Why wait for WM10 on older phones?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not sure if you are serious or afraid of reality, you do keep abreast of the latest headlines do you not?

Yes, I do read headlines as my line of work involves technology. But then, I think most of the people are ignoring the headlines from Microsoft that they are serious about the OS and that's the reason they are trying to develop it further.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I really don't think Microsoft should be stooping to the already poor levels of Samsung and other Android OEMs update-wise.

And Apple still holds the crown for longest supported device with the 2011 4S.

Microsoft could've given them a run for their money, but we know how the WP7 situation turned out.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily, if some are having good results on say an 830 why can't everyone, obviously it is doable no?

It is the same version on every 830 but only some have good experience. Yes it is doable but the way everyone install the update is not the same. That is due to neglect and that leads to more complaints.

I really don't think Microsoft should be stooping to the already poor levels of Samsung and other Android OEMs update-wise.

And Apple still holds the crown for longest supported device with the 2011 4S.

Microsoft could've given them a run for their money, but we know how the WP7 situation turned out.

xandros9, yes it is true. Microsoft could have given Apple (in fact any OS), a run for their money. And, I still believe they can do it in the very near future.

I am looking for more possibilities that Microsoft could come out with, to ensure a good experience for every user and every device. But, looking at the posts, its only a handful of people who say the older phones must be updated and no one has posted a good strategy to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
So doesn't that mean that there is an issue on running the OS on older devices and that means the devices must not upgraded?

Lord have mercy...
If win10 run flawless with zero issues on the current 950's with cutting edge hardware I'd say you are justified with your opinion but it does not. It means Microsoft released win10 mobile far to early with bugs and lack of polish on ALL hardware no matter the phone..

And contrary to ios9 slowing down it's older hardware my icon feels like a fresh phone and is pretty snappy.

We are now beating a dog to death with a straw broom and I am glad Microsoft does not see things your way.. However I'm sure one of the forum members are eventually advise you that win10 mobile was mainly developed on this OLDER hardware you are kicking to the curb because nothing else was available. The 950's were just added to the insider program recently.. ;)

Feel free to buy a 950. I do not have that option as it will not work on Verizon, however I am enjoying win10 on my icon immensely though in your opinion it should not qualify for the upgrade.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Lord have mercy...
If win10 run flawless with zero issues on the current 950's with cutting edge hardware I'd say you are justified with your opinion but it does not. It means Microsoft released win10 mobile far to early with bugs and lack of polish on ALL hardware no matter the phone..

And contrary to ios9 slowing down it's older hardware my icon feels like a fresh phone and is pretty snappy.

We are now beating a dog to death with a straw broom and I am glad Microsoft does not see things your way..

Feel free to buy a 950. I do not have that option as it will not work on Verizon, however I am enjoying win10 on my icon immensely though in your opinion it should not qualify for the upgrade.

Have a nice day.

Neither do I have an option to buy 950/950XL as it is not available in my country yet.

So from your post, it is quite evident that everyone is reacting due to their impatience in waiting, until the OS is bug free.

Good to hear that your Icon is snappy.

Have a nice day too.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OP, you are relating observations to each other in arbitrary ways which are completely unrelated. Most complaints are actually coming from L950 owners, more so than from owners of older models. If you want to update only those devices that aren't having issues, it would in fact be more logical to update only the older devices, as the newest ones appear to be having far more issues.

Most of the complaints on older devices are related to patience, or a lack thereof. That has nothing to do with the technical matters of hardware or software.

Lastly, MS' mobile team desperately needs to start doing more things better than the competition. W10M now allegedly supports an architecture where MS should be able to update almost anything OS related without requiring carrier approval. Now that MS is gaining the ability to deliver iOS level support, it would be the absolute worst time to stoop to android-like levels of non-support. :straight:

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
OP, you are relating observations to each other in arbitrary ways which are completely unrelated. Most complaints are actually coming from L950 owners, more so than from any other device model. It would in fact be more logical to conclude the opposite, namely that MS should only update old devices, as the newest ones appear to be the ones with the most problems.
Most of the complaints on older devices are related to patience, or a lack thereof. That has nothing to do with the technical matters of hardware or software.
Lastly, MS' mobile team desperately needs to start doing more things better than the competition. W10M now allegedly supports an architecture where MS should be able to update almost anything OS related without requiring carrier approval. Now that MS is gaining the ability to deliver iOS level support, it would be the absolut worst time to stoop to android levels of non-support. 

@a5cent : I like your comment, particularly, the last line.
Yes, 950/950XL owners are complaining about device quality and due that the OS not running well or having issues. However, older device owners have complained about every build not working well on their devices. I have tried to help some of them.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
My thoughts

One of the best features of windows phones has been the ability to receive updates for the phone os. Admittedly the updates roll out pretty slow for most regions and it's only OTA. But the updates helped a lot. When word flow came out with 8.1, that was one of the best features. You couldn't have some models not having it and some having it. It wouldn't be consistent.

Over the past 5 months or so since I've been on insider program for phones, since build 10512, I've noticed a general and positive trend.

The number of issues has reduced with each update most of the time
The number of bugs are reducing
Features have increased
Battery life is getting better

Initially insiders were demanding new builds every week. Not a day would go by when someone wouldn't ask when the next update it since they had so many issues with that build.

Now? I barely see anyone asking for a new build (except for me but I'm patient). There are a lot more posts on whether this build is stable or not.

For majority of windows insider testers, I believe it is stable and the situation has improved considerably since the early days of 100xx builds.

This W10M has been tested a lot on the current lumias like 520, 640, 730, 920, 1020 and others.

If we can run W10M on our phones and the running is getting better with each build, then surely our phones will be quite ready for the official update. Some phones are being left behind like those with 4GB internal memory but the vast majority can upgrade and should upgrade

To not upgrade would be an injustice as they would miss out on all the improvements and features that have been incorporated into W10M like better mail app, office apps, action center, video app, music app, screen scaling etc

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Continuation:

I complained a lot when I was on 8.1 when there was no cellular setting in action center. Now it's there in W10M
I wanted office apps I could use with more functionality - I've got that in W10M
Better screen scaling - here
Better action center - here
better settings layout - much better now
better mail app - I no longer use the browser to access emails as I used to in 8.1
Regular app updates - quite frequent now with features added quickly

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Majority of users where I am aren't aware of the new W10M nor the bugs. But when the update starts rolling out to users here after March, most won't hesitate to upgrade since by that time the OS would be 99% bug free and firmware updates should be arriving as well

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
@a5cent : I like your comment, particularly, the last line.
Yes, 950/950XL owners are complaining about device quality and due that the OS not running well or having issues. However, older device owners have complained about every build not working well on their devices. I have tried to help some of them.
Yes, people have done that.... in the past (although many of those issues were expected or could have been avoided with a hard reset). Today? Not so much. I feel the enthusiasm for W10M is rather low (some like it, some don't), but almost all of the purely W10M related technical issues are gone... except on L950 devices (although that seems to be getting better too).

Anyway, considering what W10M actually does, there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't run perfectly well on x20 series devices. Why? Because there is nothing in W10M over WP8.0 that would inherently require better hardware (except continuum which is only available on the L950/XL).

Hardware is just less abstract and easier to grasp than software. That's why blaming the hardware is the typical go-to move. However, asking whether W10M's software is good enough to run on any hardware is the far better question. If you think not, then the best solution would be to improve the software, as more efficient software benefits everyone, including those with high end devices who'll get even better performance and battery life. That 's the far better solution than just throwing all the hardware W10M is (hypothetically) too fat to run on under the bus. Because, again, there is absolutely nothing in W10M (except continuum) that inherently requires powerful hardware.

Last edited:

arjan wolthuis

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I heard a while ago that smartphone makers need to supply there phones at least 2 years after launch of that phone with updates. In ms case this is W10 M. So models like the 520 are older than those 2 years. Now I don't say this device shouldn't get an upgrade. But a model like the 640 that was released May last year, falls in those 2 years. So ms needs to offer an upgrade tho that device

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Dear Friends

If you may agree, please sticky this post, cos I managed to get people to talk good about Microsoft in this post. All your posts were very positive. I think this is the only thread that is positive even on the second page.

Thanks to all of you.

I do agree that Microsoft must update all phones. Now atleast everyone complaining can read this post and know, how Microsoft is working for a noble cause.

@Charles Brown8: Thanks and I was working too but wanted this thread to have as much positive posts as possible.

Akhil_007

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
windows 10 is a service now that will be given to all devices having wp8 or later. MS itself clarified that.
and by looking at the scenario ,the market share MS dont have any other choice.
they need to keep their customers happy so they cant forget the old phones(mine lumia 720)

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Dear Friends

If you may agree, please sticky this post, cos I managed to get people to talk good about Microsoft in this post. All your posts were very positive. I think this is the only thread that is positive even on the second page.

Thanks to all of you.

I do agree that Microsoft must update all phones. Now atleast everyone complaining can read this post and know, how Microsoft is working for a noble cause.

@Charles Brown8: Thanks and I was working too but wanted this thread to have as much positive posts as possible.

Lol... Slick.... Had me scratching my head on this end... Have a good day :)

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
So doesn't that mean that there is an issue on running the OS on older devices and that means the devices must not upgraded?

Unfinished OS ! Why do you have to jump the gun on here ? Why do people build up so much even before stuff has even happened ??
Don't you see ?? if there is an issue, then its not optimized for that device yet ! W10M is an ongoing process and you are making a statement even before the public update is release ??

Take for example an alpha/beta build of a game like early access. You buy it and play it. Too many bugs and you ditch it. Months later, a huge update comes. With that update, the game is optimized for all sorts of hardware. The game works fine.

Even W10M on 550/950/950XL is "unfinished" . I know there is never going to be a finished version of W10M as windows is changing to WaaS.
But look what happened in PC. First the insider builds came, then after many builds, a final build 10240 (stable enough) was released as a public update (7-10 / 8.1-10).
From what I believe, there is going to be a similar kinda stuff going to happen for windows phones as well.

MSFT has to do all phones at once, thats going to be a big load of work. From my understanding, their work started on phones which were released at the time when W10M was announced.
While in android, google needs to look after the nexus devices and only needs to release a base ROM or something like that upon which different OEMS can tailor their UI, device drivers etc etc. (I'm not sure if I'm correct about this, but this is the whats on my mind regarding updates).

Bottom line is, if the insider version works on your phone (regardless of old/new and keeping aside the bugs) , then the public release version WILL WORK JUST FINE !
Because by then it would have undergone so many changes.

Forgive my bad grammar and improper sentence construction. English is not my first language.
But you get what I mean right ??

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ms is building Windows 10 to be able to run on any device, so those that can run it, they will put it on there. Why not? Do you honestly think people will just go buy a windows 10 phone after they have been abandoned? It's more likely they will like windows 10 on their current old device and may actually update to a better device and use windows 10 if they like it. How many apps will come out if no one is running windows 10 except brand new devices? There is already a market share that they want to convert to the latest windows. This will allow them to maintain it and build on it. The apps will come if there's more users on windows 10. 8.1 will be gone, the store will be maintained likely for the few users that can't upgrade but they won't get any new apps. And that's sad for them but sometimes you can't let current tech get in the way of the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss