W10M isn't that bad after all :)

Kartik 10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
There has been so much negativity surrounding the windows 10 mobile. Let's be positive and count them.
1) an improved action centre with toggles
2) settings are organised better than on any OS
3) the UI looks better. If people don't like it they also have an option for a more 8.1 like experience.
4) actionable notifications( favourite :)
5) newly installed apps list
6) same experience throughout the devices
7) UWP seems to be working wonders
8) a really nifty feature is when you switch off your phone it shows your upcoming reminders
9) an improved resizable keyboard
10) one handed mode
11) voice to text everywhere
12) camera supports selfie stick
..... And a lot more

Last edited:

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I miss the innovative UI that WP8.1 gave us, but the show-stopper for me is that in W10M Cortana can't automatically invoke Quiet Hours based on my calendar appointments. I'm in an out of lectures all day long, and it's ridiculous having to remember to put the phone to silent at the start of every lecture and back to normal after every one. Indeed, I sometimes forget, which leads to embarrassment or missed calls.

I cannot believe that Microsoft didn't regard this feature as essential.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I changed my mind, I reverted back to 8.1 because the OS felt unfinished and when I actually started using it, I realised how smooth 8.1 is. How beautiful some of the apps actually are. How accurate the keyboard is etc. I know I don't have firmware on my 735 but if the 950/950XL are suffering from bugs then something is really wrong

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I changed my mind, I reverted back to 8.1 because the OS felt unfinished and when I actually started using it, I realised how smooth 8.1 is. How beautiful some of the apps actually are.

Totally agree. Once you start using W10M fully it just feels unfinished and kind of "messy". The smooth, artistic slickness of WP8.1 has gone.

When I put my phone back to WP8.1 I was surprised at how much better the whole thing felt. I miss the improved Settings page and the improved Notifications/Action centre, definitely, but I almost felt a sense of relief after the subtly "lumpy" experience of using W10M.

I think MS has made a MASSIVE mistake by ditching the superb UI design language of WP8.1 in order to make it easier for iOS app developers to port their apps to W10M. I just don't believe that will happen (to any useful extent). Instead they should have stuck to their convictions and hired a load of developers to write apps for the existing UI.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
3) the UI looks better. If people don't like it they also have an option for a more 8.1 like experience.
9) an improved resizable keyboard

What do these mean? Transparent tiles vs background image through the tiles? Small and smaller detachable keyboard? ;)

I did like W10M UI, but in many places it is direct copy/paste from tablet/desktop W10 - too small to be usable. Yes, the scaling can be increased but then everything else grows too large, so not really an option right now.

Responding to SMS within notification is cool ;)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What do these mean? Transparent tiles vs background image through the tiles? Small and smaller detachable keyboard? ;)

I did like W10M UI, but in many places it is direct copy/paste from tablet/desktop W10 - too small to be usable. Yes, the scaling can be increased but then everything else grows too large, so not really an option right now.

Responding to SMS within notification is cool ;)

Under Settings > Personalization > Start... there is an option "Choose style" which will allow you to set the background picture as:
"Tile picture" (like 8.1 - black (or white) background with picture showing through tiles)
or
"Full screen picture" where the picture is expanded to the entire screen and the tiles are either solid or transparent over the picture.

The keyboard is resizable by taping and holding on the space bar until the keyboard gets a border in your theme color, then swipe left or right to shrink the keyboard in the direction you swipe... just do the opposite to get it back

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree. Once you start using W10M fully it just feels unfinished and kind of "messy". The smooth, artistic slickness of WP8.1 has gone.

When I put my phone back to WP8.1 I was surprised at how much better the whole thing felt. I miss the improved Settings page and the improved Notifications/Action centre, definitely, but I almost felt a sense of relief after the subtly "lumpy" experience of using W10M.

I think MS has made a MASSIVE mistake by ditching the superb UI design language of WP8.1 in order to make it easier for iOS app developers to port their apps to W10M. I just don't believe that will happen (to any useful extent). Instead they should have stuck to their convictions and hired a load of developers to write apps for the existing UI.

Yea, they rely on that hamburger menu too much and you can't swipe from the side to activate it either 😞 if you are going to copy something, at least do it right.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
one thing i REALLY like is that Groove now goes in landscape!! much easier to use for music while driving with my 950xl in the dash mount

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
"one handed mode" hahahah I'm gonna die laughing, or crying, or both, I've been using my 928 one handed all day until I got w10m on it, now if I want to use it one handed again all I have to do is turn it upside down

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
"Tile picture" (like 8.1 - black (or white) background with picture showing through tiles)
or
"Full screen picture" where the picture is expanded to the entire screen and the tiles are either solid or transparent over the picture.

This was exactly what I meant. But before I actually tried the full screen picture, I thought it was just something lame (in most pictures it looks really ... flat). Background image spans to app list (cool) and proper image (e.g. Storm Troopers from SW7) with correct accent color and right amount of transparency can actually look better than tile picture ;)

The keyboard is resizable by taping and holding on the space bar until the keyboard gets a border in your theme color, then swipe left or right to shrink the keyboard in the direction you swipe... just do the opposite to get it back

On 820 this does not happen. Maybe it depends on display size.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I can't say that W10M is a giant leap from W8.1P, but there are some improvements. I am happy with it. But then I am using it on a new 950, and I don't know how it runs on older hardware.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I like W10M, but low battery life and some freeze / hang issues are still there, hopefully all will be sorted out before release. Rolled back to WP8.1 yesterday, battery is good, no freeze, no green screen in videos, no unexpected restart, it feel lot stable than W10M for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers