Why is my email notification showing I have new email when I don't?

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
New email indicator

I have an issue this morning that is driving me nuts. My outlook/email shows that I have 5 unread emails, except that I don't have any unread emails. The start screen icon has the little "5" on it and the lock screen shows "5" next to the email icon. I do not have any unread emails at all. I have rebooted the phone, changed email syncing options to show everything (instead of just last two weeks), checked the other folders that are synced, but there are no unread emails anywhere.

How do I get the stupid indicator to reset? It is driving me nuts telling me that I have new emails when I don't.

Windows 10586.29 Lumia 1520.

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: New email indicator

i think it got updated today? duno :p
if you choose to leave from insider program you can get away from stupid issues like this i was driven crazy when the phone icon had the same issue until it got updated after 1 hour when my brain was already burned from being annoyed over it xD

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
The Outlook Mail tile (like many others) doesn't update correctly. Quite often it doesn't clear when I've read my email. Very annoying.

Adriaan Le Grange

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem!
I read the email and few seconds after that the phone just restarted by itself
So now the pinned tile shows i have 1 email and glance was also showing I have 1 unread email
Glance is not showing an unread mail anymore but the tile keeps showing there is 1 unread email
I tried to unpin and re-pin...doesn't work
I deleted my account and added it again....doesn't work
I tried a soft reset....Doesn't work
I deleted the email that it says is unread...Doesn't work

What did work for me is: closed outlook completely, unpinned the tile, send my self a email from another account, when i got the mail I didn't read it, I pinned the outlook app again, the app showed 1 unread email(the one i send to myself) opened the app read the email and the unread notification was gone.

hope they will fix this bug soon.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
This is doing my head in. Everytime now, only on my icloud email account. Why has it started all of a sudden??

Guess MS are on their jols now, so have to put up with it for the next 2 weeks.........

Why did i expect the OS to work on my brand new W10 ?450 phone????

lopezi

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I had to do the whole "unpin, re-pin" today. However, what was weird is that I had 20 emails, the notification icon showed 20, I then read all 20 but the notification icon and live tile went down to 9 although I had read all of them and they were all marked as read.

Oh well, good thing I found this post, I wouldn't have known to unpin and re-pin to clear the notification.

scott miller10

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: New email indicator

This issue has been annoying me for several weeks and your solution solved it! Can't believe it was that simple!

Guess what?

March 2017 and this is still an issue.

Microsoft mobile is a complete joke of an ecosystem, Windows 10 mobile has been an absolute disgrace of a mobile OS.

Nutella is and will be the ruination of Microsoft technology, period. With that ***** at the helm of Continuum and the Surface range it is doomed to fail.

This is my last Windows phone (Lumia 640 lte) as I will be going to either Apple or Android, there simply is no other choice now.

The rumoured Surface phone is a pipe dream and any mobile running Continuum will be a glorified Palm Pilot.

Seriously? who will dock a mobile and turn it into a desktop these days when I can take almost any decent android handset and cast the screen to almost any decent tv or HD monitor wirelessly.

As usual with Microshaft their thinking is about 3 years behind everyone else, just look at the Zune.

Edski303

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem, but unpinning the Outlook Mail tile wouldn't fix it.
Since the Creators Update there's a new option in the Outlook Mail notifications settings which is 'group notifications'. I had to turn all but one of the Outlook Mail notifications off, and leave the group notifications on, since it was notifying me of e-mail coming in on addresses of which I didn't want to be notified of.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3