I don't like to complain, but...

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, I am new on windowscentral, but I have been following the news on here for quite long, being a long time Windows phones user.
I now have a Lumia 950 to play with and I think the OS is not ready at all to hit the whole world. Surely I would not recommend it to anyone unless they have an unconditional love for Microsoft...
Here is a list of things that I think are wrong; obviously this is my opinion, but I would really like to know if I am the only one who thinks that these things are so basic that they should not even exist so that they can concentrate on fixing bugs of other nature like Bluetooth connections etc.

1. UI inconsistencies
    • It was ok to have different UIs for menus and whatnot when the OS was just for Insiders, but now that the phones are out there, I cannot stand them anymore. Plenty of feedback has been given for them to know what we like and what we don't.
    • If the idea is to have the same Windows across all devices, I think it is quite important to have the same elements as well. I am talking about transparencies for the volume control, action centre and so forth.
    • Sometime you see grey, sometime you see black... What is the logic behind having these two colours for background for example in settings? In my opinion I would just stick with grey. yes, black might be better for battery, but I sometimes get comments like "it feels like those old computers, white text and black background". I agree, it does not look good and it is not appealing to someone looking for a "new" phone.
    • Even the simple things.. While charging the PC, the little plug on the battery icon is always visible and the leaf for the battery saver is always shown in green on the taskbar (then if you click you get the white icon with the leaf that resembles a lot the plug for when it is charging.... ?!). On the phone instead you get a blinking plug and a fixed white leaf... I simply do not understand this.
    • Why some of Microsoft's app have a splash screen and others don't? It cannot be related to the time required to load: the calculator app has it, Groove music not. You would think that the music app is slightly heavier than a calculator no?... Also it is not very nice to have it appear for a split second like when you open Edge, it is just annoying.
    • is it Mail or Outlook Mail ?
  2. Lags & Bugs
    • The start screen as well as the app list seem to scroll just fine, but once you reach the top or the bottom, the animation to make it bounce just lags and you get this jumping screen which is horrendous.
    • The animation of the bottom menus is as laggy as it could be. (WP vs Lagdroid... mhm)
    • The overlay on the background in the app list only appears if you swipe from the start screen. In every other occasion, like when you go back from an app you get the plain background in all its brightness. I see comments in the feedback app going back months for this.
    • I cannot even replicate it intentionally, but sometimes when going back from an app the search bar in the app list is focused automatically, prompting the keyboard.
    • Edge decides to crash very often...
    • Windows Hello animation ends every time in a different "face" with the winking one appearing sporadically (1/5)
    • Windows Hello always wants to detect your face even if you set that the PIN is required only after a certain time of inactivity. Also, it should not activate when the screen is "unlocked" by some notification.
    • Some apps just don't work, like Gadgets: Open Groove when plugging in a headset; Result is a quick flash of the start screen when a headset is plugged in.

I am sure I am missing so many things that I will need to edit this post in the near future, but this should do as a start.

To conclude I think the other major issue of the OS is the lack of apps. I am tired as you guys are of this phrase, but it is just the truth. I have lost another two members of the family to android because they were missing games and University's apps so unless whatever they are planning to do happens fast, there is no way the platform can go have more than the famous 3% of market share... It can have less though.

Let me know if I am just tired or you feel the same way :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile is software that's very much in a state of constant improvement and we're likely to see pretty frequent updates/changes (exactly how we see things with Windows 10 Desktop).

Yes, there's likely to be a few little bugs to start off with, but if Microsoft waited until every single small thing was fixed and was sure that the system would make every single customer happy, it would never be released.

You have a Windows Feedback app built into your phone, so you should really use that to offer feedback and bug reports to Microsoft, this app is what they use to prioritise and analyse issues.

Not everyone is going to agree with your issues here (I'm perfectly happy with my 950XL for now and expect there to be further improvements moving forwards). You'll also other people complain about other things that are important to them. The internet being what it is, is seemingly filled with people who complain, after all. Needless to say, there's also plenty of people who are happy with their devices or simply don't find any issues important enough for them to raise.

It's been said before that Microsoft aren't aggressively fighting for market share (it's pretty pointless trying, from the position right now), but is more intent on offering Windows 10 across a wide variety of platforms and leveraging the dominance in the desktop/laptop/tablet markets.

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi Pete, thanks for the reply. These are just my impressions and ideas of course and I agree with you that with so many different users a company can't make everyone happy or wait to fix all the bugs.
It's just that when you see a lot comments (a lot) in the feedback app about something like the missing overlay and most of them go back months, you start wondering how hard is it to fix?

Personally I would be embarrassed to show the phone to a tech enthusiast person, especially one who has never used Windows before. Far be it from me to judge, but to be happy with this OS one really needs to turn a blind eye to it. Non Windows people laugh at it and with good reason; and the old excuse "it's still young, give it time" is indeed old.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I do agree with OP here. Windows Mobile UI needs to be consistent with desktop version especially with those visual elements that are easily accessible for an end user (say for example, the action center). There are lots of inconsistent UI elements and too much of grey color scheme that makes the UI look utterly bad. Windows Phone 8/8.1 strongly represent a consistent UI across all apps and still beats WM10 in that area. Feedback app is filled with suggestions and UI improvements and MS have hardly shown an intent to include these changes in future builds.

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi tangledW, I am not sure how to read your comment, but maybe you are very lucky. The windows feedback app and several posts in forums or review about windows 10 mobile have raised the same "bugs" I reported here.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Although I dont have Lumia 950, but I am running windows 10 mobile preview on my phone. Yes it needs lot of polishing. Also i am seeing ppl complaining of flagship phones, which is not a good start. I dont what was hurry to push flagship with new os.. But i think damage would be less if they would delay thier flagships till april 2016.. When os shapes up. Lets hope for best. Wishing this is just bad phase with lot good to come.
Keyboard and ui inconsistency is something which i agree with u.

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Two months later, close to release date, the UI is exactly the same and none of the things I reported here, aside from the gadget app, have been fixed. This is extremely... ridiculous, is the only word that comes to my mind.

Last edited:

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
No changes in April and the OS is officially out. Ahahahahahahahahahahah
Enough, I won't write anymore in this post, I think I have made my point.

vincenzo_abete

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I know, I was just informing anyone who may have cared that I will not post anymore in this thread as it is clear it's a dead one. It can be deleted or hidden, I don't know.

Yes, it's only the 6th, but the OS has not been officially released today and the anniversary update will happen some months from now, months after the OS has been publicly released. I find this funny.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you want this thread to die, the best thing you can do is not reply to it any more (regardless if anyone else does) unless you have something to contribute.

There are new Windows Insiders builds every couple of weeks and some of these builds may well get through to the Production ring before the Anniversary update.

If you want something to change, hammer the Windows Feedback app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99