(Deja Vu) Palm all over again?

sevoman

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, they just sold 40+% less phones this go around.
The CEO said it's unsustainable.
Mac marketshare is slowly increasing.

Forget the phones, let's concentrate on the bread and butter of MS - Windows.
2017- July: Global Operating system marketshare: Mac will have increased and Windows decreased. Calling it now.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Most articles point to the 520 being 3 years old, and being the most popular Lumia. They use this as evidence to show how poor sales performance has been for Microsoft. They forget/omit to mention that the most popular Android and Apple phones are also 3 years old.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, they just sold 40+% less phones this go around.
The CEO said it's unsustainable.
Mac marketshare is slowly increasing.

Forget the phones, let's concentrate on the bread and butter of MS - Windows.
2017- July: Global Operating system marketshare: Mac will have increased and Windows decreased. Calling it now.
I don't think its too far fetched to imagine that if Windows on mobile fails, Windows for consumers will slowly give way to Mac/iOS and android/chrome. I think Windows in business will shrink, but hold the line for a long time though.

kristjanga

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Relax people.
You are right Microsoft has alot of money, but why are they not marketing Windows 10 mobile? Well Windows 10 Mobile is not ready yet. Thats why, I can tell you that they are about to deliver cheaper good windows 10 models phones for the averige user, I have seen them and taken a look at them, yes those where prototypes but they are manufacturing them as we speak ,I can not tell you the name of the device but it has a 6 in it and apple wont like them, they looks awesome and do not look like they where build for proffessional work only but something hote girlfriend/wife would like alot , it is a 1gb phone with i averige but good cpu, BUT it looks awesome and is cheap. A price about 300$ as soon as they are ready with a complete line of nice hardeware and a OS that is ready, they will start marketing.
p.s snapchat was mentioned at my meeting with Microsoft.

Last edited:

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Relax people.
You are right Microsoft has alot of money, but why are they not marketing Windows 10 mobile? Well Windows 10 Mobile is not ready yet. Thats why, I can tell you that they are about to deliver cheaper good windows 10 models phones for the averige user, I have seen them and taken a look at them, yes those where prototypes but they are manufacturing them as we speak ,I can not tell you the name of the device but it has a 6 in it and apple wont like them, they looks awesome and do not look like they where build for proffessional work only but something hote girlfriend/wife would like alot , it is a 1gb phone with i averige but good cpu, BUT it looks awesome and is cheap. A price about 300$ as soon as they are ready with a complete line of nice hardeware and a OS that is ready, they will start marketing.
This is so fake it's laughable!

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Most articles point to the 520 being 3 years old, and being the most popular Lumia. They use this as evidence to show how poor sales performance has been for Microsoft. They forget/omit to mention that the most popular Android and Apple phones are also 3 years old.

But they also don't have a huge decline in sales like Windows Phone. You forgot/omitted that part.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Relax people.

What is the timeframe for this phone to come out? Do you work for Msft?

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat.

Like I said in another forum, sales were poor, as expected. When you don’t release any phones, don’t advertise, and spend more time developing for competing platforms than your own then yeah, you aren’t going to sell anything. MS continues to punch themselves in the face.

With that said, who cares. Who cares if their marketshare is low? If WP/W10M only had 100K users, and they were happy and Microsoft continued to support it, then so what? If it only had .5% marketshare, so what? Why does something need to die just because certain tech writers or fanboys thinks it should. I want W10M and Blackberry to do well. Consumers are going to suffer if iOS and Android are the only two options.

Who cares you said? Devs care! You think they are going to develop for a 0.5% market share platform? Do you think consumers will even consider of this pathetic platform if there is practically no apps available at all?

"Consumers are going to suffer if iOS and Android are the only two options." No they are not! Do you know how interesting Android phones as compared to our latest 950 "flag ship"? Look at all the different capabilities of Android phones - working with stylus, second top screen information, easy note taking when screen is off, TV remote controller, etc etc.... Vast capabilities as compared to windows phones which the only good thing about is its camera, that's it. Continuum? It doesn't seems to gain any popularity at all sadly especially with the highly priced docking station. Also, Continuum works like a crippled RT version of Windows 8.

iOS? Stable and battery friendly. Vast selections of apps that are well polished and update frequently. Static icons? Apparently that doesn't matter at all to the world except for WP fans are hating static icons and are so proud of their "live" tiles.

So enough of all these "who care" attitude. We need to care in order for the platform to pick up speed. We need to screw MS and let them know when they are not making things right. Otherwise, this platform is really as good as dead.

kristjanga

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
No I do not work for Microsoft. But I was in a special event in Iceland (whete Nokia "had" 80% market share and wp8 reached 20+%) where we where shown this device and you will see shorty this device we where shown, and why would I be making this up? I am just pointing it up that ms has bigger plan than just the 950 and 950 xl, and that marketing of Windows 10 Mobile will start when the hadware and operiting software is ready.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

My impression was that it was the low sales and reduced marketshare that was driving the story but I guess this info was tacked on to make it even worse.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Apple is selling iPads worth 300$ and an iPhone for 700+$ iPhone, both running the same OS.
Do you really think people will think twice about wich hw runs wich os version?
Next to that, Windows 10 and W10M builds are pretty close together. I must admit that a W10 updates not yet results in a W10M update but that is going to change probably this month as MS acknowledged the fact that L950(XL) and L550 are going to receive updates together with Windows 10 PC on patch tuesday as of February 2016. The only reason W10M is not released every time W10 is updated, is because the OS is not yet on the majority of the devices. That will change once W10M is rolled out to WP8.1 devices (also during February 2016)
So we'll all have to wait and see about that.
Yes apple mobile devices also running the same OS but they never address that to be a selling point and they keep their software exclusive to their devices and slightly different UX between types of devices yet somehow "link" to each other to build a full ecosystem(a little bit like the old MS "cloud first" concept). Now MS is in the other hand, keep selling this "one OS" conecpt and keep saying mobile market share droppping is OK, they don't care they have bigger plan than this. Do you think this two are sending the same message to the public?

Plus I totally can't understand they knew they have to start over (WP8) when they release WP7, they knew they have to do further renovation when they release WP8 WHY COULD THEY STILL BEHIND THEIR SCHEDULE? Slow react to the market, slow develop pace. They are not showing they turly cared mobile market from the begining. The delay of W10M release due to slow adaption to old devices is totally BS again. MS made the game rule (of what hardware can be used) from WP7 era, there are just limit hardware combination compare to the PC world and they still can made up this nonsense. And people still covering this MS BS is just crazy.

China never was a big WP8.1 player, Although they have users around the globe, QQ/WeChat is only targetting the China market.
En plus, This friday Vaio (previously Sony) is going to show/release their W10M phone.
And china market is the biggest single market in the world. According to IDC, china/US/india covered almost 50% of the global mobile market. MS failed in US, not a player in china and not sure how much they can sell rather than feature phones in india. From where they can climb back?

sevoman

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its too far fetched to imagine that if Windows on mobile fails, Windows for consumers will slowly give way to Mac/iOS and android/chrome. I think Windows in business will shrink, but hold the line for a long time though.

Agreed. Sateya said himself that MS is more keen on becoming a 'services' company rather than a device company. He said he wanted MS to be everywhere, regardless of which device you use. They have rolled out many excellent and top class iOS/Android apps, while the Windows Mobile equivalent of those apps pale in comparison and get less updates if any. They made a deal with Samsung to include MS pre-loaded apps on Galaxy phones (last year) and have updated office 2016 for Mac. Again, all this despite their mobile OS not really every becoming polished (I have 3 lumias, including the 950 so please no one say that Windows Mobile is polished).

As far as Windows as a whole goes, it would take decades for it to fall below 50%, but the market share is definitely not going to stay above 90% in the next year or two. Mac has taken so many customers due to people's pleasure with iOS, and quite honestly people who go mac don't usually return to windows. Especially with the diverse windows hardware available, you really never know what you are gong to get, as each has a big flaw in design/performance in some area. Say what you will, but with Macs the overall experience will NEVER leave you saying "but the speaker sucks" or "but the keyboard sucks" or "but the keys are not backlit" or "too much bloatware" or "no drivers after update" or the screen sucks" or "it's heavy" ... etc etc etc... their machines are always all around good performers, never having one or two major points of skimping out for cost purposes. Widows OEMs make good stuff but there is a trust problem as they all have poor track records and if the device is truly all around good, then what it the support like? People have learned with apple that you pay a little more but you get peace of mind. I priced out an iMac and a Dell XPS 27 inch all in one.. and for the same price the iMac offering was more powerful and better quality and even had features that Dell doesn't offer. Wan't a powerful SurfaceBook, you pay more than you would for an equivalent Macbook Pro. At the higher end Apple's prices are not horrendous as some say they are. What makes Apple look bad/expensive is that they have no 'cheap' line of products so everything seems expensive. Never the less, If you want quality you pay for it, no matter who the manufacturer. If you want junk, then that will always be available and that's what will keep Windows afloat for decades to come. The junk consumer market.... you know, the laptops with 70% nice features and a crappy screen, or a nice screen and a crappy processor, or crappy speakers, or a horrible keyboard, or filled with bloatware.

Google is ramping up for some sort of their own OS deployment, not just Chromebooks but mainstream desktop replacements with filing systems and native apps. I have an xps 13 from last year but mostly I just use my Chromebook, even when I travel. It really does literally 99% of what I need. If they added just a few more features to the OS (which they will), I can completely live without windows (or osx). It's going to happen, so MS is further going to lose market-share in their desktop/laptop arena. Poor performance and impending doom for Windows mobile is the LEAST of their worries.

Last edited:

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
But then I just get called a ******, discarded. I don't get it.

I just kept this line in to have a concise format... But, I agree with this post to a severe degree.

Having a preference that doesn't bring all the rich and pretty kids to your table, and not caring about that fact in the least, is a sign of a mature independent thought process. Every single mobile platform sucks in their own unique way, but they are also very good in other departments. Today it isn't a great season for Win 10 Mobile, and for many it may never be... But what the hell does that have to do with YOUR preferences?

I'm not going to pretend Windows 10 Mobile hadn't hit the Rockies, but I'm not going to be without it even if I have to jump back and forth between software builds. I don't care what rich blondes spit in my face about with their politics and business jargon, and deep down they don't care if I don't care. These mobile wars are like High School drama, if you aren't past that point, you aren't past the age of eighteen in decision making skills.

Last edited:

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
It really is kinda fun to read all the gloom and doom post in the forums. They have been saying the Sky is falling for a long time, and that they are leaving Windows mobile and the end is coming. But it is still here, we are still here and most of them are still here posting that the Sky is falling and how bad it all is. I'm sure there are more Windows Mobile lovers out there than there is Haters, we just don't have anything to complain about. But by all means keep it up, better than the Sunday comics.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Close this thread already

My windows phone is alive and kicking
Customer care centers are alive
Windows 10 mobile is alive and growing and updating

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members