Landscape homescreen for win10mobile .

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, correct me if I am wrong but gabe Aul did asked us to poll on landscape homescreen for win 10 mobile. It's been a while ago .... What happened on this ? Is that coming ?

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I want that too. When I first got my first Windows Phone I was surprised how badly it is optimized for using the phone in landscape mode.

I was so used to working with my old Nokia Xpress 5530 sideways.

Then I got Lumia 930 and was very annoyed that I need to turn the phone when I wanted to simply open another app. Not to mention the Facebook Messenger app which I absolutely hate just because of the fact I have to type in portrait mode with it, I make so many typos in portrait mode, it's super annoying!! Hell even this Windows Central app forces me to type that way, it does nor support landscape.

Microsoft should really do something about this ...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is the kind of thing you need to mention on the feedback app on your phone. You won't get a definitive answer here at the moment.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
This is the kind of thing you need to mention on the feedback app on your phone. You won't get a definitive answer here at the moment.

If you take a look into the feedback app, there are many requests for this already. I hope Microsoft will address this.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
something I like about universal apps is that they work in landscape, I think its a matter of time before they do this, but obviously it doesn't look like it is a top priority either

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
True. I would like to them to fix the music controls' inconsistency and inefficiency first more than this.

yea how could they be adding things if what we have already doesn't even work properly right? but this is Microsoft we talking about so we actually get things moved around instead, you know, a change of strategy so it might work this time! /s

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It's likely to come in redstone. This build cycle they were focusing on a lot of bugs. Next build cycle is apparently going to focus on features + bugs.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone offer a logical, useful reason for landscape mode on the Start screen?
It just seems like a waste of time to me, and implementation seems sketchy. Imagine a Start screen with many apps and folders, it would take 2-3 times longer to scroll in landscape than portrait and groupings will almost certainly move around when switching between the modes - just as it did in 8.1 with tablets.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you're already holding the device in landscape, or switching among several apps in landscape and you need to go to Start to open yet another landscape app. Then you might think it's an annoying waste of time to reorient the device to portrait, find and open the app, then reorient the device to landscape again. I don't often use landscape myself, but that seems like one possible reason.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone offer a logical, useful reason for landscape mode on the Start screen?
It just seems like a waste of time to me, and implementation seems sketchy. Imagine a Start screen with many apps and folders, it would take 2-3 times longer to scroll in landscape than portrait and groupings will almost certainly move around when switching between the modes - just as it did in 8.1 with tablets.
Just because you think it will be like this doesn't means it has to be like this....there are WAY too many ways you could design a new form factor ( landscape mode ) . I leave this job to professionals but for just an idea , how about homescreen splitting in two parts , one traditional startscreen and other fastlane type screen ( used to be in nokia x series)....just an example.....

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Honestly before continuum I thought landscape start screen was a waste of time, but with continuum in order to have the same style start menu as I'm desktop I think a landscape start screen could be important.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Honestly before continuum I thought landscape start screen was a waste of time, but with continuum in order to have the same style start menu as I'm desktop I think a landscape start screen could be important.

Exactly..... Landscape can offer a different dimension to how we use our phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss