Windows 10 Mobile: Live tile concept

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
very interesting idea... would like to see this esp for those things you just want a little bit more info on or a quick action

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Interesting and fresh, but there can be problems in implementation. Considering that a lot of apps now take some time to start, that start time will still be present in being able to access app features just by maximizing the tile - unless all those tiles are actively running in the task-switcher level "background" which then translates to more power requirement (shorter battery life). More RAM and multi-tasking capabilities will be required as well.

Imagine expanding the tile and then comes the dreaded "Loading..." or his brother "Resuming...".

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Interactive live tiles is the dream of many.. That's the kind of thing that may be under testing in the darkest room of Microsoft and won't happen before a looooong time

EDIT : For a first step, a "3D touch like" could be nice. Something like : long press on a tile, on one of the corners, a little "...", tap on it, a list of actions appear (kinda like the photos app when you hold your finger on an image), and "Send a text", "Open", "Customize the tile", "disable tile animation"...

VivekRabara

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Except that "Loading..." and "Resuming..." it feels good for me. Just quick actions can be done really easily. No need to go to app and open related few things. e.g. for WhatsApp: i) You can read latest 5 message from any group/person. ii) You can scroll in the same popup. iii) Swipe functions to change person/group from the same. and many more.

VivekRabara

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
EDIT : For a first step, a "3D touch like" could be nice. Something like : long press on a tile, on one of the corners, a little "...", tap on it, a list of actions appear (kinda like the photos app when you hold your finger on an image), and "Send a text", "Open", "Customize the tile", "disable tile animation"...

Like that. Long press can be more good to open up the things.

Panos Athanasiou

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
yea i like it like this to be a livetile show what it does but with a button up there you could make it bigger like folders see what you can changed/do then minimize again intresting i hope they will see your idea :D and try to bring it forward to all of us when they finish with their problems :3

VivekRabara

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
yea i like it like this to be a livetile show what it does but with a button up there you could make it bigger like folders see what you can changed/do then minimize again intresting i hope they will see your idea :D and try to bring it forward to all of us when they finish with their problems :3

Thanks. Hope for the best. :)

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The example is pretty redundant. Just hit the volume keys to bring up music controls.

Interactive live tiles should be just that. Interacting with the tile itself, like scrolling through info or whatever, not actually opening up the app in a little window. That's something different.

VivekRabara

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
The example is pretty redundant. Just hit the volume keys to bring up music controls.

Interactive live tiles should be just that. Interacting with the tile itself, like scrolling through info or whatever, not actually opening up the app in a little window. That's something different.

This is not just for music. Can be good for every other apps.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Interesting and fresh, but there can be problems in implementation. Considering that a lot of apps now take some time to start, that start time will still be present in being able to access app features just by maximizing the tile - unless all those tiles are actively running in the task-switcher level "background" which then translates to more power requirement (shorter battery life). More RAM and multi-tasking capabilities will be required as well.

Imagine expanding the tile and then comes the dreaded "Loading..." or his brother "Resuming...".

OK. But one thing. How does the kind of interactivity that we see in the Notifications take place (on W10M). For example, I get a message on Readit. I get a notification. I can reply to the message directly from the Notifications Center without opening the Readit app. I think the same is the case with SMS. It would be very convenient if it would be possible to have exactly the same functionality on Live Tiles. Take the email app for example. It would be cool if it were possible to reply to emails directly from the live tile. Same for Twitter etc...etc...Is this also not possible technically?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
OK. But one thing. How does the kind of interactivity that we see in the Notifications take place (on W10M). For example, I get a message on Readit. I get a notification. I can reply to the message directly from the Notifications Center without opening the Readit app. I think the same is the case with SMS. It would be very convenient if it would be possible to have exactly the same functionality on Live Tiles. Take the email app for example. It would be cool if it were possible to reply to emails directly from the live tile. Same for Twitter etc...etc...Is this also not possible technically?

Technically, hardware capability is the only limitation.

In my opinion, being able to do quick simple tasks through the notification center is sufficient; implementing this feature in Live Tiles might be redundant - why not open the app itself and be able to "fully" do what you want in the entire space of the screen rather than in a confined space within a "Tile" since it's the same functionality anyway? Being able to reply to SMS through the notification/action center is a step in the right direction; let's hope that Microsoft will enable this feature for all other similar apps.

Again, the idea is neat and interesting - gives the user experience a fresh feel, giving depth to the definition of "live" in "live tile". Maybe a little demo video would enlighten us more on the idea and how it could look like. :smile:

VivekRabara

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Technically, hardware capability is the only limitation.

In my opinion, being able to do quick simple tasks through the notification center is sufficient; implementing this feature in Live Tiles might be redundant - why not open the app itself and be able to "fully" do what you want in the entire space of the screen rather than in a confined space within a "Tile" since it's the same functionality anyway? Being able to reply to SMS through the notification/action center is a step in the right direction; let's hope that Microsoft will enable this feature for all other similar apps.

Again, the idea is neat and interesting - gives the user experience a fresh feel, giving depth to the definition of "live" in "live tile". Maybe a little demo video would enlighten us more on the idea and how it could look like. :smile:

Basic purpose of this is to reduce the clicks while reaching to main goal. It can be anything like mail, msg, etc...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb