Lumia 950 no longer king of low light?

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I received my Nexus 6p and wow I'm kind of at a lost I find my Lumia 950 loosing the camera battle. So the question is, has the competition caught up this fast that the Nexus camera as good as a Lumia if not better? I'm still keeping my 950 I'm waiting for the real win 10 mobile released to pull it back out.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I received my Nexus 6p and wow I'm kind of at a lost I find my Lumia 950 loosing the camera battle. So the question is, has the competition caught up this fast that the Nexus camera as good as a Lumia if not better? I'm still keeping my 950 I'm waiting for the real win 10 mobile released to pull it back out.

Camera is not yet good in windows 10mobile unlike in 8.1. So even if your lenses are great, the camera app and image processing algorithm might not do justice to it. You might receive updates for it making it better. It doesn't always work like how they show us in the launch events. Nexus is anytime, anyday winner when compared to 950.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea that seems to be true the Nexus 6p is better, but who would of thought Nexus the awful camera was always a compromise has surpassed purview level. Microsoft needs to get the Nokia image team back figure away to put 40 megapixels or even 30 in the surface phone. I love Windows 10 mobile and my 950, but using the Nexus 6p now my daily driver and I got it brand new for 450 from google. Time for a price cut on flagship Lumias.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I really hope so! I still get the this light bar of haze when watching my recorded videos so I use a third party app to change that. They need do a massive bug fix and possible a newer camera interface.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Yea that seems to be true the Nexus 6p is better, but who would of thought Nexus the awful camera was always a compromise has surpassed purview level. Microsoft needs to get the Nokia image team back figure away to put 40 megapixels or even 30 in the surface phone. I love Windows 10 mobile and my 950, but using the Nexus 6p now my daily driver and I got it brand new for 450 from google. Time for a price cut on flagship Lumias.

Good to hear there are phones that are competing with the photo quality on Lumia. Will you be able to post a photo comparison for us as you own both the phone? Thanks in advance

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I find my Lumia 950 loosing the camera battle. So the question is, has the competition caught up this fast that the Nexus camera as good as a Lumia if not better?
Phone cameras have definitely caught up, there isn't a huge difference between them any more. I haven't used the Nexus 6P, do you think it produces significantly better photos than the 950, or are you just concerned that the 950 isn't leading the pack anymore?

(Also, if you haven't already done so, please turn off Living Images on the 950.)

Camera is not yet good in windows 10mobile unlike in 8.1. So even if your lenses are great, the camera app and image processing algorithm might not do justice to it.
On the contrary, I think the image processing software on the 950 is top-notch. The 950 actually has smaller physical pixels (1.12 um) than the Nexus 6P (1.55 um) or even the iPhone 6S (1.22 um), yet it manages to produce extremely sharp images, especially with Rich Capture (which is purely a software feature).

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Its good to have competition.. better for us users!!
... I believe the king of lowlight has to take handheld pictures of moving subjects OR macros in very poor light, no flash, and getting true to life colours....

anon9776305

Banned
Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have to agree. My old L920 blows my L950 out of the water when it comes to low light. I imagine that it is just a matter of time until the camera app is eventually updated and low light we become up to par. Again, here is to hoping!

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
See what I don't understand is 920/925 had great low light shot, 1020 had super high res shots with large sensor, but 930/950 kind blend not even rich capture is special to them ohhh and 925 had a great design

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Quick? It's been 3 years since the 1020 came out, nearly. More than that since Nokia first presented itself as the top-tier camera offering with the 920. In that time, the WP hardware has mostly stagnated and changed slowly. The competition was able to copy ideas like OIS, improve their overall tech, and add things the Lumias lack, like laser auto-focus. It's actually been a long time since this all started, especially in the world of technology.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I really hope so! I still get the this light bar of haze when watching my recorded videos so I use a third party app to change that. They need do a massive bug fix and possible a newer camera interface.
Ugh no don't change the interface. The Google Camera application is the ugliest thing ever and it's no easier to use. Actually, the only camera application that's uglier is the iPhone camera. Windows phone has the most beautiful camera application I've ever used.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ugh no don't change the interface. The Google Camera application is the ugliest thing ever and it's no easier to use. Actually, the only camera application that's uglier is the iPhone camera. Windows phone has the most beautiful camera application I've ever used.

I like the LG camera app as much as the windows phone phone. It is not as nice to look at, but feels less cumbersome (fewer movements to achieve a result) than the Microsoft Camera. Add in laser focus, manual controls on videos, a second screen for controls that don't take up screen real estate, two selfie cameras to choose from (normal and wide angle), a panorama feature...lumia has fallen behind in more areas than one in the camera.

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't say that the old 920 I'd better than the 950 I would have to see proof of that. When I say new camera app it needs to build off the old look, life stated before me LG v10 app is now the gold standard of what a manual mode should be. The downfall to the camera is the camera shutter stays open to long, which produces blur and over processing.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
950 is perfect in low light. It doesn't overexpose the scene and thanks to that there are no overblown lights and other stuff and everything looks natural.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the image quality is complete garbage on my 1520. It used to take great photos back on 8.1, and on Win10M the quality is just plain bad. It has to be a problem with the app. I think the algorhythms are underdeveloped, and that they need a fix ASAP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)