This guy hits the nail on the head with Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
To the people who have zero problems with their Lumia 950: What are your settings? Do you have a Skype account signed in? Do you use Windows Hello? Do you use "Hey Cortana"? Camera backup? Text message Backup? What are your background apps?

I'm just wondering. I've had a mess of problems and I want my phone to run optimally. I'm willing to give up a few features if I know my phone will work a lot better.
I use the phone with everything enabled. I'm signed into my Microsoft account which is also my skype as integrated. I have office 365. I have a Groove music pass. Photos uploaded automatically. OneDrive syncs perfectly. Seriously, everything about my phone and my accounts work perfectly. That's all I can say.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use the phone with everything enabled. I'm signed into my Microsoft account which is also my skype as integrated. I have office 365. I have a Groove music pass. Photos uploaded automatically. OneDrive syncs perfectly. Seriously, everything about my phone and my accounts work perfectly. That's all I can say.

Same here, pretty much. However, I did setup my battery saver allowed background apps manually. But I haven't used battery saver mode since I am always above the threshold. Full disclosure: I do not purposely avoid charging my phone just to see if it will last forever. :)
I'm a modern road warrior and have the ability to charge "devices" almost anywhere I go. Bedside, Desk-Office, truck, motorcycle.......

I also feel that until a new device, especially a phone, has gone a few days without me messing with it under-the-hood, I should reserve my final assessment. There is nothing normal about the first few days of a new gadget. I hardly put it down while I explore it, configure it, and TEST its capabilities. For the 950XL, it is a far better phone today than it was on Thanksgiving day. For many reasons, of course.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of negativity on this thread.

I have a 930 with 8.1. I prefer the 950 XL with Windows 10 Beta. It is a superior phone, the software is much better. The reboots, while annoying, don't bother me that much.

LOL, Spoken as a TRUE Windows Phone ******. This is what you would expect from a cheapo $99 phone non contract, older, buggy software. At $650 going head to head with a iPhone 6+, and the flagship Samsung, you should not be getting beta software or software with the level of bugs it DOES HAVE (no matter how many people here say it's perfect, there is 10X as many people who have issues with it).

The 950 and 950XL should of been shipped with 8.1 on it with features disabled with a note Windows 10 will be coming to enable all features on the phone.

A solid OS, and when Windows 10 GOT to the point where it was like 8.1 is, then upgrade it...

Windows 10 mobile will be great the problem is after about 5 more updates (Preview builds), they SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to sell a $650 phone with so many bugs..... should be a law against it...but, now publicly it just damages the Microsoft brand.

It really should of been delayed a few months but, this is a Microsoft trend... and will be their demize some day...

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
For him to have such consistency getting the same errors on multiple phones, over multiple OS upgrades makes me wonder if he isn't restoring a "corrupt" backup to the phone each time. (Not that there should ever be a corrupt backup to restore, but if he somehow got one from a prior device that isn't a fault of the 950XL.)

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have aLumia 1020 & a Lumia 950 running Windows 10 mobile. they are both runnng fine and I think 10 runs better on the 1020 than 8.1 did.

I have three phones with W10 10586.36 (630, 1020 and 640XL). I won't deny that W10M runs fine, but for me it is still a Beta:
- It is inconsistent.
- It has a lot of basic functionality issues, at least in my case with music streaming through bluetooth (funny thing is that after disconnecting my bluetooth speakers, my devices get stuck in "silent mode" having full volume setting).
- With multitasking, even after closing every open app, instead of returning to start screen, windows resumes apps that were closed a long time ago and didn't appear on multitasking screen.
- "Resuming" screen is still there, even worst, it appears when trying to reach the start screen (for me this is Unacceptable).
- Sometimes "Groove Music" crashes after resuming it.

It's like Microsoft had hired amateur developers to make all the stuff. Personally I am fed up of this situation. Enough!Issue001.pngIssue002.png

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Ive actually had no major problems with my 950xl, except occasionally when i goto send a text, there is a delay before it shows that I sent it - but other than that its good 95% of the time

jack brallier

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. I ran the preview version on my 1520 before making the jump to the 950. Its a lovely OS but issues from the preview are still present. Mine has issues with Messages and attaching photo's to it. Random Restarts or app crashes. Annoying but it should improve with time.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is no such thing as beta software anymore. Software improves continually and is released every few weeks.

When it comes to Microsoft.....Beta and Buggy are part of the same thing....

Key thing, a top end priced phone should not of been released with Buggy or Beta software on it...

Sandeep Punia

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I do not know, where these issues came from. I have 640 XL and none of these issue I ever faced, even battery life, responsiveness and performance is very good, not excellent though!!. I think, 950 series is much better than 650 :). :eek:rly::eek:rly::eek:rly:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not Windows mobile, its Windows 10. No body even knows about Blackberry outside USA. Windows on the other hand is the other name of PC. Even your Android apps are made on a Windows PC.

It's not Windows 10, it's Windows 10 MOBILE, aka, Windows Phone 10. Just because WP10 and Windows 10 share a common base doesn't mean what you have on your phone is Windows 10. It isn't.

Also, BlackBerry is pretty well known in Europe too. So...

quickwipe0ut

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
LOL, Spoken as a TRUE Windows Phone ******. This is what you would expect from a cheapo $99 phone non contract, older, buggy software. At $650 going head to head with a iPhone 6+, and the flagship Samsung, you should not be getting beta software or software with the level of bugs it DOES HAVE (no matter how many people here say it's perfect, there is 10X as many people who have issues with it).

The 950 and 950XL should of been shipped with 8.1 on it with features disabled with a note Windows 10 will be coming to enable all features on the phone.

A solid OS, and when Windows 10 GOT to the point where it was like 8.1 is, then upgrade it...

Windows 10 mobile will be great the problem is after about 5 more updates (Preview builds), they SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to sell a $650 phone with so many bugs..... should be a law against it...but, now publicly it just damages the Microsoft brand.

It really should of been delayed a few months but, this is a Microsoft trend... and will be their demize some day...

Have you actually ever looked at how the software was on the iPhones during release or even flagship Android devices on release. You have to compare it to other devices, compare the other devices in the same state. iPhones have had huge issues during major ios updates and many issues during launch. It is a new product and there will always be fixes. The reason for this is that it is impossible to catch every bug before a release when you don't have the sheer number of people to test a device and find those bugs.

sjraman79

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
If you see the review from 1:51 to 1:56. he has 3 different start / glance screen (blue/Green/Black). How to make that. Appreciate any suggestion.

Rican914

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Well I have to agree, there were some issues with the first 950xl I bought and I had to return it. Now, 4 weeks have passed and it's working great. Loving it. What I don't understand is why Microsoft has not taken out any ads for the 950? I know if you got to there sites it's everywhere but other than that, there's nothing. It's as though the phones,(950 & 950xl) were not ready for the general public and we're the testers of the phone. Problem is, I paid a lot of money for my phone and am not getting paid by Microsoft.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

L830 with 8.1 Denim. Updated after a backup and hard reset to version .29. Hard reset and then installed .36. Then updated installed default applications. Next I did a recovery. After the recovery all my apps reinstalled, my start screen was as it was on 8.1. I've tested pretty much every feature and messaging app....which had all been restored with messaging history with threads and email threads.

Now it has been a week and I am dealing with zero issues. Phone battery life is not good but excellent after tweaking via battery saver background running apps.

Now you may not have had this experience but it is fact we will read on these forums not posts like mine but posts from those having issues. Does this mean the platform and software is critically flawed and to be completely avoided by all? I have a difficult time believing the majority are dealing with what you are. It's unfortunate you are having issues but posting with the blanket statement you have has me visualizing a youngster stamping their feet. I am bewildered why those experiencing issues try to compare with other platforms that have their own proven history of being released to the general market full of flaws both minor and major....and then patches released causing device bricking and major dysfunction.

Why are the standards for perfection so high for MS which are undertaking the unification of the Win 10 platform while other platforms get a pass on even worse buggy products. YMMV but my device is now an even better daily driver than when it ran 8.1. I read daily announcements of pending and or released Win10 universal apps. Frankly it is getting tiresome reading the petty hate posts. MS knows it needs to clean up especially Win 10 mobile and will continue to do so. If you can't get your device to work currently, remain with 8.1 or leave the platform for the "perfect" experience you'll find on the alternatives (sarcasm).

For those hating on the Windows 10 desktop I say you need someone knowledgeable to look at your computer. I'm an IT professional and after updating new and legacy desktops and notebooks will adamantly say it is the best Windows OS yet....solid and feature rich. Side by side with other desktop OS's it is the one to aspire to now. There is a renaissance going on at MS right now with innovation and new paradigms being built and established. Rather than the demise of MS you portend, the future looks brighter currently than it has in a long time.

Hope your experience improves. Good luck.

hwangeruk

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This is like a bad game launch. A few niggles get overly stated and given too much "air time". MS did seem to rush from Beta to 950 release. And the store bugs are unforgiveable. I've only had the store update bugs, but its the core part of a smartphone experience. MS really need to get their sh*t together on that. Otherwise the 950 has been excellent. I have a hard time choosing between my 950 and iPhone 6s.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
If you see the review from 1:51 to 1:56. he has 3 different start / glance screen (blue/Green/Black). How to make that. Appreciate any suggestion.

I am assuming that those were Screenshots and he was just viewing them via the Photos app. (I didn't notice any live tiles changing while he was looking at them.)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you actually ever looked at how the software was on the iPhones during release or even flagship Android devices on release. You have to compare it to other devices, compare the other devices in the same state. iPhones have had huge issues during major ios updates and many issues during launch. It is a new product and there will always be fixes. The reason for this is that it is impossible to catch every bug before a release when you don't have the sheer number of people to test a device and find those bugs.

Has the iPhone ever been released right after a software update ? I clearly remember talking to people who UPGRADED to the newest iPhone software but, had a mess but, people who got a new iPhone with the new software installed had no complaints (accept it was an iPhone but, that is for another discussion). I honestly think bug testing from Apple is far better than Microsoft... BY A LONG SHOT.

And for Android, OEMS are allowed to customize them with their own front end. Sure they have minor bugs, but, each OEM is selling their product with their name, they are not selling Android, they are selling HTC or Samsung so their front ends are a little less bug free. Android devices come with their own bugs and not really the OEM's fault more of the base OS under it all. It IS something to be expected from Android devices.

I am NOT talking about upgrades to current phones, in no way or form or the Preview Program... I am talking about you walking into a store, plopping $650 big ones and getting a brand new phone that is in a SEALED retail box, that is LOADED with a ton of bugs (crashes, OS screen just disappearing, 1/2 finished features, the LIST goes on).

For the record, I am a big Windows Phone fan, I have had Microsoft Windows mobile/HPC/PocketPC devices from 1.0 and with phones, maybe about 10-15 devices now. I see the issues, fan or not, it's a MAJOR problem for me to see Microsoft do this. For people to defend a retail phone with this many bugs and make all these excuses is just showing one thing, Your Windows fan boys.

This is just like iSheep or Fandroids (as they are referred to) you are too blind to see the problems with the OS of your choice.

Sure, I am a fan but, clearly reviews are showing the level of bugs, like the OS review said, funny most issues he claimed about his 950XL, I see on my ICON. So I am sure they are not EXCLUSIVE to the 950XL, it's the software.

You need to get over it, Windows 10 mobile is a buggy mess and there is NOT A FREAKING excuse for Microsoft to release the 950 and 950XL with the level of bugs that it has. When spending that kind of money, you should not have to wait for the NEXT UPDATE...

Even if Verizon picked up the 950XL tomorrow, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole....maybe after 10 MAJOR updates...

Hardware is nice no question....the software at this POINT is a buggy mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos