(Deja Vu) Palm all over again?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Android has about 85% of the world market share I doubt it will slip. iOS is going to disappear too.
WP has MS backing it - yes, they might disappear only to reappear again as technology changes (more and more smart devices - clothes, cars, appliances) - maybe a full OS like Win10 (in what ever incarnation in 2020) will makes it's return - and a new WD (Windows Device - could be a phone or implant)

I think they will hang on to the OS. I don't think it is bankrupting them and they have to bide their time and stay in this market. I think Asian markets are their only hope - market like crazy there, and watch it come back to NA and Europe.

Look at Windows OS - still dominating after 20+ years.

Maybe there is hope?

I am hanging on till its over. Maybe Nokia will come back.....?

Mr. V

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 fire sale

:) You can wait as long as you want. those fire sales won't happen.

BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft Corporation has announced today an abrupt and surprising move; the replacement of CEO Satya Nadella and President Brad Smith with Leo Apotheker as new Chief Executive Officer and President.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 fire sale

BREAKING NEWS: Microsoft Corporation has announced today an abrupt and surprising move; the replacement of CEO Satya Nadella and President Brad Smith with Leo Apotheker as new Chief Executive Officer and President.

Too bad Carly Fiorina jumped into politics ☺
Maybe she could've saved the ship.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Continuum is a huge work of code and putting One core everywhere is also another hard work, I don't see WM is going anywhere, they're making it too mature and open that it will run everything you throw on it, as we can see win 32 apps are on their way. We have a unified store is there and it's not like App is only problem of phones, it's also a problem of Windows 10 for desktop or Windows 10 as a whole, if win 32 apps come to Windows Store and Surface Phone runs on that model, I don't see WM will be vanished. I think MS will blur the line between the devices and that would be awesome for everyone.

abel46

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
There is ONE single reason why Windows Phone is dying. The lack of Snapchat! No young people I know will consider a phone that not let them use Snapchat!
So for Microsoft the options are this: Either buy Snapchat, or make Microsoft future mobil run IOS apps.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There is ONE single reason why Windows Phone is dying. The lack of Snapchat! No young people I know will consider a phone that not let them use Snapchat!
So for Microsoft the options are this: Either buy Snapchat, or make Microsoft future mobil run IOS apps.

Im sorry but that is ridiculous. Lack of snapchat is a big problem but nowhere near the only reason or the biggest reason. You grossly overestimate Snapchat relevance.

Android has about 85% of the world market share I doubt it will slip. iOS is going to disappear too.
WP has MS backing it - yes, they might disappear only to reappear again as technology changes (more and more smart devices - clothes, cars, appliances) - maybe a full OS like Win10 (in what ever incarnation in 2020) will makes it's return - and a new WD (Windows Device - could be a phone or implant)

I think they will hang on to the OS. I don't think it is bankrupting them and they have to bide their time and stay in this market. I think Asian markets are their only hope - market like crazy there, and watch it come back to NA and Europe.

Look at Windows OS - still dominating after 20+ years.

Maybe there is hope?

I am hanging on till its over. Maybe Nokia will come back.....?

Mr. V
Even in the desktop world, Microsoft ia popular but apple hasn't disappeared. Nor has linux.
So google having adominant stance in the world of mobile doesn't mean it will be the only one left standing.

I just wont ever have a smartphoneif all we are left with is android.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
We should not forget that W10M is part of Windows 10 as a whole.
So maybe the sales of W10M is decreasing with 49%, W10M will always exist.
MS rebooted WP (again) only to be in the possibility to create a Windows version that can run on different devices. That includes phones.
While Windows 10 grows and become more mature, so will W10M.
First things first, MS is working to get W10(M) as stable as possible in order to give the users a solid OS when WP 8.1 devices are being upgraded.
Why did the sales decrease (yes we are talking about sales)? Is it not just possible that a lot of WP8.1 users wait for the upgrade? We are getting closer to a release date (somewhere in February). So why buying a new phone, if you can get a new experience for free?
At least, that is what i think about it.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
MS rebooted WP (again) only to be in the possibility to create a Windows version that can run on different devices. That includes phones.
First things first, MS is working to get W10(M) as stable as possible in order to give the users a solid OS when WP 8.1 devices are being upgraded.
Why did the sales decrease (yes we are talking about sales)? Is it not just possible that a lot of WP8.1 users wait for the upgrade? We are getting closer to a release date (somewhere in February). So why buying a new phone, if you can get a new experience for free?
If Microsoft really consider W10M is a part of W10 as a whole then we are doomed.

Just image if any device running same OS weights the same to them which means a 600+$ phone weights the same with a 100-$ W10 computer stick to the company. Do you hoestly think this is good for phone users who choose this platform? See the development pace difference between W10 and W10M makes me feel W10M is not beloved under the big one windows tent.

They also falling hard in china. The two biggest IM app there (QQ/WeChat) had just announced to stop big development (only bug-fix level of maintainance will keep going on) on WP/WM platform due to the lost of market share. These two apps having 800M/500M active account on line everyday so you can image how marginalization this platform is heading to......

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Just image if any device running same OS weights the same to them which means a 600+$ phone weights the same with a 100-$ W10 computer stick to the company. Do you hoestly think this is good for phone users who choose this platform? See the development pace difference between W10 and W10M makes me feel W10M is not beloved under the big one windows tent.

Apple is selling iPads worth 300$ and an iPhone for 700+$ iPhone, both running the same OS.
Do you really think people will think twice about wich hw runs wich os version?
Next to that, Windows 10 and W10M builds are pretty close together. I must admit that a W10 updates not yet results in a W10M update but that is going to change probably this month as MS acknowledged the fact that L950(XL) and L550 are going to receive updates together with Windows 10 PC on patch tuesday as of February 2016. The only reason W10M is not released every time W10 is updated, is because the OS is not yet on the majority of the devices. That will change once W10M is rolled out to WP8.1 devices (also during February 2016)
So we'll all have to wait and see about that.

They also falling hard in china. The two biggest IM app there (QQ/WeChat) had just announced to stop big development (only bug-fix level of maintainance will keep going on) on WP/WM platform due to the lost of market share. These two apps having 800M/500M active account on line everyday so you can image how marginalization this platform is heading to......

China never was a big WP8.1 player, Although they have users around the globe, QQ/WeChat is only targetting the China market.
En plus, This friday Vaio (previously Sony) is going to show/release their W10M phone.

Stef8600

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

Some of my son's friends jumped on the MS-train with L640, L950 etc..., just because of that, they left SnapChat and swithed to Telegram. So don't think Snapchat is inevitable...

Project IslandWood is the answer on this one!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
WM was never meant to compete. nobody expected it and relying on it is only going to get you frustrated. Microsoft plays this game smart and controls the part of the industry that matters. Without MS all platforms would lack certain functionality without certain apps and patent agreements. WP is a niche market and will always suffer at the onset of new releases. mostly apps suffer and platform has to grow out of a beta. those who use WP and stay go in understanding this but also see something that dominates the industry either now or in the future.
Excellent points. Microsoft DOES need to have "placeholders" in various markets regardless of whether they are competitive or not. The danger in that is the damage it does to the Microsoft brand. If Microsoft is perceived as a "loser" in the mobile space then psychologically they may be seen as "losers" in other areas. If their offerings in the mobile space are "weak", that perception can spread to other areas.

If WP is indeed a niche market then they need to more clearly define that niche. If it is for the mobile enterprise space then they need to more finely tune their offerings to fit. Business professionals don't need a 64MP camera. But they DO need a solid stable of mobile apps that reliably interact with their company's intranet.

That whole "one OS to rule them all" is a classic Microsoft chestnut. They've been promising that for DECADES and the closest thing they've come to that is to include the word "Windows" in every operating system name.

Don't buy it. They trot that out periodically whenever they are rearranging the deck chairs. One of the reasons given for every platform "reboot" they engage in is to better position themselves for"platform convergence". It never happens. It won't happen this time either.

wplust

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Agree. Microsoft's constant phone OS reboots has driven away developers and even loyal fans, while gambling big on a mobile platform that may become obsolete if Windows phone dies.

Ever notice how phone screen sizes are getting so big.? At this rate all but the biggest tablets will be a redundancy to most users, and a laptop more practical for real work. They waited too long to merge phone and desktop, and now are in danger of trying to make the desktop look like an obsolete device.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Where is this news xandros9? I can't seem to see it on any site.

It was a joke. I made it up in reference to the death of webOS, which was largely blamed on Apotheker as he clumsily tried to transform HP into a services company if I recall correctly.

Im sorry but that is ridiculous. Lack of snapchat is a big problem but nowhere near the only reason or the biggest reason. You grossly overestimate Snapchat relevance.

Well, it was the biggest problem IMHO 2-3 years ago with the younger demographic (when 8.1 was otherwise competitive) - I would say 30 and under, but you're technically correct now. It's no longer the biggest reason. I believe the current state of 10 Mobile is the biggest impediment now. (See Pocketnow's 950 XL review)

Out here at this university I'm at I've seen maybe 2 Lumia 520's out of a sea of who-knows-how-many-people-I've-seen-with-a-phone. (interestingly, Android phones are much more rare than I'd expect, but given the demographics I guess I'm not surprised.)

Also Snapchat's relevance with my peers cannot be overstated. Sure its not the end-all solution, but its quite the heavyweight and right now 10 Mobile doesn't quite have the counterweight. (there was a time where the performance and design of 8.1 > Snapchat and some other apps, but not anymore.)
I wouldn't be too surprised if some people gave up Safari for it actually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo