Windows Maps vs. Maps+ (Google?)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I just made the jump to the latest version of Windows 10 on my device, and learned through a little research that HERE Maps / Drive have essentially been replaced by Windows Maps. Would that be correct?

I also installed Maps+ on my device (which I had on 8.1) and it looks like both are somewhat similar, although it looks like Maps+ uses Google services for some features.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which, if either, is the best replacement for HERE Maps & Drive?

(Also would love a good replacement for City Lens and Transit if possible. Or are they incorporated into Windows Maps as well?)

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I just made the jump to the latest version of Windows 10 on my device, and learned through a little research that HERE Maps / Drive have essentially been replaced by Windows Maps. Would that be correct?

I also installed Maps+ on my device (which I had on 8.1) and it looks like both are somewhat similar, although it looks like Maps+ uses Google services for some features.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which, if either, is the best replacement for HERE Maps & Drive?

(Also would love a good replacement for City Lens and Transit if possible. Or are they incorporated into Windows Maps as well?)

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

I used to use an app that drew from Google Maps simply because it allowed me access to Street View. Bing Maps now has their own street view in certain areas, so that's all I use now. Bing Maps also has local transit directions much like GMaps, but I don't know if it produces bus arrival times. I would suggest using both apps until you get accustomed to what each offers as I did before. City Lens no longer exists in W10 AFAIK, but local shop/attractions info can be found via Cortana.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I used to use an app that drew from Google Maps simply because it allowed me access to Street View. Bing Maps now has their own street view in certain areas, so that's all I use now. Bing Maps also has local transit directions much like GMaps, but I don't know if it produces bus arrival times. I would suggest using both apps until you get accustomed to what each offers as I did before. City Lens no longer exists in W10 AFAIK, but local shop/attractions info can be found via Cortana.

Thanks for the quick reply Witness, much appreciated. Apparently some have been successful in sideloading the Here Apps, but I have had no such luck. Will try using both and see what I like best. My preference is to use MS services if possible. Not a huge fan of Google in general.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett