Windows 10 mobile on 512 ram

zapppa83

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello buddies, i use windows 10 mobile on my lumia 720. I still got freezing screen even at latest build .36. I just curious, how many time you got freezing screen in a day? How do you suffer from that? :) because freezing screen happen when using standard apps like camera, photos, message, personally i use camera360 sight to handle camera n photos galery.

4-5...go back to 8.1

zapppa83

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
With 625

-Frequent freeze with intense use
-Camera is lagging everywhere
-With Groove(many bugs on it) playing the phone became extremely slow
-Edge is bugged and slow
-Battery 30% worse than 8.1

It's an alpha OS definitively. Unusable for me. I bought Windows Phone for his speed and fluidity. If they loss that they are dead. Also the 550 is slow and buggy said some reviews here in Italy.

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
With 625

-Frequent freeze with intense use
-Camera is lagging everywhere
-With Groove(many bugs on it) playing the phone became extremely slow
-Edge is bugged and slow
-Battery 30% worse than 8.1

It's an alpha OS definitively. Unusable for me. I bought Windows Phone for his speed and fluidity. If they loss that they are dead. Also the 550 is slow and buggy said some reviews here in Italy.
Yup, worse than lot people expectation, personally i like windows 10 mobile but performance not good enough as 8.1. I still suffer since 10581 to provide feedback and waiting the surprise from ms :) btw im not yet interest with 950/550 too expensive for me hhohoho..

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes I'm just not sure how most people here complain about W10M freezing on their device and blaming Microsoft for it. You can blame Microsoft for the bugginess of the OS on their flagships, 950/XL, but from reading most of the user impressions here, WMPU forums, and in /r/windowsphone, most people who use the latest OS on phones other than the 950/XL generally have a good experience with it. Most of those who complains and rants about the supposed "bugginess" of the OS are using it on phones that in the first place were never meant to get that update anyway: Lumia devices with 512MB RAM. You'll be surprised to see how many people who posts complaints regarding the OS were actually using it on ancient phones ESPECIALLY ON THE 520.

The basis of "if the phone could handle WP8.1, it surely can handle W10M" is not valid. Heck, using my 620 for 2 years made me realize that as much as the WP OS is optimized for lower end phones, the hardware itself is bottle-necking the performance of the OS. Even my 620 on WP8.1 had lag issues, and I'm pretty sure if I updated it to W10M, I'll have a very bad and laggy experience. But the question I would've asked myself would be: Is the drawback in performance due to the software, or is it due to the hardware? Of course, my 620 came out of the box with WP8.0, and it was blazing smooth. But the OS at that time were really stripped down, with lots of features currently available on W10M and WP8.1 were not available back then (action centre, anyone?). After the 8.1 update, my phone's performance worsened. Lags were a norm, and battery life became worse. I really blamed the update for it at first, but after upgrading to my current 830, my eyes were opened. WP8.1 was really smooth on the 830, and the overall feel of the OS on my new phone is a big leap from what it was on my 620.

What I'm trying to say here is that, sometimes, we require better hardware to support new software. I personally just updated my 830 to W10M this week, and it's been a really smooth sail so far in terms of performance. Bugs were non-existant except for a few veeeery minor bugs that doesn't really affect the overall experience with the OS (ask me later if you want to know more about these bugs). The only downside to W10M for me are only the features of the core apps of the OS, such as Groove Music and the People Apps. Other than that, I really have nothing much to complain about.

But of course, I understand that some of you held on to your old Lumias due to your financial situation, and I respect that. But then again, you should also note that complaining about the instability of an OS when it's actually the hardware of your phone is bottlenecking it's performance, is really unfair and serves only to generate more negativity to an OS that is actually really good and very usable (it's on par with WP8.1 IMO).

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes I'm just not sure how most people here complain about W10M freezing on their device and blaming Microsoft for it. You can blame Microsoft for the bugginess of the OS on their flagships, 950/XL, but from reading most of the user impressions here, WMPU forums, and in /r/windowsphone, most people who use the latest OS on phones other than the 950/XL generally have a good experience with it. Most of those who complains and rants about the supposed "bugginess" of the OS are using it on phones that in the first place were never meant to get that update anyway: Lumia devices with 512MB RAM. You'll be surprised to see how many people who posts complaints regarding the OS were actually using it on ancient phones ESPECIALLY ON THE 520.
Ahaha, yup maybe youre right, lot people really like to complain for everything. But not all people. If there forum talk about the good, its not wrong if talk about the bad. Because that ancient phone were supported by MS to try windows 10 mobile, so people want their phone can run w10m with good performance. Yes we need better hardware for better os performance, but it not mean to throw away your old phone. I think its fair if some people talk about the bad and give feedback to windows feedback app. The freezing or the other bad problems maybe not appear on new phone, but not mean it not exist, maybe it will be problem someday. Come on give more better feedback to ms :)

mukulagarwal

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I just updated my Lumia 720 to windows 10 and i am really liking
it despite it's slow on it.
But i decide to not hard reset and give it time to become stable.
So far its becoming better day by day.

zapppa83

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site

The basis of "if the phone could handle WP8.1, it surely can handle W10M" is not valid. Heck, using my 620 for 2 years made me realize that as much as the WP OS is optimized for lower end phones, the hardware itself is bottle-necking the performance of the OS. Even my 620 on WP8.1 had lag issues, and I'm pretty sure if I updated it to W10M, I'll have a very bad and laggy experience. But the question I would've asked myself would be: Is the drawback in performance due to the software, or is it due to the hardware? Of course, my 620 came out of the box with WP8.0, and it was blazing smooth. But the OS at that time were really stripped down, with lots of features currently available on W10M and WP8.1 were not available back then (action centre, anyone?). After the 8.1 update, my phone's performance worsened. Lags were a norm, and battery life became worse. I really blamed the update for it at first, but after upgrading to my current 830, my eyes were opened. WP8.1 was really smooth on the 830, and the overall feel of the OS on my new phone is a big leap from what it was on my 620.

What I'm trying to say here is that, sometimes, we require better hardware to support new software. I personally just updated my 830 to W10M this week, and it's been a really smooth sail so far in terms of performance. Bugs were non-existant except for a few veeeery minor bugs that doesn't really affect the overall experience with the OS (ask me later if you want to know more about these bugs). The only downside to W10M for me are only the features of the core apps of the OS, such as Groove Music and the People Apps. Other than that, I really have nothing much to complain about.

But of course, I understand that some of you held on to your old Lumias due to your financial situation, and I respect that. But then again, you should also note that complaining about the instability of an OS when it's actually the hardware of your phone is bottlenecking it's performance, is really unfair and serves only to generate more negativity to an OS that is actually really good and very usable (it's on par with WP8.1 IMO).

The answer to your poem is easy.
IF MS said that my phone will be updated to W10 i expect by a giant like MS a DECENT SOFTWARE.
If is impossible to do a decent software for older phones, ok tell me "your phone is too old, take a new Lumia" and I can't say aything.

Of course i'm waiting for final version.
But seems the new 550 also is slow.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Ahaha, yup maybe youre right, lot people really like to complain for everything. But not all people. If there forum talk about the good, its not wrong if talk about the bad. Because that ancient phone were supported by MS to try windows 10 mobile, so people want their phone can run w10m with good performance. Yes we need better hardware for better os performance, but it not mean to throw away your old phone. I think its fair if some people talk about the bad and give feedback to windows feedback app. The freezing or the other bad problems maybe not appear on new phone, but not mean it not exist, maybe it will be problem someday. Come on give more better feedback to ms :)

I understand that, but after reading lots and lots of complaint posts, you won't believe how many users of the 520 or other old low end phones were complaining on how W10M makes things worse. I mean, come on. Even my 620 faced significant performance impact after upgrading to WP8.1. Seriously you wouldn't expect a much heavier OS with more functionality than WP8.1, not to mention loads of animation addition, to actually perform on par with WP8.0 on a 520? That there is just wishful thinking.

Also, I've seen lots of people who are facing problems with W10M on their newer phones: 1520, 930, 640, 535, 830, etc. However, the number of these people are way way smaller than from those using older phones, and most of the complaints from the users of the newer models actually upgraded without knowing what basic steps they should take when updating i.e. hard resetting without backing up after update.

Tbh, W10M is really good and using it as my daily driver now, there's nothing much to miss from WP8.1. Just have to do some research to make sure one really knows what he or she needs to do to ensure they won't face any problems at all throughout the update.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site

The answer to your poem is easy.
IF MS said that my phone will be updated to W10 i expect by a giant like MS a DECENT SOFTWARE.
If is impossible to do a decent software for older phones, ok tell me "your phone is too old, take a new Lumia" and I can't say aything.

Of course i'm waiting for final version.
But seems the new 550 also is slow.

Hurm.. I don't think MS planned for that earlier. They initially stated that W10M are for phones with AT LEAST 1GB RAM and 8GB of internal storage, but after lots of lower-specced WP users complained (majority of WP users uses 520), Microsoft gave in and revised the hardware requirements to 512MB with 4GB internal storage.

Now let's be honest here. If a person made and prepared only for a plan A, then suddenly everyone forces him to do a plan B, of course plan B is not going to achieve the same quality as plan A simply because:
1) He prepared for plan A. The same cannot be said for plan B. It was just 'at the spur of the moment' thing.
2) Since he was only planning for plan A, it basically means he is not interested in doing anything for plan B. Thus they would focus on A, and B will become their lower priority.

And as low-specced the 550 is, it is still much, much better than a 520.

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
By my experience the problem is related to sd card. The System is not optimized yet for dual cores, I hope.
Maybe, but i think ram is not the problem, because when screen freezed my music and notification sound still working. Btw key action not working too, except restart action. Another unique, before start this discussion, i think the problem was the microsoft apps. But its not. Before i reset i got freeze when open photos app, after reset photos is ok, but i got freeze after open store. Not same every device. Hope MS know the real problems and solve it asap next release. :)

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
duno my 1gb ram lumia 535 is ok so i think it just a 512mb ram issue
This problem still random, glad it run good in yours. :) i was think it ram problem, but if so, the apps will stop or laggie, the fact my music no lag, notif still coming, its like unhandle exception that make screen freezed. Or maybe like the lcd lost a power in a while. So the display stuck in a display(usually on the start screen), and when restart by volumeDown+power, phone turn off, then when display nokia logo on the side still display stuck start screen a while, then boot normal.

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I installed W10M (insider preview - slow ring) on my 720 last week.
The first 24 hours were terrible, with lots of freezing there was also a lot of wifi traffic because all apps were being updated. But the second day, the freezing did not occur anymore. On Christmas day, I recieved an OS update. It was 10586.36 that got installed.
Now my Lumia 720 (512 Ram) runs as smooth as butter. At least as smooth as WP8.1 ran on that device. This is older hardware and you have to accept it. The only thing that bothers me the most is that a lot of apps are not yet ready to be installed on the SD-card. That is very strange, as it is as simple (for the developer) as setting a flag.
For the rest. I will stay on W10M. No way that I will return to WP 8.1.
My oldest son (Lumia 535) now asks me how he can join the insiders-club, because he is impressed about W10M on my Lumia 720.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro