Lumia 950 no longer king of low light?

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
True! the day time photos are excellent but it really is to aggressive on post processing at night. I can actually see it crush a picture while it applies the evil magic touch.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I like the LG camera app as much as the windows phone phone. It is not as nice to look at, but feels less cumbersome (fewer movements to achieve a result) than the Microsoft Camera. Add in laser focus, manual controls on videos, a second screen for controls that don't take up screen real estate, two selfie cameras to choose from (normal and wide angle), a panorama feature...lumia has fallen behind in more areas than one in the camera.

I'm not saying it's perfect. We need more powerful slow motion video options for the latest Lumias, a fluid panorama mode, manual controls for videos, and a more stable, faster app in general. But I don't want the look to change.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
it never was, and will never be, the competition is now just as good or better, all it can do now is keep the pace, which I think it is doing admirably unless the few shoots I've seen are some kind of 1 in a million chance, they look better than good to me, even DSLR-like

btw if it can capture as much light as the 92x series then I'm all good, except for the flash they could've added a proper xenon in addition to their 3 led gimmicky for video light-torch, in which case I wouldn't depend on a steady hand and overblown lights

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
it never was, and will never be, the competition is now just as good or better, all it can do now is keep the pace, which I think it is doing admirably unless the few shoots I've seen are some kind of 1 in a million chance, they look better than good to me, even DSLR-like

btw if it can capture as much light as the 92x series then I'm all good, except for the flash they could've added a proper xenon in addition to their 3 led gimmicky for video light-torch, in which case I wouldn't depend on a steady hand and overblown lights

The Lumia 950 camera is far better than the Lumia 920 in pretty much every single aspect, including low light.
As far as the LED RGB flash, I don't think it's a gimmick. In fact, I think it's the best flash ever put in a phone, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. It's the least offensive, most natural looking flash out there, aided by the fact that you can edit the effect afterwards. However nice a Xenon flash is, sometimes it's just too much, and it tends to wash over everything else.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 950 camera is far better than the Lumia 920 in pretty much every single aspect, including low light.
As far as the LED RGB flash, I don't think it's a gimmick. In fact, I think it's the best flash ever put in a phone, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. It's the least offensive, most natural looking flash out there, aided by the fact that you can edit the effect afterwards. However nice a Xenon flash is, sometimes it's just too much, and it tends to wash over everything else.

I understand at this point all we can do is be positive and praise it but lets be real a xenon flash simply gets the job done, that's it, blurry night action shots? just impossible

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I understand at this point all we can do is be positive and praise it but lets be real a xenon flash simply gets the job done, that's it, blurry night action shots? just impossible

I'm not just praising the phone for the sake of praising. Xenon flash is great and all that, but you have to admit that sometimes it's just too much. We don't always need something that powerful and the LED RGB flash is more natural looking.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not just praising the phone for the sake of praising. Xenon flash is great and all that, but you have to admit that sometimes it's just too much. We don't always need something that powerful and the LED RGB flash is more natural looking.

yea that tends to happen with close ups, the camera itself gets blinded but I'm in favor of having both really, its a high end phone after all, price is supposed to not be an argument

just imagine the actionshot-sport scene uses xenon, the rest uses RGB led, or you choose manually, that would be a killer camera with virtually no weak points

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
yea that tends to happen with close ups, the camera itself gets blinded but I'm in favor of having both really, its a high end phone after all, price is supposed to not be an argument

just imagine the actionshot-sport scene uses xenon, the rest uses RGB led, or you choose manually, that would be a killer camera with virtually no weak points

Except for size concerns. Xenon takes up a lot of space (as is evident with the superbly un-ergonomic 1020).

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm moving my pictures to my PC for the first time since I got the 950 XL, and I just noticed that photos are kind of washed out and blurry when I shoot without flash. What happened to the old Lumia Camera and its awesome image processing? In general I think my old 1020 takes better pictures.

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I seriously doubt 950 ever help that title. That was back in 920/1020 days. A couple of the very best Nokia camera people left for apple more than a year back. the correct term is "poached".

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
If members from Nokia truly left to join Apple I feel bad for them. Since the iPhone no longer is the top camera and beat by several other phones especially in low light. To name a few S6, Lg v10, Nexus 6p, Xperia z5, and plenty more. Even the 950/xl camera is better.

hwangeruk

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have to agree. My old L920 blows my L950 out of the water when it comes to low light. I imagine that it is just a matter of time until the camera app is eventually updated and low light we become up to par. Again, here is to hoping!

I am confused on this. My 920 isn't a patch on my 950. My 950 blows my iPhone 6s away in terms of camera performance.
Did they make 2 types of Lumia 950? The one I have, and the one that many other people have? :/ Honestly, not had any issues with it, and the camera is amazing. [I don't like Windows Hello though] but the 950 I have makes sharp, good low light photos that are waayy sharper than the 920.
Oh well, everyones mileage seems to vary. I've not seen a Nexus 6p yet, I will seek one out to compare.

anon9776305

Banned
Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I am confused on this. My 920 isn't a patch on my 950. My 950 blows my iPhone 6s away in terms of camera performance.
Did they make 2 types of Lumia 950? The one I have, and the one that many other people have? :/ Honestly, not had any issues with it, and the camera is amazing. [I don't like Windows Hello though] but the 950 I have makes sharp, good low light photos that are waayy sharper than the 920.
Oh well, everyones mileage seems to vary. I've not seen a Nexus 6p yet, I will seek one out to compare.
I have to admit I haven't tried to take many low light photos after the recent firmware update. I know before the recent update my low light pictures were awful. I will try again soon and see if there are any improvements. Pictures in normal sunlight are spectacular though before and after the recent firmware update.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Lumia950.png

You be the judge.

Courtesy of gsmarena. Left is low light, right is in good lighting condition.
- The S changed color on the 6P in low light.
- 6P had trouble rendering the vertical lines on the lower left side of the photo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster