So, is W10 mobile ok on a primary device without a computer to rollback with?

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
This is a really silly question I know, but man watching everyone else get to play with the new software is really getting on my nerves. I have a 640, and my computer just died. I do not want to void my warranty, nor brick my phone.

Just some fellow 640 advice please.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
without a PC to use the roll back software just in case something goofy happens, I would not risk it.
if its your primary or only phone then 100% would not risk it without a pc to use the roll back tool.
Just my $0.02 worth

L928 and L929 coming soon

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
without a PC to use the roll back software just in case something goofy happens, I would not risk it.
if its your primary or only phone then 100% would not risk it without a pc to use the roll back tool.
Just my $0.02 worth

L928 and L929 coming soon

I knew it'd be to risky... Sucks that I have to wait a full month till RTM.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
You could always check with friends and/or neighbors to see if one of them would be willing to load the recovery software and let you use their PC for the little time it would take to recover your phone if something were to happen. I personally haven't bricked a phone with the insider program, but I'm sure it could happen to anyone. You are better off if you have a backup plan in place.

rocknrollover

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I did same thing my 640 is my daily driver and only source of internet I installed w10 few months back no real issues to complain about so far everything is running smooth.

Anix90s

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
This is a really silly question I know, but man watching everyone else get to play with the new software is really getting on my nerves. I have a 640, and my computer just died. I do not want to void my warranty, nor brick my phone.

I use my L640 with W10 10586.63 as a daily driver. It's quite OK now to use the W10 as a daily driver. Battery is ok, apps run smoothly...overall there's no complaint. If you are a fan of rich capture of lumia camera, then you will be disappointed with W10 as the Camera is little buggy when it comes to rich capture.
I would suggest that you can try it. I am quite sure that you won't be willing to roll back to 8.1 once you are all set with W10 :)

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

The first requirement for moving from WP 8.0/8/1 to WM10, is a PC, because, in order to avoid all the issues its better to back up all the stuff (like photos, documents etc) on your phone to a PC and then hard reset the device. Then do a clean install (do not restore from back up) of WM10.

Rugish Dapeca

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
"Do it", "Don't do it"... You'll see this argument all over the forums. Some people have major issues with the insider updates, while others (like me) have little to no issues. Some of it can be attributed to the OS itself (code doesn't work right on any phone) and some is down to the individual phones (ROM revision or the hardware in the phone doesn't play well with the OS). If you don't have a PC available to restore the 8.1 OS then you are taking a risk trying the insider builds. But it's not a sure bet either way until you actually try it. Schr?dinger's phone perhaps?

So I think those that are saying to try it (with the fallback PC of course) are saying "The OS seems stable enough to me when it is running on my phone". Those that are saying the OS is not stable are saying pretty much the same thing, that it doesn't work for them on their phones. And since the user base is so diverse, as is the proliferation of each phone model even down to what apps are installed and being used, each point of view is actually valid.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
"Do it", "Don't do it"... You'll see this argument all over the forums. Some people have major issues with the insider updates, while others (like me) have little to no issues. Some of it can be attributed to the OS itself (code doesn't work right on any phone) and some is down to the individual phones (ROM revision or the hardware in the phone doesn't play well with the OS). If you don't have a PC available to restore the 8.1 OS then you are taking a risk trying the insider builds. But it's not a sure bet either way until you actually try it. Schr?dinger's phone perhaps?

So I think those that are saying to try it (with the fallback PC of course) are saying "The OS seems stable enough to me when it is running on my phone". Those that are saying the OS is not stable are saying pretty much the same thing, that it doesn't work for them on their phones. And since the user base is so diverse, as is the proliferation of each phone model even down to what apps are installed and being used, each point of view is actually valid.
That was some great analysis there (especially with Schr?dinger). I'm gonna hold off. It pisses me off that the official update is still at least half of month away, and 8.1 is nice, but monotonous and redundant after a while. I don't want to just play with the new software, but there are actually a few features I need.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I am going to side with the "don't do it" camp here. Just don't. Not worth it.

Email notifications don't work, heck, even SMS notifications stopped working for some reason! I use my phone to get notified about work-related emails or texts, but now that even that part of the system doesn't work I've lost my patience with it. I need a reliable phone damn it, not a pocket version of Windows 10.

Not to mention the terrible battery life.

Another thing, Windows Camera, sigh... Just why??? Before, my Lumia 930 used to take beautiful pictures. However, now that Microsoft has decided, for some reason, to shut down Lumia Camera and replace it with that horrible Windows Camera, I'm embarrassed. Embarrassed to show my friends those awful pictures my 20 Mpx phone is taking now.

And those things are just the tip of the iceberg of problems I've had since I "upgraded". Just stay with the good old 8.1 people.

Before, I would recommend Windows Phone 8.1 to anyone, now I just try to avoid talking about it because it is embarrassing how bad and unreliable w10m is.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Eh.

The question is not "how well it will work?" but "what are the odds it will work well?" which aren't terrific. A hard reset can help significantly though.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I use my L640 with W10 10586.63 as a daily driver. It's quite OK now to use the W10 as a daily driver. Battery is ok, apps run smoothly...overall there's no complaint. If you are a fan of rich capture of lumia camera, then you will be disappointed with W10 as the Camera is little buggy when it comes to rich capture.
I would suggest that you can try it. I am quite sure that you won't be willing to roll back to 8.1 once you are all set with W10 :)

Did you hard reset

syscrh

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you purchase a used Lenovo ThinkPad (ThinkPads are easier to get than other brands and run with newer operating systems fine for a long time)? You can get older models for under 100 € (~ 100 $).
e. g.: Lenovo ThinkPad X61t (2007-2009) runs Windows 10 x64 fine and sells (at least in German ThinkPad forums) for 90 €.

That's even more affordable than a new Windows phone and you've got a decent convertible laptop as a backup if something happens to your phone.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you purchase a used Lenovo ThinkPad (ThinkPads are easier to get than other brands and run with newer operating systems fine for a long time)? You can get older models for under 100 ? (~ 100 $).
e. g.: Lenovo ThinkPad X61t (2007-2009) runs Windows 10 x64 fine and sells (at least in German ThinkPad forums) for 90 ?.

That's even more affordable than a new Windows phone and you've got a decent convertible laptop as a backup if something happens to your phone.
Do you have a link to the product? Btw I live in the US.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo