The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-29-2016 02:48 PM
215 ... 23456 ...
tools
    The Lumia or MS phone hardware will die but WM10 won't. Universal apps will keep it alive. That's why im waiting on the fire sale of Lumia 950s. ๐Ÿ˜
    01-31-2016 12:25 PM
    The Lumia or MS phone hardware will die but WM10 won't. Universal apps will keep it alive. That's why im waiting on the fire sale of Lumia 950s.
    :) You can wait as long as you want. those fire sales won't happen.
    01-31-2016 12:31 PM
    That is exactly why you can't fall behind... ever. In the tech game, catching up can be and usually is impossible. Even for a juggernaut like Microsoft that has all the resources in the world, INCLUDING a base of over 90 percent global PC users.. they still couldn't do it. In fact, the reason MS is so keen on pushing everyone to Windows 10 is not because they want to better than mobile share, but because they were also starting to lose share in the desktop operating system market. Windows 8/8.1 probably lost about 1% or more market share to Mac. This and the popularity of iPhones creating windows to mac converts, MS realized that their ENTIRE product like is on the chopping block if they don't get their acts together. At this point they are still not out of the woods, they need to write off the whole Windows mobile fiasco and just concentrates and keeping their market share and not losing any more to Mac. Just a few more percent loss could suddenly avalanche to record drops in their PC market share with Apple gaining. In business, nothing is guaranteed, and if you snooze, you lose.
    Remember when Apple fell behind and Microsoft had to bail them out? Yeah, catching up in technology isn't ever impossible. It's not an industry that ever stays the same, the goal posts always move and their is always a chance to make a comeback. Persistence and innovation is key in this marketplace, and right now, Microsoft is showing a lot of both all across the board.
    artybee likes this.
    01-31-2016 12:37 PM
    In the latest AskDan segment, Dan gives a better idea of what is happening. He separates Windows Phone from Windows Mobile, saying that Windows Phone is pretty much done, while Windows Mobile is still alive. He says that the phones we use today, most likely will be very different from what we use in 10 years. That inspired my imagination.
    01-31-2016 04:50 PM
    Alrighty I'm in front of my laptop now.

I believe that such an x86 compatibility layer wouldn't work too well. I did see some work on XDA about such an emulator which impressed me, but the performance cost and probable power cost might be an issue.
    I think the advent of Intel's Clover Trail should've changed the game though.

And at this point I realize I dont have as much counterpoints as I thought I did.

I do want to say that Google didn't really do much to support the manufacturers when they faced legal stuff from, was it Oracle? etc. I'm willing to bet they would refuse to play ball and let the manufacturer's hold the bag to spite Windows.
    I agree that a compatibility layer wouldn't be an end all solution. Apple's Rosetta ran about half native speed, but the good thing about it was that it allowed users to bridge the gap from the old hardware to the new if needed, which is the important part. The older apps tend to run better than the new ones, and imo it's not much different than running high end games vs low end ones. Either way they eat up more energy, or they won't run as well depending on hardware, but choice is a good thing to have. Should have been a feature on the original Surface tablet at a minimum.

You might be right about Google not playing ball, but MS gunning their third parties definitely didn't help their case.
    01-31-2016 05:20 PM
    sevoman, u must be in a different world then the rest of us. pretty much nothing you just said is true.
    01-31-2016 05:26 PM
    Until they fix their limited apps, people will never consider to put up with their buggy OS.
    01-31-2016 08:00 PM
    Until they fix their limited apps
    This has been their problem for 5+ years. I finally accepted the fact that its never going to change and moved on.
    theefman likes this.
    01-31-2016 09:13 PM
    Android has about 85% of the world market share I doubt it will slip. iOS is going to disappear too.
    WP has MS backing it - yes, they might disappear only to reappear again as technology changes (more and more smart devices - clothes, cars, appliances) - maybe a full OS like Win10 (in what ever incarnation in 2020) will makes it's return - and a new WD (Windows Device - could be a phone or implant)

I think they will hang on to the OS. I don't think it is bankrupting them and they have to bide their time and stay in this market. I think Asian markets are their only hope - market like crazy there, and watch it come back to NA and Europe.

Look at Windows OS - still dominating after 20+ years.

Maybe there is hope?

I am hanging on till its over. Maybe Nokia will come back.....?

Mr. V
    telomoyo likes this.
    01-31-2016 09:37 PM
    :) You can wait as long as you want. those fire sales won't happen.
    BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft Corporation has announced today an abrupt and surprising move; the replacement of CEO Satya Nadella and President Brad Smith with Leo Apotheker as new Chief Executive Officer and President.
    Laura Knotek, Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    01-31-2016 09:59 PM
    Where is this news xandros9? I can't seem to see it on any site.
    01-31-2016 10:45 PM
    BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft Corporation has announced today an abrupt and surprising move; the replacement of CEO Satya Nadella and President Brad Smith with Leo Apotheker as new Chief Executive Officer and President.
    Too bad Carly Fiorina jumped into politics โ˜บ
    Maybe she could've saved the ship.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    01-31-2016 10:59 PM
    Continuum is a huge work of code and putting One core everywhere is also another hard work, I don't see WM is going anywhere, they're making it too mature and open that it will run everything you throw on it, as we can see win 32 apps are on their way. We have a unified store is there and it's not like App is only problem of phones, it's also a problem of Windows 10 for desktop or Windows 10 as a whole, if win 32 apps come to Windows Store and Surface Phone runs on that model, I don't see WM will be vanished. I think MS will blur the line between the devices and that would be awesome for everyone.
    02-01-2016 01:46 AM
    This has been their problem for 5+ years. I finally accepted the fact that its never going to change and moved on.
    I admit as well... gonna get another phone and keep my windows phone for whenever they choose to pay attention to the users
    02-01-2016 03:48 AM
    There is ONE single reason why Windows Phone is dying. The lack of Snapchat! No young people I know will consider a phone that not let them use Snapchat!
    So for Microsoft the options are this: Either buy Snapchat, or make Microsoft future mobil run IOS apps.
    02-01-2016 04:04 AM
    There is ONE single reason why Windows Phone is dying. The lack of Snapchat! No young people I know will consider a phone that not let them use Snapchat!
    So for Microsoft the options are this: Either buy Snapchat, or make Microsoft future mobil run IOS apps.
    Im sorry but that is ridiculous. Lack of snapchat is a big problem but nowhere near the only reason or the biggest reason. You grossly overestimate Snapchat relevance.

Android has about 85% of the world market share I doubt it will slip. iOS is going to disappear too.
    WP has MS backing it - yes, they might disappear only to reappear again as technology changes (more and more smart devices - clothes, cars, appliances) - maybe a full OS like Win10 (in what ever incarnation in 2020) will makes it's return - and a new WD (Windows Device - could be a phone or implant)

I think they will hang on to the OS. I don't think it is bankrupting them and they have to bide their time and stay in this market. I think Asian markets are their only hope - market like crazy there, and watch it come back to NA and Europe.

Look at Windows OS - still dominating after 20+ years.

Maybe there is hope?

I am hanging on till its over. Maybe Nokia will come back.....?

Mr. V
    Even in the desktop world, Microsoft ia popular but apple hasn't disappeared. Nor has linux.
    So google having adominant stance in the world of mobile doesn't mean it will be the only one left standing.

I just wont ever have a smartphoneif all we are left with is android.
    Last edited by xandros9; 02-01-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: merging posts
    02-01-2016 04:36 AM
    We should not forget that W10M is part of Windows 10 as a whole.
    So maybe the sales of W10M is decreasing with 49%, W10M will always exist.
    MS rebooted WP (again) only to be in the possibility to create a Windows version that can run on different devices. That includes phones.
    While Windows 10 grows and become more mature, so will W10M.
    First things first, MS is working to get W10(M) as stable as possible in order to give the users a solid OS when WP 8.1 devices are being upgraded.
    Why did the sales decrease (yes we are talking about sales)? Is it not just possible that a lot of WP8.1 users wait for the upgrade? We are getting closer to a release date (somewhere in February). So why buying a new phone, if you can get a new experience for free?
    At least, that is what i think about it.
    02-01-2016 05:15 AM
    Many things are missing from WP side
    02-01-2016 06:55 AM
    MS rebooted WP (again) only to be in the possibility to create a Windows version that can run on different devices. That includes phones.
    First things first, MS is working to get W10(M) as stable as possible in order to give the users a solid OS when WP 8.1 devices are being upgraded.
    Why did the sales decrease (yes we are talking about sales)? Is it not just possible that a lot of WP8.1 users wait for the upgrade? We are getting closer to a release date (somewhere in February). So why buying a new phone, if you can get a new experience for free?
    If Microsoft really consider W10M is a part of W10 as a whole then we are doomed.

Just image if any device running same OS weights the same to them which means a 600+$ phone weights the same with a 100-$ W10 computer stick to the company. Do you hoestly think this is good for phone users who choose this platform? See the development pace difference between W10 and W10M makes me feel W10M is not beloved under the big one windows tent.

They also falling hard in china. The two biggest IM app there (QQ/WeChat) had just announced to stop big development (only bug-fix level of maintainance will keep going on) on WP/WM platform due to the lost of market share. These two apps having 800M/500M active account on line everyday so you can image how marginalization this platform is heading to......
    sevoman and Jonnie LasVegas like this.
    02-01-2016 08:08 AM
    Just image if any device running same OS weights the same to them which means a 600+$ phone weights the same with a 100-$ W10 computer stick to the company. Do you hoestly think this is good for phone users who choose this platform? See the development pace difference between W10 and W10M makes me feel W10M is not beloved under the big one windows tent.
    Apple is selling iPads worth 300$ and an iPhone for 700+$ iPhone, both running the same OS.
    Do you really think people will think twice about wich hw runs wich os version?
    Next to that, Windows 10 and W10M builds are pretty close together. I must admit that a W10 updates not yet results in a W10M update but that is going to change probably this month as MS acknowledged the fact that L950(XL) and L550 are going to receive updates together with Windows 10 PC on patch tuesday as of February 2016. The only reason W10M is not released every time W10 is updated, is because the OS is not yet on the majority of the devices. That will change once W10M is rolled out to WP8.1 devices (also during February 2016)
    So we'll all have to wait and see about that.

They also falling hard in china. The two biggest IM app there (QQ/WeChat) had just announced to stop big development (only bug-fix level of maintainance will keep going on) on WP/WM platform due to the lost of market share. These two apps having 800M/500M active account on line everyday so you can image how marginalization this platform is heading to......
    China never was a big WP8.1 player, Although they have users around the globe, QQ/WeChat is only targetting the China market.
    En plus, This friday Vaio (previously Sony) is going to show/release their W10M phone.
    02-01-2016 09:08 AM
    Some of my son's friends jumped on the MS-train with L640, L950 etc..., just because of that, they left SnapChat and swithed to Telegram. So don't think Snapchat is inevitable...

Project IslandWood is the answer on this one!
    02-01-2016 09:14 AM
    WM was never meant to compete. nobody expected it and relying on it is only going to get you frustrated. Microsoft plays this game smart and controls the part of the industry that matters. Without MS all platforms would lack certain functionality without certain apps and patent agreements. WP is a niche market and will always suffer at the onset of new releases. mostly apps suffer and platform has to grow out of a beta. those who use WP and stay go in understanding this but also see something that dominates the industry either now or in the future.
    Excellent points. Microsoft DOES need to have "placeholders" in various markets regardless of whether they are competitive or not. The danger in that is the damage it does to the Microsoft brand. If Microsoft is perceived as a "loser" in the mobile space then psychologically they may be seen as "losers" in other areas. If their offerings in the mobile space are "weak", that perception can spread to other areas.

If WP is indeed a niche market then they need to more clearly define that niche. If it is for the mobile enterprise space then they need to more finely tune their offerings to fit. Business professionals don't need a 64MP camera. But they DO need a solid stable of mobile apps that reliably interact with their company's intranet.

That whole "one OS to rule them all" is a classic Microsoft chestnut. They've been promising that for DECADES and the closest thing they've come to that is to include the word "Windows" in every operating system name.

Don't buy it. They trot that out periodically whenever they are rearranging the deck chairs. One of the reasons given for every platform "reboot" they engage in is to better position themselves for"platform convergence". It never happens. It won't happen this time either.
    02-01-2016 09:25 AM
    Agree. Microsoft's constant phone OS reboots has driven away developers and even loyal fans, while gambling big on a mobile platform that may become obsolete if Windows phone dies.

Ever notice how phone screen sizes are getting so big.? At this rate all but the biggest tablets will be a redundancy to most users, and a laptop more practical for real work. They waited too long to merge phone and desktop, and now are in danger of trying to make the desktop look like an obsolete device.
    telomoyo likes this.
    02-01-2016 10:36 AM
    Where is this news xandros9? I can't seem to see it on any site.
    It was a joke. I made it up in reference to the death of webOS, which was largely blamed on Apotheker as he clumsily tried to transform HP into a services company if I recall correctly.

Im sorry but that is ridiculous. Lack of snapchat is a big problem but nowhere near the only reason or the biggest reason. You grossly overestimate Snapchat relevance.
    Well, it was the biggest problem IMHO 2-3 years ago with the younger demographic (when 8.1 was otherwise competitive) - I would say 30 and under, but you're technically correct now. It's no longer the biggest reason. I believe the current state of 10 Mobile is the biggest impediment now. (See Pocketnow's 950 XL review)

Out here at this university I'm at I've seen maybe 2 Lumia 520's out of a sea of who-knows-how-many-people-I've-seen-with-a-phone. (interestingly, Android phones are much more rare than I'd expect, but given the demographics I guess I'm not surprised.)

Also Snapchat's relevance with my peers cannot be overstated. Sure its not the end-all solution, but its quite the heavyweight and right now 10 Mobile doesn't quite have the counterweight. (there was a time where the performance and design of 8.1 > Snapchat and some other apps, but not anymore.)
    I wouldn't be too surprised if some people gave up Safari for it actually.
    02-01-2016 10:55 AM
    ^ Agree on all counts Xandros9
    Also learned that not everyone on this site follows tech news ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Too bad Carly Fiorina jumped into politics โ˜บ
    Maybe she could've saved the ship.
    Nice way of saying "it could be far worse" ๐Ÿ˜‰
    02-01-2016 11:28 AM
215 ... 23456 ...