Some apps refuse to launch on Windows 10 mobile (Lumia 950)

Paganmoon

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Since a few days back some apps simply refuse to start on my phone. For instance Spotify, my bank authentication app and the Microsoft Authenticator. When I select one of these apps the start screen "clears" showing only the background, and then nothing happens.
Apparently I'm really still on the start screen, as if I press where for instance my Outlook tile is, Outlook starts.
Reboot/soft reset didn't help. But uninstalling Spotify and reinstalling it, made it functional once again. I however don't want to uninstall and reinstall my authenticators as then I'd have to set them up from scratch again. Anyone know of a way to "repair" apps without reinstalling them?
I've also now entered the fast ring on the insider program, figured maybe upgrading the OS would magically repair the apps, but no luck there either.

Not allowed to post links so can't link to the screencap of how it looks, but it's basically just the background with the navigation bar at the bottom visible.

rfr0st

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Them not working may have to be due to the apps not being updated and on the .63 firmware?

Which phone are you using?
My 950XL doesn't seem to like some apps when i tried to install them on .29, but Spotify is working and here in Sweden the bank auth. app aswell.

Paganmoon

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've got a 950, was running on the official released .29 (with the latest firmware). And all the apps were working without an issue, up until 2 days ago, when I noticed Spotify suddenly wouldn't start (it worked the day before). Spotify now works again, after reinstalling, and I'm guessing the bank auth app (Mobilt BankID, so same as yours), will start working again if I uninstall it, and reinstall it, but then I'd have to set it up from scratch, and the same with the Microsoft Authenticator. So I'm hoping to find some fix that can repair the apps without having to re-install them.

So it's been working without a problem since I got the phone, stopped working a few days ago. So not really related to firmware or the OS version.

rfr0st

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've got a 950, was running on the official released .29 (with the latest firmware). And all the apps were working without an issue, up until 2 days ago, when I noticed Spotify suddenly wouldn't start (it worked the day before). Spotify now works again, after reinstalling, and I'm guessing the bank auth app (Mobilt BankID, so same as yours), will start working again if I uninstall it, and reinstall it, but then I'd have to set it up from scratch, and the same with the Microsoft Authenticator. So I'm hoping to find some fix that can repair the apps without having to re-install them.

So it's been working without a problem since I got the phone, stopped working a few days ago. So not really related to firmware or the OS version.

That's really weird.
Updated to .69 and reverted to .29 yesterday due to a huge battery drain probably caused by the new version.
Even did a hard reset with no backups afterwards and now I'm experiencing a similar behaviour with apps not opening (Lumia offers).
Some apps are even "force closing" after installing and won't even start.
A reboot solved it.

Mobilt BankID is working fine, installed today. No reinstallation needed like for Lumia offers.

No problems with Groove and Spotify so far.

David Bladen

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Groove is broken on .63(930)for me, it won't open at all. That's the only issue I have so there is no way I'm hard resetting just for that, I rather just switch back to Spotify. MS really need to list Groove in the store so it can be reinstalled if necessary. I mean it's not exactly feature packed so how do they break it so often.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Icon after doing a hard reset and restore yesterday. Ended up uninstalling the faulty apps, then reinstalling. They are all working now.

Paganmoon

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Well, in a stroke of good luck, my phone automatically rebooted yesterday evening, now all apps are working again. Strangely doing a manual reboot and soft reset hadn't helped, but when it "crashed" (as I suspect it did), everything is functional again. Go figure...

albe231

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You can get groove to work again by going through the store to music and selecting the music link from the main page there and by also opening a song from the file viewer.

krayziehustler

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You can get groove to work again by going through the store to music and selecting the music link from the main page there and by also opening a song from the file viewer.

Thanks you just saved me. Was losing my patience. But as WP users we always find a way around our problems lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa