The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-29-2015 10:13 AM
211 1234 ...
tools
    The man spot on, the moment you start selling to the masses it no longer BETA, its public. Now, its not finished, its buggy as hell and seems to get worst as it goes, but its not BETA! Cortana for example, its horrible, been horrible and will continue to be horrible. I do have to give it to M$, they are consistent, Cortana even managed to break android phones for some of its users.
    12-23-2015 11:06 PM
    To be honest, Mr Fisher has never liked Windows phone anyway, just look at the other reviews of the platform he has done.

I like the fact Microsoft are, work in progress on this platform, its just like the teething issues with the PC windows 10, gradually they get sorted, it keeps you interested in the development, iOS is just too boring, ok it might just work, but its tedious, does nothing for me what so ever, android is heading that way. I remember the days of windows mobile on my old Dell Axim, If I wanted to be mainstream i'd get an iphone and slide into the same slippers everyone else has on. With Android updates are few and far between unless you have a nexus device and that has more than its fair share of teething issues, generally its incompatibility with older apps and newer operating systems, always going to be the case.

Windows phone 10 is superb, ok might not be perfect, but things like outlook, calendar, mail, groove music one drive sync, live tiles, pin to start, people integration and overall fluidity of the UI, make it stand out far beyond either Android or iOS.

People are just boring and constantly wanted to slate anything the media slate, don't be a sheep (not that there is anything wrong with being a fluffy creature) be individual and enjoy the little teething troubles, its called character, most people will disagree, but then you may have mistaken me for someone who give a S@&t
    editguy and Ntropy99 like this.
    12-24-2015 04:40 AM
    Harsh review. The negative tone is strong yet he doesn't actually mention that many bugs when you listen properly.

No idea why he counts Windows Phone 8 games crashing on Windows 10 Mobile as a problem with the phone when it's obviously a developer oversight that can and has been fixed with app updates (see Minecraft).
    Nogitsune Micah and editguy like this.
    12-24-2015 05:50 AM
    To be honest, Mr Fisher has never liked Windows phone anyway, just look at the other reviews of the platform he has done.
    For someone that owns multiple Windows Phone devices and has used them as his daily driver for years that is hard to believe. He's even defended WP numerous times in podcasts when it's been ridiculed by the Apple and Android weenies that he works with on that site. If he didn't like the platform he sure has hidden it well.

An unfinished and poorly designed OS on slapped together and uninspiring hardware has issues. Well duh.
    12-24-2015 06:00 AM
    I agree completely. I always said I don't know why they didn't just launch this phone a year ago with 8.1 but lacking some of the "features". Then when the OS was ready have the 950 family be first inline to get the OS update and firmware to open up the features".
    Back in the day of Windows 95... Updates to software didn't really happen and if you were using PCs back in that day, Windows 95 got delayed 2-3 times at least. Although there was some bugs when it hit (going from 3.1 to Windows 95 was a complete change, still the basic design for even Windows 10), it was over all solid for it's day and very stable (depending on hardware of course). I used build 224 for a long time on Windows 95 and loved every min of it...Most people who had Windows 95, had no major updates on it, just updates that came with software (microsoft included some updates needed for the software WITH the software)

Today, it's just a push it out the door to meet a deadline.. Although Windows 10 Mobile is pretty good, it's far from finished. Windows 10 PC had some major bugs on release (that had 1000's of confirmed issues but, were in the RTM). Both of these products should of been delayed a few months at least, it's not always about the BIG bugs, it's the minor stuff that bother people the most.

If you follow Microsoft history with their OS releases. Even Vista, for everyone who complains about it, Was ROCK solid OS after Service Pack 1. When Windows XP came out, it suffered with poor reviews and most people stayed on 98se, till at least service pack 1...and still today after that first service pack, it's one of Microsoft's best OS's they have ever made.

Microsoft makes great software, no question but, if they can figure it out and really get a clue on what people want....to figure out how to get software to the Service Pack 1 level ON RELEASE they might be a better company.

No idea why he counts Windows Phone 8 games crashing on Windows 10 Mobile as a problem with the phone when it's obviously a developer oversight that can and has been fixed with app updates (see Minecraft).
    This is EXACTLY what a fanboy says. Your defending a WIndows Phone app when you should not be. The isuse is, A EXPENSIVE phone was released, there is a applictions in the store TO BUY.

Windows phone 7,8, 10, what ever, they should work across the board, or should not be available to buy.

This is a big problem if apps that you PAY FOR, crash when you use them. Even in the preview, apps do crash, ones that COST money, not free no name basement devs. Then you have other apps, they worked fine in past builds but, they do not work on my device ? WTF ?

A few weeks ago, they had a 0.10 sale on a bunch of Windows Phone Xbox games, I got like 7 of them, did you know 4 of them I cant even use on Windows 10 phone ? Really ?

It's a joke really, His review was dead on with this aspect.
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 12-24-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    12-24-2015 07:49 AM
    Windows 10 Mobile has been great on my Nokia Lumia 830. I've had two instances of battery drain, and a few crashes and hangs involving the Messaging application and occasionally some update errors with the Stores that are always solved if I just try updating the application again. I'm not saying it's perfect, because it's not, but I've been testing since the very beginning and I always saw the potential. Even now it's perfectly usable and I wouldn't go back to Windows Phone 8.1 for anything. Windows 10 Mobile is a joy to use, and, yes, it's unfinished, but I've tested it on several devices and I've been loving it. I've had it on four phones, going to be five (maybe even six) soon, and I've not had these issues described in this video. It's unfortunate that they're having them, and I understand that they're there, but they don't affect me.

I have absolutely zero reason to stop using Windows 10 Mobile.
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-24-2015 09:34 AM
    Awful review. He spends time reviewing the overall OS and less time on the phone.

How do you say iOS and Android have bugs and issues yet they feel complete then a double standard that Microsoft have bugs but it isn't a finished product.

Not balanced at all.
    editguy and Ntropy99 like this.
    12-24-2015 09:54 AM
    Harsh review. The negative tone is strong yet he doesn't actually mention that many bugs when you listen properly.

Exactly. IOS games and apps often aren't always compatible with new ios versions till developer update them.

Also keeping in mind, aren't some of these apps made for windows phone 7 Aka 2010?
    Zeem Frostmaw and editguy like this.
    12-24-2015 09:57 AM
    I agree completely. I always said I don't know why they didn't just launch this phone a year ago with 8.1 but lacking some of the "features". Then when the OS was ready have the 950 family be first inline to get the OS update and firmware to open up the features".
    Then what would they have released now?

This would have been yet another phone that came before it's time. The 1020 and 1520 were awesome phones that were to advanced for the is at the time.
    12-24-2015 10:03 AM
    Really? We clearly see start menu hanging up and going black, camera errors on his device. You're being ignorant.
    Even if YOU did not have these problems and majority does, it's still a buggy OS.
    Stop defending what's wrong.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Do you have a 950 xl? According to your signature you use Android. We now have a 950 xl and have yet to see any if those issues. Just because he and others report it, doesn't mean the majority are seeing it and it doesn't mean we are defending what is wrong.
    editguy likes this.
    12-24-2015 10:06 AM
    The fact is, Microsoft is getting to comfortable with rushing stuff out the door and hiding behind slapping the "beta" label on it for four years and thinking that should be good enough. Start firing people for this, and you watch how quickly stuff actually gets done right. Whoever is sitting back and watching this happen over and over is just encouraging this amateur business practice and dumping the problem on the paying consumer.
    12-24-2015 10:07 AM
    Spot on indeed. My only disagreement is he camera review. I know half of the users seem to love it, he had nothing but good things to say about it but many of us like myself have an awful experience with photos and video, poor quality. Otherwise i cant find a single thing wrong with his review and keep in mind many of the critic reviews out there are similar, this is no secret, try going to other sites than windowscentral . This phone has so many terrible reviews its an embarrassment. I cant believe we have been waiting 2 years for this mess of a phone.
    DavidinCT and illidanx like this.
    12-24-2015 10:08 AM
    Exactly. IOS games and apps often aren't always compatible with new ios versions till developer update them.
    The HUGE differences, MOST devs will update their iOS apps. So this is not an issue on iOS, or if it is, it's very rare.

Windows Phone ? We have PLENTY of apps from WIndows Phone 7, that have NEVER been updated, the devs dont even care, as their iOS apps of the same title has been updated 20 times with new content.. even weeks ago...

Even apps that were made a few months ago are never updated on WIndows Phone but, iOS and Android...all the time.

Dont go here on this. There is apps in the store, they should work on all devices, ESP brand new $650 devices... Your another one making an excuse as a Windows Phone fanboy. Current apps saying "Not compatable with your device" or crashing, there is NO excuse for it
    12-24-2015 10:09 AM
    Honestly, I think it's a firmware issue that causes these different issues for some. I am fine with my 950XL and have a firmware version that seems newer than some people who are having issues. And I guess that's why there's an emphasis on pushing the new firmware updates. There's a huge variation of experience because of it.
    12-24-2015 10:32 AM
    Would you buy a phone that spits out that error message or crashes just after you've just taken a picture/video of your kids first piano recital, losing the moment forever?

NO! me either - these are basic SHOW STOPPING issues

They should NEVER have released this with windows 10 mobile, but with 8 and the option to update via insider if you want to get in on the stuff thay may (or may not) be ready in another six months

Huge, HUGE mistake
    Last edited by xandros9; 12-24-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: slight cleanup
    12-24-2015 10:36 AM
    Would you buy a phone that spits out that error message or crashes just after you've just taken a picture/video of your kids first piano recital, losing the moment forever?

They should NEVER have released this with windows 10 mobile, but with 8 and the option to update via insider if you want to get in on the stuff thay may (or may not) be ready in another six months

Huge, HUGE mistake

I agree. If it is anything like the insider preview than I ran last month. Store issues, massive battery drain, slow sluggish performance. App crashes. So disappointed as Windows 10 on desktop/tablets runs great. Even at release It didn't have any of the issues I had with W10m.

Sent from mTalk
    12-24-2015 11:11 AM

Huge, HUGE mistake
    Or at least an option to install 8.1....Wait, The phone should not even been released with the buggy OS in it....
    12-24-2015 11:12 AM

Huge, HUGE mistake
    Or at least an option to install 8.1....Wait, The phone should not even been released with the buggy OS in it....
    12-24-2015 11:13 AM

I like the fact Microsoft are, work in progress on this platform, its just like the teething issues with the PC windows 10, gradually they get sorted, it keeps you interested in the development, iOS is just too boring, ok it might just work, but its tedious, does nothing for me what so ever, android is heading that way. I remember the days of windows mobile on my old Dell Axim, If I wanted to be mainstream i'd get an iphone and slide into the same slippers everyone else has on. With Android updates are few and far between unless you have a nexus device and that has more than its fair share of teething issues, generally its incompatibility with older apps and newer operating systems, always going to be the case.

Windows phone 10 is superb, ok might not be perfect, but things like outlook, calendar, mail, groove music one drive sync, live tiles, pin to start, people integration and overall fluidity of the UI, make it stand out far beyond either Android or iOS.

People are just boring and constantly wanted to slate anything the media slate, don't be a sheep (not that there is anything wrong with being a fluffy creature) be individual and enjoy the little teething troubles, its called character, most people will disagree, but then you may have mistaken me for someone who give a S@&t
    Giving Microsoft a pass for the lack of quality and stability is simply lowering one's expectations. That's fine, but when one claims that the only reason for going with a non-Microsoft platform is because people are "sheep" then that a reveals a fanaticism towards a company based solely on emotions...ignoring the possibility that the quality of those alternatives is better. Note: Android and iOS don't need to be perfect, just better than Windows Phone (for what the customer expects).

Saying that devices that "just work" are boring leaves me to believe that you are more interested in the "excitement" of the unknown of "will tapping that icon work or will it cause my device to reboot". If one is using the device as a tool for exploration and tinkering that's great, but as a tool to be relied upon, not so much.
    tgp, Rich215, a5cent and 5 others like this.
    12-24-2015 11:42 AM
    the "excitement" of the unknown of "will tapping that icon work or will it cause my device to reboot".
    I just had to tell you that I think this is funny. I LOL'd during my lunch break at work!
    WillysJeepMan, 920Walker and mousz like this.
    12-24-2015 11:47 AM
    Call it Beta, Unfinished, Commercial Release, or what ever you want...it is all the same when it will not function properly for 99.9% of the people that have a 950 or 950XL.

Microsoft brought a crappy unfinished OS to the market with Win10 on these 2 phones.

I would love to put these 2 people in a room together and let them switch phones for 10 minutes:
    person A with a "my 950950LX...works perfectly well with Win10" in a room with
    person B with a "my 950/950XL phone is so messed up I cant make basic functions work well at all"

Will they still be so narrow minded they will not see the others experiences and opinions then?
    920Walker likes this.
    12-24-2015 11:56 AM
    Could you please cite your source for the 99% stat?
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    12-24-2015 12:04 PM
    Personally, I don't think anyone should buy these phones. They are obviously stopgaps as Microsoft seems to now be looking to the "Panos/Surface phone" as their "REAL" smartphone and the OS itself is unfinished and will probably remain so till that new savior phone is launched. Not seeing the appeal of being an unpaid beta tester while Microsoft does their best work on ios and android.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    12-24-2015 12:10 PM
    I don't have anything to add to this thread.

I'm just popping in to thank the OP for the link, and state for the record that I think this was a very well done review. Michael Fisher is knowledgeable and fair in his criticism. He actually went to the length of visually documenting almost every bug he mentioned, which is going above and beyond what most reviewers are willing to invest in a WP review.

It's nice to read/listen to a negative review that is this well done and isn't driven primarily by ignorance or bias. Honestly, I wish all negative reviews were this good.
    12-24-2015 12:19 PM
    Could you please cite your source for the 99% stat?
    My comment for that 99.9% was meant in a general overall result of feedback from users. IE......we are not talking about a few quirks and bugs that are normal with any new software. With the extremely large amount of feedback detailing problems on such a large scale.....its obvious Win10 mobile is not even close to being ready for commercial release. Seems like half the opinions and reports are good and half are terrible.

That said.....I could get the last few builds of WIn10 previews to work fairly well with my Lumia Icons. But they are no where near as stable or productive day to day as they are with Win 8.1 on them.
    12-24-2015 12:20 PM
211 1234 ...