How do I get Maps voice directions to share my music Bluetooth stream/"path"?

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Greetings!

I recently got my Dual-SIM 950 working with my Toyota's audio "app" so that I can stream music over Bluetooth to my car in this other thread here. So far the music audio is working fine, although there were a couple of breaks in the audio coming from my Pandora app.

Last night I tried using Pandora and Maps at the same time over my music Bluetooth stream/"path" to my car's audio app. With my previous phone the music would play and the map software would quiet it down (or pause it briefly) to give me an audible turn direction, without changing to a different Bluetooth "path" such as my Bluetooth hands free phone connection/"path".

However in my test last night with my 950 I was playing music via Pandora over my Bluetooth connection just fine, but every time I would get an audible turn direction the Maps app would use phone to call my car and play the audio over what I guess is my hands free Phone "path". After the turn direction was over the phone would hang up and the music would resume shortly there after. I don't know why it's doing this, and it is quite distracting as the music completely cuts off and there is silence for a second or so while the phone calls my car to give me the direction (which often misses the first word which is also a problem).

Does anyone know if there is a setting to make the Maps app use the same Bluetooth stream/"path" to my car's Audio app as the music streaming from my 950? I don't want to miss any of the words from the direction and I would like to avoid the distracting silences switching from the music "path" to the phone "path".

I hope that made sense.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I tried another test with my wife's 4Runner last night, which has a more up to date system, and experienced the same result. Music played through the Bluetooth stream to the car's audio app, but then switched to the hands free dialing stream every time a turn direction was announced.

Is anyone getting Maps' turn directions to work over their music stream?

Last edited:

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Same issues here. It's a real pain in the ***. It's also confusing my vehicles ICE system and just plain stops working after a while when played loads of instructions in short space of time.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you emigrating for confirming i wasnt the only one!

The issue escalated from an annoyance to a problem today when on 3 different instances the car switched back from the hands free voice directions to music. During those three instances, the car radio started squelching garbled ear piercing noise really loud. I had to turn the radio off and on to restore normal audio. This was really weird, and only happened the 3 times out of many, but it is definitely a problem as it is a serious distraction when driving in the rain.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the turn by turn voice directions go through normal Bluetooth audio, I'm all ears.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Last night on my way home I decided go try Maps without any music playing and it still switched go hands free. At this point I have to think using the hands free Bluetooth stream versus the music stream is hard coded into the app.

I'm going to try Waze next and see if it is any better.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Last night I tried Waze and it worked as you would expect. The sound came through the music stream with no issues.

So this appears to be an issue with the Maps app. Hopefully the right peope are aware of this and are working on it.

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that the maps app uses the built-in Cortana voice for announcing directions. This is going to the hands free 'path' as you call it since WP 8.1 was released. Also annoys me as hell since they changed it.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
While that may well be the case there is still a difference in UX between 8.1 and 10. I was able to use navigation and music simultaneously on my previous 1520 and 640 - this just isn't viable any more.

Michael Rivers

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
It has always worked this way for me in my Toyota with 8.1 and 10, HERE Drive and Maps. I like that I can listen to the radio in my car and get voice directions at the same time, which wouldn't work if the directions were going over the audio connection.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just saw the change log for the new OS relase revison .63 has turn by turn directions over Bluetooth. That is a VERY welcome change!

Hopefully this causes the Cortana app stop opening sometimes when the phone is switching from the Bluetooth music stream to the hands free stream and back. That is very dangerous to have another app randomly open when you are trying to drive.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sadly I am on build 107 now and map directions still cause the phone too call my car. I'm not sure if there is some setting somewhere I need to tweak to enable this functionality since it's supposed to be in there by now.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
At least you get voice directions!

On my 950 (non Insider), I have BT connection for phone which works well (VW), but absolutely no voice guidance on MS Maps or Here Maps, just silence. :angry:

Soundtweaker

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem but when I tried voice using just a portable Bluetooth speaker you can hear voice nav and music just fine.
So it must be the voice nav maps app is not working with certain auto Bluetooth profiles. BTW I can hear voice nav in my car if I turn the volume all the way up but just barely so it's not muted, just extremely low.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb