I'm seriously going to return my Nexus 6p for 950xl am I crazy?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
everything else is heading in the same direction

There is a reason for that. Do you know why today's cars look similar compared to 30 years ago, when each type had its own distinct design? It is because the manufacturers eventually found the same design to work the best, a lot of the reason being aerodynamics.

It makes sense that smartphone OS manufacturers would also end up following the same path, based on a balance of public acceptance and practicality.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
There is a reason for that. Do you know why today's cars look similar compared to 30 years ago, when each type had its own distinct design? It is because the manufacturers eventually found the same design to work the best, a lot of the reason being aerodynamics.

It makes sense that smartphone OS manufacturers would also end up following the same path, based on a balance of public acceptance and practicality.

Why do people always relate everything to cars...why not lawn mowers or tractors, perhaps even cottage cheese sculptures.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Completely agree. If you put the same requirements, ie, safety, fuel economy, interior space, comfort et al, into a computer, you will always get the same result. Then the design bods come in and round the lines off etc to give the item it's signature look.

With smartphones you still have the same design brief. After all, how much more can a smart phone do? They have done pretty much the same since google had the G1(?) years ago. The only real changes have been size and specs, improvements in networks etc. They still email, provide phone and text, play games, social media, just quicker in a nicer package, so they will head in the same direction. It doesn't help when you have Samsung releasing the same device over and over again whenever it rains. Just how far is the new iBone from it's prior generation???? Is it really that much better?? In UK, iBone 5's still retain a very large segment of crapple buyers choice for upgrade. That's where crapple are starting to slow down. People are happy with what they have got. Another example for you. In the UK, a 24 month contract with an iBone 6 will cost you ?50.00 a month, an S6 edge costs ?48.00. The 950 ( the deal I got ) ?24 a month, but you really have to look for it!

Oops, sorry for off topic. My bad...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Why do people always relate everything to cars...why not lawn mowers or tractors, perhaps even cottage cheese sculptures.

Because people can relate to cars better than a tractor, lawnmower of cheese sculptures.

Tractors are designed to still do the job that horse drawn ploughs started. Again, they have improved, but the design and ethos is still the same.

Lawnmowers? Mmm ride on, petrol, electric, hover, grass collection....all designed for one purpose, to cut grass! Doesn't matter how you get there, they still cut grass!!

Cheese? Don't know. Gives me migraines. Although America's take on cheese is erm...interesting

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
i'd rather relate it to our TV...
every new TV/smartphone out there is basically a big black slab, some bigger, some less bezel, some curved....
not sure if there is a full touchscreen TV produced yet...

Last edited:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Because people can relate to cars better than a tractor, lawnmower of cheese sculptures.

Tractors are designed to still do the job that horse drawn ploughs started. Again, they have improved, but the design and ethos is still the same.

Lawnmowers? Mmm ride on, petrol, electric, hover, grass collection....all designed for one purpose, to cut grass! Doesn't matter how you get there, they still cut grass!!

Cheese? Don't know. Gives me migraines. Although America's take on cheese is erm...interesting

Car just moves people to replace horse drawn carriages? I think the point was more that why do people want to compare everything to cars...WP is Agera, Iphone is Maybach, Android is Ferrari, etc. They don't add a lot to the discussion since they aren't really the same thing.

Smart phones all look the same because one design works really well and no one has figured out a new breakthrough yet.

Anyway, I apologize, this is all very off topic.

I think everyone should just try something out with the intent to return it within the return window if they are unhappy with it. They should also be open to try other offerings whether they be from Apple, Google, Microsoft, or Kraft.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I think everyone should just try something out with the intent to return it within the return window if they are unhappy with it. They should also be open to try other offerings whether they be from Apple, Google, Microsoft, or Kraft.

Yes you should. At the end of the day, it is still a phone. It is a device to help us to communicate. It doesn't matter which platform we are using, and it doesn't matter if want to swap from one to the other even though many say otherwise. Do what you really feel like doing, and be happy with it. If you are not, then change it. No point getting all worked up over a phone, because we still have our whole lives ahead of us. ;)

IAMBLCKJ3ZUS

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Everyone I've made my decision and have sent the nexus 6p off waiting for refund to get my 950xl. Reason being is because of the small things win 10 mobile does. Example when my kids have a appt my wife can go on the computer plug it in on the calendar and because it to runs win 10. My 950 syncs while at work and I look down ay my live tile and it shows the appt. Things like that make life easier for me. With this expandable storage I have a arsenal of movies and can use continuum as a Chromecast and watch movies on the big screen. That just so convenient, then since design isn't glass like most phones or metal and i don't have to baby the phone like it's my precious..(lord of the rings) yes there bugs more than other iPhone and nexus but I see where Microsoft is going and I like the direction. Unlike blackberry Microsoft is a service we run on desktops, tablets, phones, soon Xbox and your car. Thank you all for the help, Peace... Drops mic and walks off stage.

anon(9739099)

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I had bought the 6p and returned it because everytime I opened the settings app the UI crashed. Bought 950xl, I like the build and everything but WM10 is not ready for primetime. Too many bugs, reboots, Outlook hangs up and kills the phone when there is no data, recordings have not worked, camera button is hit or miss, some apps are just too wonky or they are horribly made (staples like FB and twitter). If you use youtube the 3rd party apps are nowhere as good. I was OK with all these quirks on my 640 as it was 70$, but don't want to pay 800$ and get a phone that has so many bugs. And not to forget pay for office on continuum??
If you want removable battery, SD card etc get an LG V10

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
No, you are not crazy. I love my 950 XL bought since day one and I have retired my aging 1520 which I also loved and enjoyed. Only the most intelligent and most beautiful people use Microsoft Windows Phones. :smile:

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually enjoying this phone a lot. The big screen is not as cool as I thought coming from a 920 but sure it looks great.

Also changing the text size to something smaller made a change for me.

Sent from mTalk

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I want the 950xl, I do have a 950, but want a bigger screen.

After reading your entire post I was almost sympathetic but then I re-read your first sentence again. You already own a 950 but you're thinking of returning your Nexus for a 950XL, so presumably, you're keeping your 950, right? Surely the easiest option is to return/sell your 950 and replace it with a 950XL if you want the larger screen and keep your Nexus for the Google features and apps you can't get on a Windows phone. I'd love to be in your position and if I could afford it, I'd have my foot in both camps too, keep tabs on the opposition. (iOS, for me, would be a step too far though!)

ashdown43

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5x and a Lumia 950xl. I use the Nexus for all apps that's not available on Windows (read Google Pay and Capital One). I still like 950xl as my daily phone, I use the wireless charging phone holder and use my phone as my GPS and music. I do find the fingerprint reader on nexus is pretty cool but I can see Windows Hello on 950xl work better for payments if Microsoft ever decide to do payments. If you can afford it get a 950xl and keep the Nexus for all the things that windows is missing.

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You're not crazy at all. Were it not for the relatively cheap feel of the 950XL owing only to the thin removable back cover, there would be absolutely nothing to complain about physically. But that can be fixed with a protective cover or a vanity cover like a Mozo. Everything else about the hardware is excellent. Fast, great screen, incredible camera/video, great microphone and speaker (for a smartphone), etc. Windows 10 still needs some work, but it's coming along and I would expect material improvement over the next month or so.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5x and a Lumia 950xl. I use the Nexus for all apps that's not available on Windows (read Google Pay and Capital One). I still like 950xl as my daily phone, I use the wireless charging phone holder and use my phone as my GPS and music. I do find the fingerprint reader on nexus is pretty cool but I can see Windows Hello on 950xl work better for payments if Microsoft ever decide to do payments. If you can afford it get a 950xl and keep the Nexus for all the things that windows is missing.

I don't understand the logic of the carrying around two devices because one can't do everything. What is the benefit to carrying around the 950xl in the above scenario? I think if one phone can do everything I need, that would be preferable.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jdawgnoonan

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I would do what suits you. If you wish you had the 950XL instead, go get it. I have the 6P and have a tad of 950XL desire, but for me I am going to wait for Edge to mature some before I jump as the browser is my most used app and Chrome is currently better in my opinion. But my next phone will be the Surface Phone if it becomes a reality.

You can sell the Nexus for a decent price at quite a few sites.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You don't think the surface phone will be business oriented? That is what is missing from the Nadella promise of budget friendly, flagship, and enterprise.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb