950 isn't downloading my text messages from backup?

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I owned a Samsung Ativ S Neo on Sprint. Switched to AT&T and snagged the 950. I didn't restore my phone from back-up. Started fresh.

My phone pulled down only a handful of messages. A few from 2013. Two from New Year's Eve 2015. That's it. It's been 36 hours. I had hoped it would restore the rest over night.

Any way to force the phone to pull down my saved message?

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Following up on my own issue... there isn't a way to force the download. So I got the contacts+message backup app on both my Lumia 950 and Samsung Ativ S Neo.

I backed up the neo to my micro sd, and popped it into the Lumia 950. Ran the app and it restored my messages.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Same here... I hard reset last night to roll back to production WM 10 via the recovery tool. Everything is all set and working other than SMS download. Nothing has come through. Over the past 20 hrs, I have set it to all 3 settings and no texts. :-( Why does Microsoft make it so hard?

richardeid

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
When I first switched to the insider preview some time ago I had sporadic restore of messages happening. I gave up on paying attention to it to see if more had restored over time and I would notice that, literally, months would pass and I'd see a new(old) conversation had restored at some point that I knew wasn't there during the initial restore.

I reported this in the feedback app but like so many other issues it gained no traction and probably wasn't even noticed but the devs that may or may not review problems being reported.

You'll probably get all your messages restored but it can take up to months to get them. Good luck. Can't wait to see the satisfaction levels if W10M is released tomorrow. For the sake of their customers maybe carriers will hold up pushing it out. There are still so many unadressed issues being flat out ignored by Microsoft.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Called Microsoft Support about the issue. On the phone with them now. Why did I do that?!?!? :angry: I'm having to explain to her how text backups work. She keeps telling me to go to OneDrive to see my texts. I've told her 7 times that they cannot be viewed there. She finally put me on hold to talk to tech support. I thought that was who I was talking to! End rant...

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Called Microsoft Support about the issue. On the phone with them now. Why did I do that?!?!? :angry: I'm having to explain to her how text backups work. She keeps telling me to go to OneDrive to see my texts. I've told her 7 times that they cannot be viewed there. She finally put me on hold to talk to tech support. I thought that was who I was talking to! End rant...

Sad, isn't it?

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Please let us know if you hear anything back on this from support. I reset a few days ago using wart to get off Redstone. Noticed that no texts restored and my outlook contacts didn't restore either. Gave it a few days and still nothing restored. Just finished flashing again to see what happens. Been a few hours and text haven't restored and outlook contacts still aren't there. Have tried forcing sync of the account multiple times already.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Update: She was no help and I think she just gave up, haha. She told me that she would escalate my case to level 2 tech support and they would call me within 96 hours. That's Monday. Thanks Microsoft!

I may just go back to the recent redstone update to see if that gets them back.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Update: She was no help and I think she just gave up, haha. She told me that she would escalate my case to level 2 tech support and they would call me within 96 hours. That's Monday. Thanks Microsoft!

I may just go back to the recent redstone update to see if that gets them back.

Sounds about right as for their resolution lol.

Crazy enough, my wife just got a replacement ATT 950. I set her phone up and all text restore fine, outlook contacts are there properly linked for Microsoft messaging. Not sure how or why either an that's my bigger issue, not being able to se Skype messaging in the sms app. Maybe going to Redstone screwed up our accounts some how.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Sooooooo..... Microsoft Tech Support Level Two, as she called it, never called me. Haha. If i don't laugh, I'll get irate. So, i'll be calling them back, again, this Friday. I'm going to hound them until I break or they do. :)

Ycore

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue. No matter how many times I restore I only get 1-2 months worth of text messages. The really frustrating thing is that if I download Windows phone message backup at the URL below I can download and view ALL my text messages on a PC, so I KNOW they are there, but they won't restore from backup and unfortunately the tool has no way to restore to the phone.. I would be interested to hear Microsoft's solution..

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...-message-backup%2F9nblggh2srtp&token=mbn33MOF

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
so sorry to hear about our issue.
Did you force backup on your old phone?
And where are those M$ defenders who say W10 Mobile doesn't work this or that on those old phones?
Even in this pretty damn new phone, W10 Mobile doesn't work properly.
And I'm sure this is a software issue, not hardware issue.

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been really confused on how this text messaging backup works too. I had the same problem where text message weren't showing up. Thankfully, i made a microSD backup by using Transfer My Data. However, after I restored my texts using that app, then W10 started downloading all my texts, and now I had DOUBLES of all my texts. So I deleted everything, hoping that the online-backup would be deleted. Then I restored again from my microSD. Then it started downloading from online again.

I have no clue how this works! I wish there was a way to know, and to also delete duplicates of text messages.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been really confused on how this text messaging backup works too. I had the same problem where text message weren't showing up. Thankfully, i made a microSD backup by using Transfer My Data. However, after I restored my texts using that app, then W10 started downloading all my texts, and now I had DOUBLES of all my texts. So I deleted everything, hoping that the online-backup would be deleted. Then I restored again from my microSD. Then it started downloading from online again.

I have no clue how this works! I wish there was a way to know, and to also delete duplicates of text messages.

If you saved texts on sd card, you must disable Sync in Messages settings. Sync is exactly the backup service that bring you messages when you reset or change phone.
Bettere delete saved SD messages and use Sync so you can backup always your messages

jude24to25

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So this is what happened: Originally, I would backup my text messages using Sync; however, it didn't backup my MMS messages. So, I used Transfer My Data to back things up and transfer things. At some point Microsoft started syncing MMS messages. When this happened, I went back to using Sync. When I switched over the W10, I wasn't sure how the syncing worked, so I made a microSD backup. After installing W10, I noticed that a bunch of texts didn't download, so I thought something was wrong with the syncing. I deleted all the backup material, and restored my microSD backup. And then it started downloading all the online material again.

Long story short, I've had a weird history with Sync.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
So this is what happened: Originally, I would backup my text messages using Sync; however, it didn't backup my MMS messages. So, I used Transfer My Data to back things up and transfer things. At some point Microsoft started syncing MMS messages. When this happened, I went back to using Sync. When I switched over the W10, I wasn't sure how the syncing worked, so I made a microSD backup. After installing W10, I noticed that a bunch of texts didn't download, so I thought something was wrong with the syncing. I deleted all the backup material, and restored my microSD backup. And then it started downloading all the online material again.

Long story short, I've had a weird history with Sync.

I know that, it seems related to some countries and users with "Always" in settings. I ever used "one month" and my messages returned back in minutes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire