The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-29-2015 10:13 AM
211 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Whoa, slow down buddy... that poor keyboard did nothing to you!
    Sorry, it is this buggy app when trying to post to the forum. Often it goes rogue on what you type. I have to go back and recorrect 90% of what I put in.
    12-28-2015 04:40 AM
    WM10 brings the OS problems to the forefront. Random restarts, crashing, etc makes using the phone as a phone, camera, or email service less reliable so you can forget the app gap. It will get better hopefully, but you may have to wait several months for the improvement.
    So you've taken an interesting stance here - instead of mentioning that "we" will have to wait for improvement, you say I will have to wait for improvement? Why would I have to wait for them to resolve problems I'm not getting? Never had this phone randomly restart. I actually checked on UserVoice(Windows Feedback) to see if this was really a thing. The complaint's there, but has a tiny amount of upvotes... actually all the presented issues made by Fisher have a tiny amount of upvotes. Defintely doesn't indicate that it's a phone he should push everyone away from. But by what you say, I should have to wait several months to use my Lumia 950's camera for 4K recording... but I don't. I've been recording with it since day one and haven't run into the issue he and a small handful of users reported. Hell, I'll even shoot one now and since the common solution to people's recording problems is to use internal instead of external, I'll send to the SD Card instead of local storage.
    win_20151228_04_44_30_pro.jpgwin_20151228_04_46_01_pro.jpg
    ... definitely not a problem I'll have to wait for them to fix.

He was able to catch MS-DOS Mobile failing to install and LiveATC failing to open... so does that mean I have to wait several months for a fix? Nope. They already install and work on mine.
    win_20151228_04_37_58_pro.jpgwin_20151228_04_40_33_pro.jpg

I doubt any reasonable person is here to be an apologist for issues... but those that are simply on the outside looking in do eventually have to realize that while the proverbial sensationalist will just researchlessly believe this problem will hit everyone who buys the Lumia 950/950XL, video capturing an issue that's got 12 upvotes isn't good enough to override the tons of people within that video's comment section itself that note how they aren't having those issues.

Oh please. Because he couldn't recommend your precious and sacred 950XL he's not doing a good job? He went through two review units and both sucked.
    Uh no. He's not doing a good job because he broke a cardinal rule by forming a conclusion off too low a sample size.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 12-28-2015 at 05:11 AM.
    KimRM, Viktar H, Jeddic and 1 others like this.
    12-28-2015 05:00 AM
    Uh no. He's not doing a good job because he broke a cardinal rule by forming a conclusion off too low a sample size.
    Seriously? You expect reviewers to check a 100 Lumia 950's to come to a conclusion whether the bugs exist or not?
    12-28-2015 05:34 AM
    Oh please. Because he couldn't recommend your precious and sacred 950XL he's not doing a good job? He went through two review units and both sucked. His own experience which is what his review is about. What do you expect him to say? Instead of blaming Fisher you should be blaming MS for delivering a half-assed and embarrassing product.
    Some WP fans just cannot stand others from downplaying windows phone. Pity them.
    12-28-2015 05:35 AM
    I too felt that the review was meant to irritate people who like and use Windows phone, so that they keep the discussion going. So few people like me who believe that Michael's review was unfair, are actually right. They knowingly made it that way to gain popularity. So just ignore these reviews.
    Viktar H likes this.
    12-28-2015 05:41 AM
    I too felt that the review was meant to irritate people who like and use Windows phone, so that they keep the discussion going. So few people like me who believe that Michael's review was unfair, are actually right. They knowingly made it that way to gain popularity. So just ignore these reviews.
    Why don't you enlighten us on what you found unfair about the review. He clearly shows all the bugs that he encountered on the video itself.
    12-28-2015 05:52 AM
    This is ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

I know Michael Fisher personally, as do a number of the Mobile Nations team. He is not "unfair" he is not a sensationalist and he doesn't do a bad review to be "popular." I can't physically shake my head any more than I am right now.

He gets paid to write/produce video reviews and that's what he does. I personally think he's one of the better guys out there doing it, putting my own work to shame in that area. Don't pretend that you think you know what's going on.

Calling a writers integrity into account is not OK.
    12-28-2015 05:56 AM
    A device with the best camera (other may be close but Lumia is still ahead of them), best display (thanks to clear black tech), and something that can be converted to a PC gets a "Nope". How is that fair, especially when you know that SOFTWARE bugs are not going to stay for ever? I mean look at Win 10. It was full of bugs when it was launched on July 29. It seemed as if he was looking for a reason to bash Lumia 950 XL and unfortunately, Microsoft gave him one.
    Viktar H likes this.
    12-28-2015 06:00 AM
    A device with the best camera (other may be close but Lumia is still ahead of them), best display (thanks to clear black tech), and something that can be converted to a PC gets a "Nope". How is that fair, especially when you know that SOFTWARE bugs are not going to stay for ever? I mean look at Win 10. It was full of bugs when it was launched on July 29. It seemed as if he was looking for a reason to bash Lumia 950 XL and unfortunately, Microsoft gave him one.
    You expect him (or any of us) to review a device based on what it 'might be?'

Come on. Is this your reaction to people who don't agree with you? You're just looking silly.
    theefman, 920Walker and dannejanne like this.
    12-28-2015 06:03 AM

I searched the comments first, then realized the video was here:

and completely agree. After using a larger windows phone phone (windows MOBILE phone ? <-- naming scheme fail!) a few times again recently to attempt to record video, I was amazed at all the bugginess and UI inconsistencies. The "smoked by windows phone" contest would NOT be pretty today, with current versions.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    12-28-2015 06:07 AM
    Seriously? You expect reviewers to check a 100 Lumia 950's to come to a conclusion whether the bugs exist or not?
    Whew... this type of thread's really good at attracting people who love putting words in others mouth. No, I don't expect him to check 100 Lumias - but I do expect enough journalistic integrity such that he'd get a scope of how large this bug epidemic is before saying it's a phone he can recommend to no one. He did enough research to find that some others had the problems he had, but couldn't be bothered to get a grasp on how many people's 4K recording and such were working fine? It's no surprise that the comments section of his review has so many people noting their contrary experiences.

I don't entirely believe that. If you've been following PocketNow for a good enough length of time you'd see Fisher's not here to be a troll... but this type of review is horrifically misinforming for reasons I've addressed with picture proof in earlier posts.
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    12-28-2015 06:08 AM
    For your information, a person will review the phone for what it does now. Not after Microsoft takes it sweet time to fix all the bugs. If Microsoft didn't want the bad reviews they shouldn't have released Windows 10 Mobile in this state.

But then again, why am I even surprised? The Windows Phone Mantra has always been "the next update will fix the problems".
    theefman likes this.
    12-28-2015 06:09 AM
    This is getting way too silly. How many 950XLs is he supposed to go through before writing a review? How long does he have to wait for MS to fix it's crappy software? lol

MS should have just named it the Lumia 950XLBeta. Coming Soon edition.
    theefman and DavidinCT like this.
    12-28-2015 06:11 AM
    This is getting way too silly. How many 950XLs is he supposed to go through before writing a review? lol
    *Sigh* Refer to previous person who made this stupid comment.

Even reading this post and the replies you will see several wm10 apologists refer to the OS as beta.
    Sorry, I'm not seeing them. Ctrl+F'ed my way through the entire thread... I see people talking about those who say W10 on Lumia 950/950XL is a beta, but no one here actually saying it. Either way, if there were anyone trying to say W10 is in beta (outside of the TP program) I'd have to support Fisher in telling them to stop calling it a beta. The TP builds are betas by definition, but the version that ships with the 950/950XL is absolutely not beta software... which makes sense seeing as I don't get any of the crashing Skype Video, enormous Messaging+Skype battery drain or Loading/Resuming I got when I had my 640, 930 and 1020 in the W10TP program.
    Last edited by TLRtheory; 12-28-2015 at 06:26 AM.
    12-28-2015 06:15 AM
    For people wondering if they should buy the 950 or the 950XL i will just say, go check out the reviews on the retail sites from customers who has bought them. They are almost 100% positive.
    Jeddic likes this.
    12-28-2015 07:01 AM
    I've gone tired after reading all the pages here. Look, every OS has it's problems, some are more severe whilst others are not. Remember when IOS 8.0.1 came out and broke the most important thing to a phone on the brand new released iphone 6 and 6 plus: the GSM connection? now that's a problem, not an app crashing because the dev was too lazy to update it..even on Android and IOS old apps crash if no update to support the new OS is made.
    As for the latest Lumia phones, I also do have a 950 and besides the strange horizontal line that appears when I try to view a 4K video captured by the camera, I haven't had any issues. Battery is fine, does not overheat. The only thing that is getting me mad!!! is the fact that the latest firmware+radio stack update still depends on the mobile carrier, and mine is too lazy again to deliver.
    I am not saying that MS does not have it's guilt. It does have, and a lot, especially Satya for laying off so many engineers resulting in very poor quality control. Is the Windows 10 a rushed OS? Well for me it looks like it is. why? I do not know, but it is clear that it is not polished enough for public use yet.
    Do I like windows 10 mobile? Honestly I do not, mainly because the entire design looks like it was made by a drunk man, but for me it does it's job so this is why is use it. Many Insiders pointed out several design flaws but MS seems to ignore them (People app is a good example with it's totally wrong circle model when all the OS is iconic!!). I have switched from platform to platform, tried before trolled :) and the one thing I miss on Ms's side is the great customer service from Apple. Seriously, those guys have engineers who treat issues, not some guys who read steps from a piece of paper like MS has. I call MS in UK, someone from India answers with totally no knowledge about anything related to phones, OSs, issues or whatever. NONE, ZERO knowledge...what the...???
    So, complaining that you have issues on your brand new Lumia is not a bad thing, it is your right, but many users have done the worst thing possible that resulted in many of their problems: restored from an older lumia model's backup. DON'T!
    12-28-2015 07:11 AM
    *Sigh* Refer to previous person who made this stupid comment.
    I see. I guess the 950XL isn't the only thing that's having issues around here.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    12-28-2015 07:11 AM
    I know Michael Fisher personally, as do a number of the Mobile Nations team. He is not "unfair" he is not a sensationalist and he doesn't do a bad review to be "popular." I can't physically shake my head any more than I am right now.
    Half of the review consists of only 2 bugs - MS-DOS (joke app) not starting and Camera 4K recording problem.
    But those bugs are showing repeatedly (3+ times ) on the video to make it look like the phone is plagued with bugs.
    How is that not sensationalistic?
    TLRtheory and Jeddic like this.
    12-28-2015 07:38 AM
    There is a lot of negativity on this thread.

I have a 930 with 8.1. I prefer the 950 XL with Windows 10 Beta. It is a superior phone, the software is much better. The reboots, while annoying, don't bother me that much.

When the updates roll through, it won't be problematic.

To be honest, I am happy that Microsoft released this phone earlier than stability would require - the software upgrade and hardware update is welcomed.

I am more worried about apps updating to work with W10M. Some of my favourite apps - like Mixradio - don't function well at the moment.
    12-28-2015 07:54 AM
    You're clearly as deluded as the rest then Mr Fischer is one of the best reviewers on the planet and not biased. The problem with Window's phone user's, I am one myself, is that they are like Apple fan boys and can't take the heat. The 950XL has its problems and that's it. Like it or lump it.
    theefman and Kram Sacul like this.
    12-28-2015 08:27 AM

Funny, never come across such a request when the review has been positive.....
    12-28-2015 08:40 AM
    Windows Mobile = BlackBerry OS
    12-28-2015 08:59 AM
    The 950XL has its problems and that's it. Like it or lump it.
    Pretty sure this thread is full of people liking it and lumping it. :P
    12-28-2015 09:08 AM
    This is ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

He gets paid to write/produce video reviews and that's what he does. I personally think he's one of the better guys out there doing it, putting my own work to shame in that area. Don't pretend that you think you know what's going on.

Calling a writers integrity into account is not OK.
    Not to mention that if people actually followed Michael's work they'd know he is one of the last "Windows Phone defenders" at PocketNow (and the only active defender actually). Even when everyone else is turning their backs on WP, Michael keeps crossing his fingers for the OS and wanting to love it. If he's not able to, it's most certainly NOT because he doesn't want to.
    And he absolutely had no obligation to do that since PocketNow isn't even a website like Windows Central that is Microsoft-focused and has a pretty close relationship with Microsoft people. So he could simply trash the phones and the OS to no end. Like almost every non-Microsoft-fan website does.

So yeah. It's absolutely ludicrous.

Besides...Rubino's own review of the phones isn't THAT much better. Actually I think the general consensus has been that the phones are fine on the hardware aspect and are only pulled down by what is a Beta of the OS at best.
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    12-28-2015 09:26 AM
    For people wondering if they should buy the 950 or the 950XL i will just say, go check out the reviews on the retail sites from customers who has bought them. They are almost 100% positive.
    Yes. All 5 people that bought the phone love it.
    Kram Sacul and addicusbrown like this.
    12-28-2015 09:26 AM
211 ... 45678 ...