(Deja Vu) Palm all over again?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Most of the enterprises still have standard hardware, not super slim laptops.. I dont think I've ever seen, X1 Carbon for example, used by anyone except Execs/managers with "connections".

Just like the post by PepperdotNet above, if x86 is released and it actually works correctly with the rest of MS infrastructure, it will be the device of choice for businesses.
Continuum right now is a "technology test" and so far its pretty successful....

Right, companies will shell out for a gimmick rather than reliability and serviceability. Sounds like you guys have no idea how a business works. Good thing businesses aren't run by Microsoft fanboys....

Zhenren Zhou

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Nah. I believe it's just slow to take off. We have to notice that MS has changed its strategy. Windows 10 is now a success and Windows 10 has a weapon called Universal Windows Platform. Hulu has released their W10 app for both desktop and mobile, FUNimation is going to release an app by the end of the month. Other big names included World of Tanks Blitz, the Guardian, etc. Also, there are tons of Premium third-party apps out there. Such as Tweetium, Aeries, Unstream. So, just be patient, let Universal Windows Platform do its work. Apps are coming. The biggest hurdle of Windows phones are being neutralized. We shall see an increase in market share by the end of the year.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Nah. I believe it's just slow to take off. We have to notice that MS has changed its strategy. Windows 10 is now a success and Windows 10 has a weapon called Universal Windows Platform. Hulu has released their W10 app for both desktop and mobile, FUNimation is going to release an app by the end of the month. Other big names included World of Tanks Blitz, the Guardian, etc. Also, there are tons of Premium third-party apps out there. Such as Tweetium, Aeries, Unstream. So, just be patient, let Universal Windows Platform do its work. Apps are coming. The biggest hurdle of Windows phones are being neutralized. We shall see an increase in market share by the end of the year.

Be patient? Many of us have already been way too patient. After seeing the presentation last evening from Samsung, why on earth would I ever think of returning to using a non polished, buggy and pathetic platform?

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Be patient? Many of us have already been way too patient. After seeing the presentation last evening from Samsung, why on earth would I ever think of returning to using a non polished, buggy and pathetic platform?

You realize entering a market that is so dominated by iOS and Android isn't an easy battle. And yes, you could go to one of those other platforms if you wanted. I prefer the experience provided by Microsoft though. I don't get the same experience on Android. Yeah, maybe one can argue its more polished, but when I use my wife's phone... it just feels bleh. W10M is ahead of its time. Universal Windows Platform is going to be awesome. Continuum will start to pick up. Look at what HP is doing with it. It's going to change the way some people interact with a computer (if they end up even needing a computer anymore).

Vladimir Ka

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Right, companies will shell out for a gimmick rather than reliability and serviceability. Sounds like you guys have no idea how a business works. Good thing businesses aren't run by Microsoft fanboys....

Um.. considering I've worked for some major corporations, I do know how they work. Maybe not your "small shops" with 1000ish employees.. But small/rich startups and major businesses would buy in..
You think its a gimmick, but like I said, its a "technological test", and it works.

Once x86 phone (or x64) is released and it works like it should, it will sell.
People are already using iPads and Surfaces at work, I dont see why Continuum wouldnt be added to the mix as a major player.

PJHenry brought up an excellent example, HP.. read this:
Business-focused HP Elite x3 unveiled, comes with Windows 10, SD820, and 4GB RAM - GSMArena.com news

You realize entering a market that is so dominated by iOS and Android isn't an easy battle. And yes, you could go to one of those other platforms if you wanted. I prefer the experience provided by Microsoft though. I don't get the same experience on Android. Yeah, maybe one can argue its more polished, but when I use my wife's phone... it just feels bleh. W10M is ahead of its time. Universal Windows Platform is going to be awesome. Continuum will start to pick up. Look at what HP is doing with it. It's going to change the way some people interact with a computer (if they end up even needing a computer anymore).

Vladimir Ka

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
And another example, HP's Elite X3 is already designed for businesses in mind, they had to specifically say that it will be available for general public.
So its not just MS's pipe dream, HP is not some flaky company. Clearly there is a long term strategy..

"There's just one problem. The device is designed for businesses."

"Luckily, they will. HP issued the following statement to Neowin:
The HP Elite x3 will be sold a variety of ways. On hp.com, via distributor/VARs (indirect/direct channels), the HP sales force and Microsoft will sell this in the carrier channels on our behalf. In some countries, HP Elite x3 may also be sold by partner operators’ sales network. For more details, visit hp.com."

