Cortana has lost her voice

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just installed W10M on my Lumia 1520 after a break from preview testing.

My problem is: Cortana won't talk. If I ask it a question it recognises my speech just fine, and then the red circle at the top of the screen pulsates, which I think means it "thinks" it is talking, but no sound is produced.

If I go to Settings | Time & Language | Speech there are three speech languages installed (Chinese, English UK, English US). The text-to-speech voice is set to Microsoft Susan and the speed slider is in the middle. I've tried changing the default speech language from English UK to English US and Chinese, but nothing works.

In case it's something wrong with the loudspeaker in my phone, I've dialled my voicemails and I can listen to them through the earpiece or in loudspeaking mode (which uses the speaker at the bottom), so I don't think there's a hardware fault.

Could anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? Many thanks for your help.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Just installed W10M on my Lumia 1520 after a break from preview testing.

My problem is: Cortana won't talk. If I ask it a question it recognises my speech just fine, and then the red circle at the top of the screen pulsates, which I think means it "thinks" it is talking, but no sound is produced.

If I go to Settings | Time & Language | Speech there are three speech languages installed (Chinese, English UK, English US). The text-to-speech voice is set to Microsoft Susan and the speed slider is in the middle. I've tried changing the default speech language from English UK to English US and Chinese, but nothing works.

In case it's something wrong with the loudspeaker in my phone, I've dialled my voicemails and I can listen to them through the earpiece or in loudspeaking mode (which uses the speaker at the bottom), so I don't think there's a hardware fault.

Could anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? Many thanks for your help.
Same here.. When i click at the button & ask her something it does not say listening(like on 8.1) and pulsates and then crashes

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Have u tried swiping the desired speech language to the top of the list?

Thanks for your reply. They won't swipe (I assume you mean what I call "drag"?) In the section called Speech language, the languages are in the following order:

Chinese (Simplified, China)
Installed

English (United Kingdom)

English (United States)
Installed

There doesn't seem to be any way of changing that order, nor of deleting the unwanted Chinese one.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Just to let you know I've mended it, although I've no idea why it worked.

The solution? I just went into Settings and did a reset. Now Cortana talks again. Very strange.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb