12-22-2015 06:56 AM
29 12
tools
    Hey folks, correct me if I am wrong but gabe Aul did asked us to poll on landscape homescreen for win 10 mobile. It's been a while ago .... What happened on this ? Is that coming ?
    12-19-2015 07:29 AM
    I don't remember a poll.

I do want landscape for the start screen and other apps.
    12-19-2015 07:44 AM
    I want that too. When I first got my first Windows Phone I was surprised how badly it is optimized for using the phone in landscape mode.

I was so used to working with my old Nokia Xpress 5530 sideways.

Then I got Lumia 930 and was very annoyed that I need to turn the phone when I wanted to simply open another app. Not to mention the Facebook Messenger app which I absolutely hate just because of the fact I have to type in portrait mode with it, I make so many typos in portrait mode, it's super annoying!! Hell even this Windows Central app forces me to type that way, it does nor support landscape.

Microsoft should really do something about this ...
    12-19-2015 07:54 AM
    I don't remember a poll.

I do want landscape for the start screen and other apps.
    Its was done either on twitter or on windows central...i can't recall it....
    12-19-2015 08:00 AM
    Yes it was done
    12-19-2015 08:04 AM
    Yes it was done
    Do you know it's results? Is it coming in near future?
    12-19-2015 08:21 AM
    Anyone?
    12-19-2015 11:08 AM
    This is the kind of thing you need to mention on the feedback app on your phone. You won't get a definitive answer here at the moment.
    gpobernardo likes this.
    12-19-2015 11:17 AM
    This is the kind of thing you need to mention on the feedback app on your phone. You won't get a definitive answer here at the moment.
    If you take a look into the feedback app, there are many requests for this already. I hope Microsoft will address this.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    12-19-2015 11:20 AM
    Do you know it's results? Is it coming in near future?
    Nope
    12-19-2015 11:58 AM
    something I like about universal apps is that they work in landscape, I think its a matter of time before they do this, but obviously it doesn't look like it is a top priority either
    12-19-2015 02:49 PM
    but obviously it doesn't look like it is a top priority either
    True. I would like to them to fix the music controls' inconsistency and inefficiency first more than this.
    WesleyBPeres likes this.
    12-19-2015 03:15 PM
    True. I would like to them to fix the music controls' inconsistency and inefficiency first more than this.
    yea how could they be adding things if what we have already doesn't even work properly right? but this is Microsoft we talking about so we actually get things moved around instead, you know, a change of strategy so it might work this time! /s
    12-19-2015 08:10 PM
    It's likely to come in redstone. This build cycle they were focusing on a lot of bugs. Next build cycle is apparently going to focus on features + bugs.
    12-20-2015 10:00 AM
    It's likely to come in redstone. This build cycle they were focusing on a lot of bugs. Next build cycle is apparently going to focus on features + bugs.
    I thought we had all the Bug Features we needed. Or are these Feature Bugs?
    EspHack and WesleyBPeres like this.
    12-20-2015 10:09 AM
    Can anyone offer a logical, useful reason for landscape mode on the Start screen?
    It just seems like a waste of time to me, and implementation seems sketchy. Imagine a Start screen with many apps and folders, it would take 2-3 times longer to scroll in landscape than portrait and groupings will almost certainly move around when switching between the modes - just as it did in 8.1 with tablets.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    12-20-2015 10:18 AM
    Maybe you're already holding the device in landscape, or switching among several apps in landscape and you need to go to Start to open yet another landscape app. Then you might think it's an annoying waste of time to reorient the device to portrait, find and open the app, then reorient the device to landscape again. I don't often use landscape myself, but that seems like one possible reason.
    Bobcat665 and EspHack like this.
    12-20-2015 10:34 AM
    Can anyone offer a logical, useful reason for landscape mode on the Start screen?
    It just seems like a waste of time to me, and implementation seems sketchy. Imagine a Start screen with many apps and folders, it would take 2-3 times longer to scroll in landscape than portrait and groupings will almost certainly move around when switching between the modes - just as it did in 8.1 with tablets.
    Just because you think it will be like this doesn't means it has to be like this....there are WAY too many ways you could design a new form factor ( landscape mode ) . I leave this job to professionals but for just an idea , how about homescreen splitting in two parts , one traditional startscreen and other fastlane type screen ( used to be in nokia x series)....just an example.....
    12-20-2015 10:37 AM
    Honestly before continuum I thought landscape start screen was a waste of time, but with continuum in order to have the same style start menu as I'm desktop I think a landscape start screen could be important.
    EspHack likes this.
    12-20-2015 11:45 AM
    Honestly before continuum I thought landscape start screen was a waste of time, but with continuum in order to have the same style start menu as I'm desktop I think a landscape start screen could be important.
    Exactly..... Landscape can offer a different dimension to how we use our phones.
    12-20-2015 11:55 AM
    Landscape is very useful. I often am in landscape mode in apps, games, and everytime I want to go to start I have to twist the phone and it's annoying.
    All they have to do is rotate the tiles and arrange based on screen size. It will be much easier on the large screen devices like the XL. But then you would scroll right instead of scrolling down.
    12-20-2015 02:57 PM
    Landscape support is sorely needed, I recall on the touch pro 2 you had two start screens. One for portrait and landscape, sliding the keyboard out would switch to the latter - rather seamlessly at that.

If we do get qwerty slider phones, that would address the crowd would won't nothing less than a physical keyboard. Albeit partially, we also do need portrait keyboard sliders i.e dell venue pro (Wp7).

Maybe you're already holding the device in landscape, or switching among several apps in landscape and you need to go to Start to open yet another landscape app. Then you might think it's an annoying waste of time to reorient the device to portrait, find and open the app, then reorient the device to landscape again. I don't often use landscape myself, but that seems like one possible reason.
    I can give you two - phones like these running WM10:

200902181418htctouchpro2live11.jpgnokia-e7-00-7.jpg
    12-20-2015 06:38 PM
    Yes, the touch pro 2 had all features I needed, screen was too small. The email and internet explorer were outdated.
    Instead of upgrading the hardware and software, they started over! Leaving out everything including copy,paste.
    Sorry for the rant, but yes landscape worked everywhere and we had a keyboard to boot.
    12-21-2015 07:59 AM
    Most of the apps work in landscape, but when you want to switch the app the phone works horrible especially if you use a mouse. All they have to do is to rotate the icons and make the mouse move left-right when I move it left-right not bottom - top.
    12-21-2015 09:57 AM
    There have been a plethora of design concepts on uservoice, here, msdev and neowin forums over the last few years. Some of the best revert somewhat to a combination of the WIn10 and Win8/8.1 desktop models (key point - using groups) in order to make the transition between portrait and landscape more manageable and predictable.

I find myself using landscape mode often now than I did previously (WP user for at least 4 years now) - in the past it was predominantly for Web Browsing, but as other applications have matured on the platform and we see more developers coming onboard I'm using more and more apps more frequently in landscape modes - and switching between apps, start screen and task switcher is very inconsistent.

For instance - why is the task-switcher landscape when the start menu isn't? That seems to defy logic to me as for the designers to accept that sufficient use of the device will require the task-switcher to be 'friendly' in landscape mode they must also apply that same logic to the design of the key centre of the device - i.e. the start menu.

Anyway, this was only meant to be a very short post, as per most discussions here - post feedback in the feedback app (there are many, some very upvoted, threads on landscape mode), that's why it's there. Remember WindowsCentral is a great site for us to all network, discuss, rant, moan and praise the system, but MS don't spend their time here soaking in the comments.
    Arunabha Goswami likes this.
    12-21-2015 02:06 PM
29 12