Consumers will be able to purchase the HP Elite x3

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

I do get your point, but Microsoft is trying for 5 years to make a change and failed so far in the most part. Regarding windows 10 mobile, it does not matter if you have all the features you could possibly want, all the ultra high end phones available, if the OS is a buggy mess, a terrible experience, and the apps are updated once a year and lack many features found on the other platforms.
Let's say someone decides to ditch his android/ios device and decides to try a windows phone, a lumia 950/XL or a 650. He is a person used to have it's phone Work, he does not give pretty much importance to apps. What does he get? a nice phone indeed, but with a broken, still beta OS, nowhere specified in the ads. Those phones are being sold like any other finished products when the OS on them is NOT! The average Joe does not give a damn about insider builds or: next update will fix things, or Soon...he buys a phone from the store and finds out that it has dozens of problems because the OS maker doesn't give a damn about it. By the time win10mobile will indeed be fixed to a stable and bug free build, the majority will be either on the other side or will say: I'll pass.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I do get your point, but Microsoft is trying for 5 years to make a change and failed so far in the most part. Regarding windows 10 mobile, it does not matter if you have all the features you could possibly want, all the ultra high end phones available, if the OS is a buggy mess, a terrible experience, and the apps are updated once a year and lack many features found on the other platforms.
Let's say someone decides to ditch his android/ios device and decides to try a windows phone, a lumia 950/XL or a 650. He is a person used to have it's phone Work, he does not give pretty much importance to apps. What does he get? a nice phone indeed, but with a broken, still beta OS, nowhere specified in the ads. Those phones are being sold like any other finished products when the OS on them is NOT! The average Joe does not give a damn about insider builds or: next update will fix things, or Soon...he buys a phone from the store and finds out that it has dozens of problems because the OS maker doesn't give a damn about it. By the time win10mobile will indeed be fixed to a stable and bug free build, the majority will be either on the other side or will say: I'll pass.

But Microsoft *isn't* trying to sell Lumia 950XL to the average consumer. They're *not* trying to get people to switch just yet. When was the last time you saw a Lumia 950 XL commercial? It's being sold because Windows phone users that don't want to switch wanted a newer phone. They pretty much targeted fans specifically. They'll next target business, with the likes of the HP Elite x3. Everyone keeps thinking Microsoft is trying to increase marketshare right *now*. They're not. They're working on getting into position to increase it later. They know they can't sell this to the mainstream.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If they were targeting fans, they would have an OS on it that isn't a mess as fans are usually pretty demanding. Even the least demanding fan must be getting pretty tired of the 'yea, it's crap but we're not trying so it's OK' routine by now. If they can't even sell to the fans, MS will never get to move on to phase 2 - world domination.

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Should have come with a beta tag warning if it was for the fans

well... it did for awhile. when the microsoft store first started selling the 950/XL phones, it said it came with Windows 10 Mobile beta. At some point between then and now, they updated it to say it just runs Windows 10.

If they were targeting fans, they would have an OS on it that isn't a mess as fans are usually pretty demanding. Even the least demanding fan must be getting pretty tired of the 'yea, it's crap but we're not trying so it's OK' routine by now. If they can't even sell to the fans, MS will never get to move on to phase 2 - world domination.

I'd have to disagree here. As you can see, there are some diehard fans here in regards to Windows. The people defending them and coming up with various perspectives that imply Microsoft *does* care and *hasn't* given up and has a plan. We also realize that while they have lots of money, they can't afford to throw *everything* at Mobile right now, so it is slow & steady, but honestly, I wouldn't give up on Microsoft right now. Do I think its possible it'll fail? Yes. Do I think its inevitable that they'll fail? Absolutely not. I will continue to support them until they stop making a phone OS or do something ridiculous. Right now I think they're doing the best they can with what they have.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
well... it did for awhile. when the microsoft store first started selling the 950/XL phones, it said it came with Windows 10 Mobile beta. At some point between then and now, they updated it to say it just runs Windows 10.

I'd have to disagree here. As you can see, there are some diehard fans here in regards to Windows. The people defending them and coming up with various perspectives that imply Microsoft *does* care and *hasn't* given up and has a plan. We also realize that while they have lots of money, they can't afford to throw *everything* at Mobile right now, so it is slow & steady, but honestly, I wouldn't give up on Microsoft right now. Do I think its possible it'll fail? Yes. Do I think its inevitable that they'll fail? Absolutely not. I will continue to support them until they stop making a phone OS or do something ridiculous. Right now I think they're doing the best they can with what they have.

You have some good points here, but there is a question. How many would trust their investment in a phone that is still running a buggy OS? Microsoft's strategy is pretty clear, but the way they are doing things do not inspire trust that you won;t end up with a device running a dead platform someday not too far away...a device that no one will buy it from you anymore. As for the x50 series, it's a two way high way :), selling them with a still not ready OS is not something that is seen as rightful to be done. I've seen many online commercials to the 950,950XL...so those phones are being advertised in some manner, and from here the problem. Are being advertised as fully working devices, while in reality are running the OS in the state that it is right now, with issues, a fact that cannot be accepted by many users, fans or not.
Even a fan will have a second thought if you try to sell him a new device running a broken OS in testing phase, while asking the same price range as many other competitors. I really think that these x50 series would have been better released with WP8.1 and advertised to be the best to support windows 10 mobile when READY, giving the option to either stay on a stable OS or TRY the new one. But at least, the users would then have had a choice. No matter what many are saying, NO other has ever released a phone with the OS with so many issues, with the entire system still in testing phase. Think of the IOS 8 betas, those were the worst betas in Apple history. Imagine what would have happened if the new iphone would have been released with the OS in that state? A fiasco, that's what.
Every time I see a windows phone running 8.1 it's like getting a bit of fresh air because it is smoother, faster and issue free.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Should have come with a beta tag warning if it was for the fans
The fans these phones were targeted at do in fact know about the Insider program, know the software isn't finished. I suppose in rare instances someone might have bought one that wasn't made aware of its very existence by following sites like this one. But it's more likely they bought it because they are a fan, and follow these things, and knew good and well what they were getting (or have self-deluded to the point that they ignored all the warnings).

justonlumia

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
There should be no excuse for not including an unfinished/work in progress/beta OS warning on device sold as a finished good. Eventually laws need to be made on these, until then they themselves are ruining the trust.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The fans these phones were targeted at do in fact know about the Insider program, know the software isn't finished. I suppose in rare instances someone might have bought one that wasn't made aware of its very existence by following sites like this one. But it's more likely they bought it because they are a fan, and follow these things, and knew good and well what they were getting (or have self-deluded to the point that they ignored all the warnings).
So Microsoft's definition of a fan is someone who will buy any crap product they throw out without question? Seems like they don't have a high regard for their fans.

Honestly though, looking at the number of people in these forums defending Microsoft for putting out an unfinished OS, I think they actually got it spot on. Microsoft fans will actually buy and defend anything and everything Microsoft does.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
We fans are looking at the bigger picture and see the platform for what it can be, admittedly it takes longer than we'd like for it to get there.

almalino

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I bought 2 Lumia 950 for me and my girlfriend. So far it is a great experience though I see some great w8m apps to slowly stop working without good replacement yet on w10m.

Meanwhile when I look at new Samsung Galaxy S7 that is slim waterproof Android phone with wireless charging and glance screen. I start wondering what will my device be in 1 year time. Hopefully still Microsoft but that Samsung is tempting.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We fans are looking at the bigger picture and see the platform for what it can be, admittedly it takes longer than we'd like for it to get there.
True. This is what I personally have been doing for more five years now. Unlike a lot of the others though, I have moved on in the meantime. How long do we keep saying this? "What it can be" has been imminent many times already in the last five years. I live and breathe Microsoft in my work, but that doesn't mean I jump all over everything that comes down the pike.

I think a couple things are happening with Windows Phone's apologists; either they now have Stockholm Syndrome, or their hatred of the alternatives is strong enough to keep them here.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
So Microsoft's definition of a fan is someone who will buy any crap product they throw out without question? Seems like they don't have a high regard for their fans.

Honestly though, looking at the number of people in these forums defending Microsoft for putting out an unfinished OS, I think they actually got it spot on. Microsoft fans will actually buy and defend anything and everything Microsoft does.

Touchdown!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought 2 Lumia 950 for me and my girlfriend. So far it is a great experience though I see some great w8m apps to slowly stop working without good replacement yet on w10m.

Meanwhile when I look at new Samsung Galaxy S7 that is slim waterproof Android phone with wireless charging and glance screen. I start wondering what will my device be in 1 year time. Hopefully still Microsoft but that Samsung is tempting.

The device itself will be just fine, maybe with a working OS, but with a resale value lower than 60% of it's current price...at least in EU WP resale prices are very low

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss