Why does every app after exiting run in background in Windows 10 mobile?

drmjrahman

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
why every app after exiting run in background in windows 10 mobile

when we exit an app or any settings page in windows 10 mobile we see that every app is running in background and only be exited by long pressing the back button and then clicking the cross key in the app. Is this is the app history we are seeing or are the background apps running, after long pressing the back button. In windows 8.1 there are few apps like this but in windows 10 mobile every app behaves like this.

please forgive my English if any mistake I've done and let me know if possible. thanks

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: why every app after exiting run in background in windows 10 mobile

They are not running but suspended in ram, they don't use cpu cycles. If the os needs ram it tombstones them. Killing them will only take more time to make them start and consume more energy. And yes it is the default behaviour

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site

when we exit an app or any settings page in windows 10 mobile we see that every app is running in background and only be exited by long pressing the back button and then clicking the cross key in the app. Is this is the app history we are seeing or are the background apps running, after long pressing the back button. In windows 8.1 there are few apps like this but in windows 10 mobile every app behaves like this.

please forgive my English if any mistake I've done and let me know if possible. thanks

Because windows is an intelligent OS and it actually knows that keeping RAM empty would actually consume and suck more battery life. The apps that you are finding is not running in the background like android, they are suspended and not killed.

luvkv

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They are not running but suspended in ram, they don't use cpu cycles. If the os needs ram it tombstones them. Killing them will only take more time to make them start and consume more energy. And yes it is the default behaviour

Meaning they are using RAM space.. ? Which may cause phone to work a slower..

Last edited:

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

This is good to know. I keep killing them after I exit every app by long pressing the back button and X-ing out.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

This is actually the way it was supposed to work on WP8.1 but for some unknown reasons, it didn't. They finally got it right on W10M. Like those before me have correctly stated, the apps are "suspended" and doesn't affect your device's resources.

If you've also noticed, you'd realize that the apps that get suspended are W10 apps and apps that have been built for W10.
WP8.1 apps close when you exit them.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Nope, faster. As soon as memory is short enough to cause delays, it gets released. The reason for keeping stuff in memory is because it is MUCH faster to resume if the user switches back to it. This kind of behaviour is very old hat - operating systems have been managing memory in ways broadly similar to this for decades.

You want your RAM as full as possible: empty RAM is wasted RAM. Remember, as soon as more is needed, the OS can release it in an instant.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Wrong. It'll actually improve speed, theoretically, because the open applications are suspended and don't need to start again. The operating system reserves RAM for the system so that you never cut into the RAM that stores information for the Start Menu and such.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

This is interesting. Thanks for the insights. But I have a question about Edge. If I have a few tabs of Edge open and then relegate them to the background, why does it adversely impact battery on my 640XL (running the latest (.36) version of Insiders Build, W10M)?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

There is a major misconception from the Windows XP-time that free RAM is good... But it really isn't. Any modern OS (except Android) works better if your RAM is always allocated and it is meant to be used. Free RAM only means your OS isn't doing a very good job at tracking your usage and keeping commonly used files in memory.

Things in the background doesn't pull additional battery on Windows 10 Mobile if they don't have any task running (which most apps don't) which means you lose nothing from keeping them there. Quitting apps from the task manager actually makes your OS slower since the OS thinks you will not be using that data again and clears it which means you will do a "Cold reboot" of the app the next time you start it.

luvkv

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

Ohh.. 😱 Thanks every one..
I always use to clean my tasks.. Now i wont..
I always hv this misconception that free ram is gud. Now i modern OS.. work differently..

drmjrahman

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

i like that part-"Any modern OS (except Android)"...using windows phone (to windows mobile) from 2012 proudly.

drmjrahman

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

me too. actually I always use to clean also. now I have to behave in a modern way,,,

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

There is a major misconception from the Windows XP-time that free RAM is good... But it really isn't. Any modern OS (except Android) works better if your RAM is always allocated and it is meant to be used. Free RAM only means your OS isn't doing a very good job at tracking your usage and keeping commonly used files in memory.

Things in the background doesn't pull additional battery on Windows 10 Mobile if they don't have any task running (which most apps don't) which means you lose nothing from keeping them there. Quitting apps from the task manager actually makes your OS slower since the OS thinks you will not be using that data again and clears it which means you will do a "Cold reboot" of the app the next time you start it.

Got more insight from this. Thanks. I usually use Task manager alot. Now I know better.

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for clearing doubt about opened app in background

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Ok. I avoided closing all my apps today to follow this advice, but my battery drained extremely fast, from lasting about 20hrs with regular use on full charge, to only lasting about 8hrs today. That's the only change I did today. Use of phone and apps remained the same.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Ok. I avoided closing all my apps today to follow this advice, but my battery drained extremely fast, from lasting about 20hrs with regular use on full charge, to only lasting about 8hrs today. That's the only change I did today. Use of phone and apps remained the same.

Really, though, that's a separate issue. Having RAM occupied by background apps is a good thing, for the reasons stated above (i.e. empty RAM is wasted RAM, and keeping an app in RAM makes it much faster to resume). Your issue, though, is really about background apps using CPU time, and thus draining the battery.

This is very much due to bad coding in the app itself. Yes, you can get around it by manually terminating the app, but it's worth remembering that this isn't so much a criticism of W10M itself as of the app.

If you find that leaving your apps in the background drains the battery, it would be well worth finding out which one is causing the problem and seek an alternative (if there is one) or report it to the author. It seems a shame to lose all the benefits of suspended background apps by habitually closing them all, when really you could close just the troublesome one and enjoy the improved overall speed when resuming the others.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Because windows is an intelligent OS and it actually knows that keeping RAM empty would actually consume and suck more battery life. The apps that you are finding is not running in the background like android, they are suspended and not killed.

Having so many unused ram space is NOT intelligent at all. RAM are meant to be consume not leaving them empty. I will rather Windows 10 be more intelligent to allow apps to have better background tasks like downloading of stuffs. Currently, I cannot move away from some apps just because I need to make sure that they are stayed active in the foreground by staring at them on the screen.

FYI, Android apps do get suspended as well if those apps are not having any background tasks running. That's what I called a smart OS, not windows 10 mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999