windows Insider app and set it to slow ring so I will continue to get new builds. I received the update to .36 the next day. There is a learning curve with WM10 and admittedly the battery life is not as good as 8.1, but there are many posts on this forum that can help you work through any issues you may encounter. Just search for what you are having issues with.

Actually there is no need to take screenshot to remember the apps that you downloaded. You can do the following :

1) Hard reset and install the new update/ OS version
2) Sign in to your account on the phone
3) Do not restore from back up
4) Go to Store
5) Select the Hamburger Menu
6) Select Purchased
7) Edge will open Microsoft website and ask you to sign in.
8) You will see the following screen after you sign in.
transactions.jpg

RonWesley

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft with Windows 10 was to offer the OS as a free upgrade to current users of Windows 7 and 8.1. In fact there?s a good chance that your PC is already displaying a new icon in the system tray, prompting you to upgrade. For XP or Vista users Windows 10 is a paid upgrade, so it's a bigger decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99